The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Paul Franklin ?
Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2010 8:35 pm    

Dear Paul,
Steve Gibson, myself and the entire Grand Ole Opry band remember seeing you on TV playing with Barbara Mandrell circa 1974 or 1973? You were playing a white "tidewood" MSA equipped with black hardware. We would like to see and hear this clip on Youtube again! We are having trouble locating the clip. Any info you could provide will be so appreciated my friend.
You were the topic of conversation this evening at the Opry. We were also trying to put together the time line of who you worked with through that era. I followed you in Donna Fargo's band in 1976. I remember hearing you play " Orange Blossom Special" on the local radio station at the Wheeling WV. "Jamboree in the Hills" as we pulled up in the bus. You were playing with Mel Tillis at the time.Incredible.
So sorry for rambling. Hope all is well with you!
Best,
TW

Franklin

Post  Posted 18 Dec 2010 4:03 am    

Hi Tommy,

The clip would be from "Hee Haw" or "That Nashville Music".......It was in 1972.....Barbara brought me to town....In September of the same year I worked for Dottie West....I wasn't crazy about the scene in Nashville or the road life so I moved back to Detroit at the beginning of 73. After a few months when Lynn Anderson called I moved back to Nashville which is when Steve Gibson and I met......It was Steve's first gig in town and what a great player he is.....He could play everything from Leon Rhodes to Jimmy Hendrix....We remain dear friends to this day........At the end of 74 I took Donna Fargo's gig and then I left to starve trying to stay in town......I distinctly remember when you hit town like a hurricane full of talent....You didn't leave many trees standing....I am proud of our friendship lasting from our early teens until our now "almost" senior years......AARP sends me letters all the time.....Damn....That hurts.....Seriously, to see all that you have accomplished with this instrument, your career, and family is amazing........As I remember we all had wild hair back then..... Winking If you all find the clip, let me know and ignore the hair........LOL

Happy Holidays, Paul

Oh, and tell all hello for me......IMO, The band at the Opry is showcasing the art of great musicianship at its highest level....Each player relentlessly offers their enormous talents with class and respect to each artist. Team fellowship doesn't get any better than this......

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2010 6:52 am    

Wow...Thank you so much for the very kind and detailed reply my dear friend. I value our friendship deeply. Smile I also have the most respect for you and the accomplishments you have made on and for pedal steel guitar as well. I'm sure the boys and I will be searching Youtube between songs this evening.
And I agree, Steve Gibson is an awesome person and musician. Glad he and I became friends too!
Again, my sincerest thanks!
Merry Christmas!
Oh, by the way, I think I will join AARP! I'm tired of shredding the letters!

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2010 8:05 am    

lol, they keep sending the letters even after you join Tommy Smile
Hook

Rusty Rhoads

The Motor City
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2010 8:35 am    

TG i do not get AARP Letter's instead i get junk mail enough i can heat a house with every year UGH!
i think i found my nich making photo shop picture's

Last edited by Rusty Rhoads on 18 Dec 2010 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Dickie Whitley

Post  Posted 18 Dec 2010 8:55 am    

Last edited by Dickie Whitley on 12 Feb 2011 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2010 9:43 am    

heck with the video clip......

tell some stories about all these hot women calling you to come "play" with them!!!! Winking

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 18 Dec 2010 6:27 pm    

As one who owns a few pedal steel guitars...it's sad to note that the only thing Paul Franklin and I have in common is that we both were living in Detroit in 1973 and we both throw away AARP letters. Smile

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2010 8:04 pm     Xmas!

ahhh,,,al little peep into the past...of our heros...I had hair once too..Happy Holidays Tommy, Paul...!!!..
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

David Beckner

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2010 8:26 pm    

Rusty
Being an old car buff and a struggling steeler I think you might consider making this a print available to all of us classic enthusiest..
BEHRINGER RACK TUNER
CUSH CASE RACK
PEAVEY DELTA FEX
PARTS CASTER.Gospel and Classic Country Music
http://www.dbupholstery.yolasite.com

Fred Amendola

Lancaster, Pa.
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2010 9:02 pm    

Paul was on Hee Haw with Barbara Mandrell doing "Show Me" and "Satisfied/Old Time Religion." Like he said, 1972.
I too am waiting for this to finally come up on the Hee Haw reruns, if ever.
Paul was just burnin, and Gerald Reid was the guitar player, with his right arm in a cast no less. Paul and Gerry had solos in Satisfied. Oh man.

I have a really bad quality audio only of it, but it would be great to see on YouTube.

Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2010 7:21 am    

Paul Franklin and Tommy White, two of the absolute best this industry has been fortunate enough to have, and certainly two of my greatest friends ever! May you both live long and prosper. (Oh ya, I think my AARP membership is currently up to date) Laughing

Bob Lawrence

Beaver Bank, Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2010 3:39 pm    

@Paul

re: The clip would be from "Hee Haw" or "That Nashville Music".......It was in 1972..

How about "Pop Goes The Country" Show

Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2010 7:35 pm     Tommy & paul

I Have Known Tommy Sence He was 13 years When he played at Jole rays in Hodgenville .ky. And Paul Sence 1981 From Jeffran school. SONNY(aka) Hank ray.

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2010 8:07 pm    

I'm past the AARP stuff, now I get these on a regular basis and it makes me wonder if they know something that I don't...

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2010 8:45 am    

Sad Geez ,you too Chas? .....man no wonder they push those anti-depressants like m&m's lol.....Stormy. Laughing

Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2010 10:15 pm    

The first time I saw Paul was in '77 on a TV shot with Linda Hargrove. It blew me down and I remember discussing that shot with Reece and how he was also super amazed.

Dave O'Brien

Florida and New Jersey
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2010 6:43 am     Paul

Paul - Was that You on "Standing Room Only" (Live)? What guitar was that! It blows me away!

Kenny Martin

Chapin, S.C. USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2010 7:08 am    

Tommy/Paul

As Tommy and Lloyd did not long ago, what's the chance of you two guys doing a video like that?

Of course i would like it center around speed picken but to watch you two would be an historic event! You guys are the Buddy and Lloyd of my days at playing steel!

I had a VHS tape i recorded all the Austin City Limits shows on and it had Paul playing "Heart Over Mind" with Mel that i spent a long time learning how to play what he did! I also had Tommy playin with the Whites on the Opry when he had a red Emmons. The camera was close and Tommy played the first string and raised it with his finger beside the bar! I spent a year learning this and still do it today even though i have a lever that will do it as well!
My ex-wife kept my tapes but recently my daighter said she had them. I'm searching for this one!

Thanks for staying true to who you guys are! Class!!
Two hero's of mine for sure!
km