The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Music man amps
Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 13 May 2024 8:13 am    

Has anyone played thru a music man amps was is the best model for steel. I am doing a gig have to play thu a music man
P.w let's here you people

Rick Kornacker

Dixon Springs, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2024 8:55 am     Musicman amps..for steel!

Hey Paul! Should not be a problem. They made a number of models that were similar to Fender and were popular for steelers before the Peavey onslaught in the early 80's. I know that Randy(Beavers) was fond of them. Probably you will be using a single 15 or twin 12. If it is in good shape it should give you that nice tube vibe that most of us like. Don't like it too much or you might have to have it,ha! Don't see many of them around anymore...probably a collector's item. You know what that means...big bucks, like old Fenders. I'd still like to have an older Princeton Reverb. Played an LDG Bud through one at the music store in Waukegan...sounded real gooood! Regards,RK😉

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 13 May 2024 9:41 am    

I have two; a '79 210-65 and an '81 212HD-150. Both are workable for steel, but there are others I like better. My 210 is hands down the best six-string amp I have ever owned in sixty-plus years of gigging. Sounds great, power for days, built like a tank, and has never broken down.
Always did say that Music Man amps are what Fender amps would have evolved into had Leo not sold out to CBS.
Here they are:

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2024 9:57 am    

Personally I could not bond with them... I could always tell the difference between the Fender tube preamp and the MM SS preamp.. They are similar to the 70's peavey amps with tube output and Ss front end, Good and loud, clean, but to my ears, they sounded like exactly what they were.. Hybrids..
That SS front end robbed some of the warmth, natural compression and "complexity"... Look, lots of guys loved them, some liked them better than fender amps.. However, to my ears they just were a bit too sterile, and lacked something that the Fender amps had...In a pinch, as one time deal, I would say you have nothing to worry about, it will be fine, -clean-powerful-plenty of headroom. However if you are a Fender amp guy, you'll hear the difference.. If you are a strictly SS guy typically, you may like it an awful lot... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 13 May 2024 11:30 am    

Please post about amps, pedals, pickups, and other electronics, in Electronics, not Pedal Steel. Moved.

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2024 1:01 pm    

A steeler I worked with back in the day thought the world of his. I went with him to a town 50 mi from here to demo one, he brought his guitar and his Twin. He AB'd three amps the guy had in stock, and went home with a blonde 115 One Hundred with the EV-15! Thats the only amp for him from then on!

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 14 May 2024 7:21 am    

Still have two Music Man amps that I use for PSG. A RD-100 with EV 12inch, and a 112 50w with a JBL. Both are very nice amps and can get a great sound.

Robert

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 16 May 2024 4:42 pm    

Some MM amps had a single 12ax7 preamp tube. Don't remember what models had the preamp tube,

David Gertschen

Phoenix, Arizona
Post  Posted 16 May 2024 7:14 pm    

I believe that all Music Man amps came with solid state preamp sections with tube power amp sections.

The ones that had the 12AX7A tube used them as the phase inverter, not as a preamp tube. As a tube phase inverter, they would likely have no effect on the sound of the amp.

Ken Morgan

Midland, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2024 5:12 am    

RD50s had an actual 12ax7 preamp tube, wired so one channel would cascade to the next.

Insanely good guitar amps, loud of course, available as head only, 1-10 or 1-12 combos.

Ken Morgan
Midland, TX

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 18 May 2024 4:06 am     Music Man amps

Thanks folks for all comments. Played thru a 2x12 HD surprise at the tone I got good bass and mids good amps for steel
Cheers

P.w

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 18 May 2024 7:15 am    

Bob Carlucci Wrote

Quote:
However, to my ears they just were a bit too sterile, and lacked something that the Fender amps had...

Hey Bob, you are so right....and what Fender Amps had, are called Preamp TUBES.....

George Redmon
Certified Registered Tube Snob
United Tube Snobs Of America! Laughing