The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ohio: Mike Sigler Show
Walter Jones

Athens, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2007 4:47 pm    

Yesterday afternoon I went to meet my brother and his wife, then we went to Breman, Ohio. We went ot the Liberty Bell Restaurant for dinner and a show.

Mike Sigler has put together a mighty fine show with a lot of talent. You are not going to believe this but the price of admission is $5 each. Show time is 4 PM, played 2 hours straight and then took a break. After a 30 minute break he brought on Samantha Maxwell, she was home for Christmas from Belmont college in Nashville. This little girl can SING. She did a couple of Patsy and Tammy tunes. Crazy and Stand By Your Man, ever time I hear someone that is going to do those songs I think to myself, You got to have a lot of nerve to sing those songs. But let me tell you, she did a killer job. I liked it so well I bought one of her CD's after the show. After listening to the CD on the way home my wife says she can cover anything from Country to Broadway tunes . The second set was about an hour and a half.

But enough about her, Mike put together a trip down memory lane starting on the West coast with Buck Owens to Nashville with Marty Robbins, Faron Young , John Conlee, George Jones Johnny and June and ended up with Elvis , complete with the hair and sideburns and sun glasses.
The best one of all was Willie, with red hair and pigtails, and Julio Iglasias (spelling?)doing All The Girls I've Loved Before. With each singer line ,a fast change of wigs and bandana. It was a hoot, really brought the house down.

For those of you that know what a great steel player Mike is and have also heard him sing you can appreciate the act. Its not a large venue but not a bad seat in the house. You can go up to the counter and order your meal if you want to eat, it will be served to your table, if you don't want to eat that is OK too. The food is very reasonable and just good Country home cooking.

The place opens at 2 PM but you better get there between 3 and 3:30 PM for a close seat. There is a small dance floor at the end of the hall. There is also a seperate dining area out front if you do not want to dine in the show area. He can seat 160 people comfortably and the place was full.

You are close enough to the stage that Mike interacts well with the crowd and the music is not so loud it blasts you out of the place. 4 piece band, steel , lead guitar base and drums. He also has a differant guest artist each week plus he may call someone up that just happed to stop by. They are located about 50 miles southeast of Columbus and easy to find.

I talked to Mike before and after the show and he is working hard to bring in more acts. All in all it was a really fun evening, entertainment with a capital "E". So if you would like to hear some good country and see a good show give them a try. No reservations required or taken, first come first serve. I know they have a web site but I didn't write it down, maybe mike could post it here.

Thanks for a great evening Mike, it was nice to see Sally again also, she is looking great. For those of us that know, BTDT, Sally had the band doing a little close order drill when we got there, like marching in a one foot square just so they know who is really in charge. Laughing We will go back again.

Mike Sigler

Give Em A Try !
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2007 10:53 am    

Walt
Thank's for the kind words... what a great time we have there... come see us real soon !
here is a link to the show page..
http://www.freewebs.com/mikesiglerjam

Lots of hot pickn' great food, and fun !
mikey Smile

Jerry Lee Newberry

Prim, AR USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2008 6:46 am    

This sounds like a GREAT SHOW!!!!!!!!!!! I knew Mike could play, but don't think I ever heard him sing. Maybe he will treat us to that when we see him at another show.

Donna

John Heinrich

Whites Creek, TN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2008 1:08 pm     Great Player!

Mike is one great player and I'm sure the talent he had around him was wonderful! Thumbs up!
Single 10 2008 EXCEL "My Money Maker"
Single neck universal 14 string EXCEL
Dobro, Saxophone, Oboe, English Horn, Flute, Horn Sections, Lap Steel
615/828-1182 cell

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2008 8:50 am    

Thanks for the info. I'll have to make it a point to get over there. There are a couple of new steel players in my area that should probably come with me just to see how it's really done.

Jerry, Mike can sing all right! He won't shy away from Farwell Party and other vocal challenges. And, yes he put the Gene Watson ending on that one.

Joseph V. Sapp

eastern shore, Md.
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2008 6:05 pm    

Can Mike Sing???? thats sort of like asking,,,Can mike play??? wow is all I can say. 100% showmanship from the word go. I havent been to the new place, but as soon as the weather breaks,,,,I'm headed to the buckeye state. one class act, good eatin, and fantastic music,,,,what else can ya ask for.

Joe

Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 4:05 pm    

Bump .

Marilyn Myers

Merritt, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2008 12:58 pm    

We've had the pleasure of attending Mike's Show a couple times and throughly enjoyed it. It's worth the trip and we highly recommend it. Lots of fun, good food and great people. Way to go, Mikey!

Girls & Guitars,
Marilyn & Jaxie

Mike Sigler

Give Em A Try !
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2008 4:26 pm    

Hey Folks, A great big thank you for the kind words..
as far as my singing, well, i guess there are mixed opinions about that!..Smile
But if your ever around ohio, i can promise if you stop by, you will hear a ton of classic country! and hot pickn' with some down home cooking for about 5 Bucks!... Hows that for a deal? and i won't sing if ya don't want me too.. Smile
Mikey!

Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2008 5:06 pm     Mike Sigler

On the contrary my dear friend, your singing is every bit as good as your playing, and it's all first class! I've yet to see ANYONE as good as you are at both! Always a pleasure.

Hey Mikey.... we like it! Smile

Buck Grantham

Denham Springs, LA. USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2008 5:52 pm     Mike

Mike is one of my favorite players. He plays with great taste and is very friendly. I always enjoy his shows.. Buck & Mitzi Grantham

Mike Sigler

Give Em A Try !
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2008 4:23 pm    

You All Are to Kind... Embarassed

Jimmie Martin

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2008 3:47 am     Mike

I saw and heard Mike play at a seminar a couple years back at Gary Preston's church and i figure Mike has burned up a few GFI's. How do you get your fingers to go so fast Mike? Shocked

Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2008 4:13 am     Re: Mike

Jimmie Martin wrote:
I saw and heard Mike play at a seminar a couple years back at Gary Preston's church and i figure Mike has burned up a few GFI's. How do you get your fingers to go so fast Mike? Shocked

Jimmie. It's called "Magic." As you know, the hand is quicker than the eyes and the ears, and what Mike does is really just a simple "magic trick". Unfortunately, Mike and Doug Jernigan are the only guys that know how to do it. They told me that it's another one of those "trade secrets" they just can't talk about. Laughing

Don't try this at home! Remember, these guys are highly trained professionals, and what they do is very dangerous!

Mike Sigler

Give Em A Try !
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2008 9:26 pm    

Danny
you Know it is all in the strings!
You Know the ones, That new speed pickn' pack you sale now... They are super fast...
mikey