The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Study of Jimmy Day's Chicken Shack in C6th
Don Benoit

Okanagan Falls, BC
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2003 6:47 pm    

Have been studying the C6th neck and wondering if I can get some comments on the soloing part of this tune. This is a 12 bar blues tune and I can find the notes to play against the I7 chord at the 9th fret. For the IV7 and V7 chords is it correct to play the solo centered around the 14th and 16th frets OR should I be looking for the notes in another mode position(s?

------------------
http://www.steelguitar.ca

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Don Benoit

Okanagan Falls, BC
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2003 2:52 pm    

Anyone have the tab for this song?

------------------

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2003 4:16 pm    

Don, I have been toying with Chicken Shack lately and IMHO, the two most important scales to play over a blues that uses seventh chords on the I, IV and V chords would be a major pentatonic blues scale ( notes 1, 2, b3, 3, 5, 6, 1 ) and the minor pentatonic blues scale ( 1, b3, 4, b5, 5, b7, 1 ). Both of these scales can be found around the 9th fret in the key of A. Also the major blues scale can be found around the 2nd and 14th fret. Practice these scales ascending using two octaves. The b3 is the "blue note" in the major blues scale and the b5 is the "blue note" in the minor blues scale. I bounce back and forth between the two ( just trust your ear to find what sounds good ). You might try using the minor blues scale on the IV chord at first, but either scale works. Also try this lick:
( ascending,b3, 3, 5, 6, 1 ) it uses the minor 3d and the major 3d and might help you get an idea how to utilize both scales at once. Heres another one ( descending, 3, 1, 7, b7 ). As far as position goes, I have tried playing licks on the 14th and 16th frets, and made some work, but for me those positions seem clumsy. Also, an A dorian mode ( a G major scale starting on A ) would work .I hope this helps.

[This message was edited by Bob Watson on 05 December 2003 at 04:20 PM.]

[This message was edited by Bob Watson on 05 December 2003 at 04:21 PM.]

Don Benoit

Okanagan Falls, BC
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2003 5:24 pm    

Thanks Bob

I have been using the Dorian scale to play some of those licks. I'll work on your suggestions tonight.

------------------