The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Klon as a buffer
Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2019 2:57 pm    

Just wanted to mention....

Been on a bit of a quest lately to minimize wires/cables in my setup. Especially cables on the floor. Recently bought a Goodrich Volume pedal, and I really like it. I have to say, I don’t like it as much as my Lehle Volume, but as I mentioned before, wanted to eliminate the rats nest of cables to trip over on the floor.

However, after adding a Klon style clone to my setup (Rimrock Mythical Overdrive) the loss of detail that comes with a passive volume pedal is gone. I am thinking this is due to the buffer in the Mythical OD.

This is a great pedal. I can leave it on all the time for a small bump in midrange, or use it as a boost pedal. I love the way my Pro Reverb sounds with this setup. Everything is sweeter sounding. I should mention that it is mounted on a Pedaltrain Nano that sits next to me off the floor.

Anybody else using a Klon style OD similarly?

Gibson Hartwell

Missoula, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2019 2:47 am    

Hey Charlie, I had a project a number of years ago where I used a Klon pretty regularly with a Goodrich. I bought mine before prices went through the roof.

I used it for a show last year on a tune that needed some grit, and man, it really does have a brilliant midrange and was a refreshing contrast to the typical scooped Fenderish sound I’m accustomed to. I really like the tone control on the Klon and it reminds me a lot of that on a Matchbox.

The choice of passive/active pedals, buffers and guitar cords sure can play a big role in impacting and shaping the signal that reaches your amp. Like you, I prefer a simpler setup and I’m usually happy with just the passive pedal and good cords between the steel and amp. Are you using a good quality cords? I usually don’t use a buffer and have no issues with definition.

Travis Egnor

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2019 6:57 am    

Did you guys use the Klon(e) before or after the volume pedal?

Gibson Hartwell

Missoula, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2019 7:10 am    

When I use mine it is for effect only, I'm not using it to compensate for impact of the passive pedal, so it goes after the volume pedal. That way i can control the grit as well.

Chris Tarrow

Maplewood, NJ
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2019 7:10 am    

would love to hear sounds samples with and without!

I use this Empress Buffer+

guitar goes in
volume pedal goes in the loop
output goes to pedals
tuner out goes to tuner

if the amp is super bright you can dial down the input loading.

it's pretty cool.

Gibson Hartwell

Missoula, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2019 5:32 pm    

Here’s a recording that I used it on. You can definitely hear the grit in there. Don’t have any A/B comparisons but this give a bit of the idea, I was using a Williams through a Princeton here. https://youtu.be/d7oufcBMaOM