The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Makeshift dobro capo?
Thomas de Bourbon

Los Angeles, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2024 4:16 pm    

Has anyone built a makeshift dobro capo? I need one for a session soon and would prefer not to buy one, and it doesn't seem to difficult to build one. Wanted to see if anyone has pics of something they've made that I could try to replicate. Thanks!

Paul Seager

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 15 May 2024 8:43 pm    

I've tried using a pencil with varying results. I just shoved it under the strings. It mutes the open strings a little.

Patrick Jackson, on this forum, wrote that he used the plastic handles of measuring cups for a while! I toyed with the idea of flattening a metal bolt but worried about scratching the fretboard.

I'll add that I have been trying to play without using a capo. I don't play that much so it's not a major issue for me yet!

Bayern Hawaiians: https://www.youtube.com/@diebayernhawaiians3062
Other stuff: https://www.youtube.com/@paulseager3796/videos

Mike A Holland

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 16 May 2024 12:59 am    

Here are the details of a simple Dobro Capo I made a few years back. Simple to make and it does work. I dont use a capo very much but I have this parked just above the nut on my guitar so I can grab it if I need it. Here is a link to a YouTube video I made about the capo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b56zmOQK-GY&t=26s

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2024 12:19 pm    

Depending on string height, you can use a screwdriver or an extension rod from a ratchet set.

Patrick Jackson

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2024 5:12 am    

Paul Seager wrote:
Patrick Jackson, on this forum, wrote that he used the plastic handles of measuring cups for a while!

Actually the metal handle from a cheap plastic measuring cup. The handle will break off pretty easily, but here's a picture with the cup still attached to the handle.

Mike's design is much nicer and I would try it out if I had the woodworking skills.

Michael Breid

Eureka Springs, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2024 4:07 pm     Makeshift capo for dobro

Look on YouTube under "Simple, but effective dobro capo". They're easy to make.
I used a piece of solid brass rod (3/16") instead of the suggested bone inlay the strings press on. I made mine from a piece of ebony and brass rod, but any hardwood, maple, walnut, cherry, would work. I put a small screw eye in the end of mine and attached a loop of fly line. I hang it over one of the keys to keep it handy. A groove at the top and some epoxy glue will hold the brass rod securely. It's a trial and error thing. Mine was too thick so it sharped the strings a bit. I sanded the bottom and with an X-acto hobby saw, and a small hobby file I fashioned a small groove to fit over the length of the fret. It now works fine. Good luck.