The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  One of a kind flamed maple 10-string custom pedal steel
Anthony Sims

Cleveland, TN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2007 12:13 pm    

I picked this up recently & had a fit trying to find out info about it & eventually found out they were never marketed or sold, but only built by special request by a guy named JD Angel. Its a beautiful steel with great looking flamed wood & other wood inserts, pearl & other inlays down the neck. Custom wound pickup & nice case with blue velvet interior. I eventually tracked down JD Angel to ask him about it & remembered this specific guitar. He said if he had to put a price on this guitar it would be around $3500. He also said Bob WIll's steel player used one of his steels for about 14 years.

I'd like to get $2200 for it.. but I dont know a lot about steels at this time. I would welcome any additional info or pointers. My email address is HillbillySims@aol.com. Please email me at that rather than on here because I dont check this site often.

HERE IS A LINK TO THE GUITAR WITH PICS: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:11&item=280100461239

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2007 3:53 pm    

Well Anthony, I'm sure ole JD thinks his guitar is worth $3500.00. But to us here on the forum a knock off guitar is not worth all that much. I'd say its worth less than half of your asking price. There are name brand steels going for far less than your asking price.

Anthony Sims

Cleveland, TN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2007 4:03 pm    

Appreciate your response, do you actually know anything about JD & his steels? If so I would be interested in hearing more. All I can tell about it is it appears to have high quality parts/engineering, everything fits very good & operates very smooth. Of course I have enjoyed the nice flamed wood he used along with the inlay.

As far as it being a knock-off, can you explain further? (like I said I dont know a lot about steels so Im interested in all info I can get!)

thanks again

Anthony

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2007 4:18 pm    

Anthony, I will email you with some advice. I don't think its fair to you that I talk here about a guitar that you are trying to sell.

Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2007 5:34 am    

You might try taking some better pictures, including the undercarriage, the pickup assembly and the changer. Pics of the endplates are usually desirable as well. I've never heard of JD or his guitars, as I suspect is the case for most, if not all of the forum.

A one off guitar is pretty much an unknown entity. I would guess that most of the guitar is taken from parts off other guitars from the pics I see. The cabinet is very nice and kind of in the Sho Bud mold.