The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buddy Emmons photography?
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2022 3:46 pm    

I was just reading another old interview with Buddy and he mentions his interest in photography and some of the equipment he used. he even had his own darkroom for developing color and b/w film.

just wondering if anyone has any examples of his work. what type of subjects did he enjoy photographing? I know he was in charge of the classic cover photo for his Black Album, even if Peggy was the one who actually snapped it.

I assume the upcoming biography will offer details, but I'd love to know more and see some of his photos if possible.

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2022 4:02 pm     Buddy and photography

I remember in the late 80's/ 90's Buddy wearing a 35 mm camera shopping at FoodMax in Hermitage Tn. I worked the meat dept. Often saw Hal Rugg. I'm sure Buddy was a photo bug.Peggy was there many times also.

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2022 1:17 pm    

Very interesting topic and worth studying like the hobbies of any other groundbreaking artist.

Emmons took the photo for Stonewall Jackson’s LP cover “The Lonesome In Me." Stonewall told me this story: Emmons was booked on a Stonewall session at Columbia. He showed up with his camera and Jimmy Day. Emmons explained, he had quit playing steel and was a photographer now and that Day would work the session. Day worked, Emmons snapped, and the result was the LP cover photo and the sides from the session.

I don’t know how much of the story occurred or was pieced together from different events (like any show biz story), but it sure sounds to me like what that crew would do at that time, high-spirited and always ready to have fun.

As we know, Peggy Emmons took the cover photo of Emmons Guitar, Inc., so certainly, Buddy Emmons composed the setting and adjusted the camera.

Here also is a photo we’ve all seen: Pat O'Hara, Peggy Emmons, and photographer, Buddy Emmons, at the 1979 St. Louis convention.

Last edited by robert kramer on 26 Mar 2022 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2022 3:00 pm     hobbies

brings back good memories,and good times. thanks for the pics.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2022 4:37 pm    

great info/story Robert! I had no idea he shot any other album covers.

is that photo really 1997? Buddy looks younger than that. reminds me a bit of my Dad who was also a camera enthusiast

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2022 6:42 pm    

Mr. Scott Murry, Good eye on your part. Bad typing on my part. The photo is from the 1979 St. Louis convention. Thanks very much for correcting the error.