The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  TAB? Where is it?
J. Wilson

Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2010 7:22 pm    

I have BIAB 12 build 21 for Mac. Anyone know how to turn on the tab feature? I want to see the tab AND the notation. I imagine there has to be a way...

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2010 7:35 am    

Howdy, I don't think BIAB has a tab capability. At least I'm not aware of it.

J. Wilson

Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2010 7:38 am    

I was watching a tutorial online and the version the fellow was using showed the tab with the notation. I was like Hey! THAT is awesome. I need that!

Then when I looked for it I couldn't find it anywhere... couldn't even find reference to it in google. And now I can't find the vid I watched! Sad

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2010 8:44 am    

Yes, BIAB will show/print Guitar tab (standard 6-string guitar) along with notes.

First you need to enter the notes of the melody. Tab won't appear until the notes are entered. To access the note writing mode click on the note icon. After you've finished putting the notes in, click on the Opt. button. An option box appears, and at the top left where it says Track Type, choose "Guitar" and the guitar tab will pop into place. You can then select where on the guitar neck you want to place the tablature. To do that, click on the guitar icon and then chose which frets you want the tab to be on. For example, you may choose to cluster the tab around frets 3 to 5 on the upper strings, or you may choose to place the tab (same notes) around frets 10, 8, lower strings, etc. You can adjust the Size of the tab in the print options menu.

One of the problems with BIAB guitar Tab... it centers the tab in one area of the neck (that you choose) for the Entire song. So, for example, if you want to play part of a verse on the lower frets and then move to upper frets for the second part of the verse... you can't do that with BIAB tab. BIAB places the tab in one area of the neck for the entire song, which often makes for some awkward patterns and fingerings. I'm using version 2007, and that's how mine works. Maybe newer versions work different..? I use TableEdit for guitar and steel tab, and it blows away the BIAB tab, as most music writing programs would do. Cool

J. Wilson

Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2010 10:38 am    

Awesome, thanks for the info Doug! I will take a look at the TableEdit option. It might not be feasible for me tho -- I am a Mac user.

While I have your attention, may I ask when your next book of C6 will be out?

Rich Sullivan

Nelson, NH 03457
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2010 3:44 pm    

I run TablEdit on a Mac.

Gary Baker

Charlotte, North Carolina
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2010 3:44 pm    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
Yes, BIAB will show/print Guitar tab (standard 6-string guitar) along with notes.

First you need to enter the notes of the melody. Tab won't appear until the notes are entered. To access the note writing mode click on the note icon. After you've finished putting the notes in, click on the Opt. button. An option box appears, and at the top left where it says Track Type, choose "Guitar" and the guitar tab will pop into place. You can then select where on the guitar neck you want to place the tablature. To do that, click on the guitar icon and then chose which frets you want the tab to be on. For example, you may choose to cluster the tab around frets 3 to 5 on the upper strings, or you may choose to place the tab (same notes) around frets 10, 8, lower strings, etc. You can adjust the Size of the tab in the print options menu.

One of the problems with BIAB guitar Tab... it centers the tab in one area of the neck (that you choose) for the Entire song. So, for example, if you want to play part of a verse on the lower frets and then move to upper frets for the second part of the verse... you can't do that with BIAB tab. BIAB places the tab in one area of the neck for the entire song, which often makes for some awkward patterns and fingerings. I'm using version 2007, and that's how mine works. Maybe newer versions work different..? I use TableEdit for guitar and steel tab, and it blows away the BIAB tab, as most music writing programs would do. Cool

+++1 for TablEdit or Power Tab Editor (freeware).

Gary

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2010 5:13 pm    

Quote:
may I ask when your next book of C6 will be out?

Thanks J.W., I'm hoping to have a new C6 song book/CD done by March 2011, Today I discovered that I need finger surgery very soon, and that will set me back a few weeks. I'm still hoping to have a new book/CD ready for early next year. thanks for asking.

J. Wilson

Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2010 5:25 pm    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
Today I discovered that I need finger surgery very soon

Yikes! What happened? A guitar injury? I hope not. If so, please advise on how we can avoid such a thing.

I already suspect the onset of arthritis in one knuckle (it comes and goes).

Thanks again for the tab info! I look forward to your next C6 book. Will it have Ghost Riders in it? Smile

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2010 6:20 pm    

The finger injury is from many years of playing guitar and steel guitar, and probably computer use. The index finger on my picking hand is very painful... I have trigger finger. Every time I pick a string I get a stinging pain in that finger, so I'm cutting way back on my playing. Last year I had a shot of cortisone in that finger and it helped for about 9 months, but now the pain is back. So now I have to see a hand surgeon. Getting old is not fun!

Yes, the new book will have Ghost Riders in it.

Donald Gabriel

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2010 5:56 am     Pain in finger not the ***

Doug,
I have seen a hand surgeon about the same problems...I took up the steel because I love it and could no longer play standard guitar...now I find I need triads to sound decent...anyway, another option that has helped me tremendously...go to Mayo Clinic website and find exercises for hands like we have..also get some Celebrex...my family doc wouldn't prescribe it, my hand surgeon did...just take a yearly test for liver function..but Celebrex made me reconsider the surgery..knuckle replacement and fusion is irreversible....hope this helps...Don
Peavey VYPYR 3 Amp Boss DD-7
Peavey Austin 400 amp
Fender American Strat Purple
Smithsburg, MD