The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Magnatone Lyric tuners
Chase Brady

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2024 12:54 pm    

I recently acquired a Magnatone Lyric. Sweet guitar. The only issue with it are the tuners are pretty stiff. They work, but it takes some effort. It's nearly as old as I am. I wish all my parts worked as well. So two questions. Is there any way to free them up without replacing them? If not, can anyone recommend replacement tuners that will go in without modification?

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2024 1:18 pm    

I have restored several old Kluson tuners by soaking them in naphtha overnight to soften the old lubricant, and using a pipette to flush them a multitude of times for several minutes, until the solvent runs clear. Let them air dry for a few hours, and then inject either lithium grease or petroleum jelly into the small hole in the stamped cover. Finally, spin the button for several minutes with a string-winder. You will feel them begin to loosen as you turn them. It's time consuming, but usually quite effective.

Alternately, new Gotoh SD90s will likely drop right in. And they are superior to the original Kluson Deluxes, in my experience. But you'll likely require three sets for a D-8, which will be a tad spendy.

Good luck (and nice axe)!

Chase Brady

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2024 3:04 pm    

The only issue I see with the Gotoh tuners is the bushings. As you can see from the picture, the Klusons have no bushings. I don't see any easy way to ream out the insides of the holes to accommodate bushings. Will the Gotohs work without them?

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2024 4:46 pm    

Chase Brady wrote:
Will the Gotohs work without them?

I can not definitively answer that question, but since the shafts are very close same diameter -- if not identical, I don't see any reason why they would not.

I have two 1955 Royaltones. The one on the right still has its factory Klusons, albeit with new buttons. The one on the left was rescued from a stripped-out husk. I installed new Gotoh SD90s, and had to ream the topside of the headstock ever so slightly to accommodate the new bushings. If the original bushings were present, they would have slipped right into the existing holes, and the reaming would not have been necessary.

I have also installed new Gotoh SD90s into existing Kluson bushings without any problem.