The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Majestic G13th Tuning (Mr. Sandman)
Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 10 May 2024 2:00 pm    

In my second video, a rendition of Mr. Sandman, I wanted to feature a relatively unheralded tuning that is not one of my main tunings but is still one I always end up messing around with and generally find fascinating Mr. Green

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni9RW2KWSUg

G13th (often called G11th)
E
C
A
F
D
B

It was used by Andy Iona, David Kelii, among others, and there are some amazing recordings by Lovey Lui Conn.

I am only using the top 6 strings.
I have tried it expanding it to 8 but I think it works best as a six string tuning… Would be interested to hear other opinions.

It is fairly unusual, and is one of my favorites for jazzy sounds and is a straight forward retune from B11th, C6th and many other tunings!
The bottom 5 strings of G13th are actually the same intervallically as the top 5 strings of B11th tuning, with an additional G# added on top.
G# E C# A F# D#
E C A F D B

This relationship to B11th and the presence of a 4th in the tuning likely why it is often called 11th even though TECHNICALLY it is a 13th tuning.

The tuning really is like a “mystical” B11th. Like all tunings it has drawbacks. There are a lot of pretty chords, but it really is lacking a lot of basic inversions!

This is how I conceptualize the tuning:

The top 4 strings are a major 7th ( 1 3 5 7)
The middle 4 are a minor 7th (1 b3 5 b7)
The bottom 4 are a 9th ( 3 5 b7 9)
The bottom 4 and the 1st string are a 13th (3 5 b7 9 x 13)
the bottom 3 are a diminished ( 1 b3 b5)

Plus the top 3 strings are the same as with C6th so any familiarity there transfers right over!

The presence of a full, straight major 7th chord in a tuning is fairly rare, so they really get your attention when you hear them!

In my video, I ripped off the intro from Jules Ah See’s solo on “Manuela Boy” from the 1959 Hawaiian Calls record “Hawaiian Strings”.
Jules probably played a Fender pedal steel on that record and got some pretty lush chords.
I have seen old posts from people who assumed he was using non-pedal G13th on that track, and I do not blame them because it fits on the tuning pretty well.

It is a little over the top with open string licks that are tricky to play cleanly, but I think the video is a decent demonstration of the kind of sounds you can coax from the tuning. I will tab out the steel part when I get time!

Does anyone else play this tuning? I’d be very interested to know what songs and tunes you think suit the tuning well Very Happy

Last edited by Joe A. Roberts on 11 May 2024 6:11 am; edited 1 time in total

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2024 5:59 pm     Re: The Majestic G13th Tuning (Mr. Sandman)

Joe A. Roberts wrote:

G13th (often called G11th)
E
C
A
F
D
B

is a straight forward retune from B11th, C6th and many other tunings!

I appreciate your post, and will have to try that tuning soon.

It would be an easy retune from the old E7 tuning too.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 10 May 2024 9:31 pm    

Looks like it would make a cool 7 string tuning, adding the root (G) on string 7.
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 11 May 2024 6:11 am    

I appreciate it David. That old E7th tuning is another underrated tuning... It was one of first widely adopted electric tunings for a reason!
I think Mapuana might have originally been written for G13th tuning, or at least it falls right on it.

Allan, that low G seems like a common sense addition but for some reason when I tried it, it didn't gel with me. Might have to give it another go Very Happy

Here is the tab which should be mostly right.
You can see how I often play a G major 7th chord at the 2nd fret, and pulling of the first string to make it into a G6th chord.
Jules was probably doing this effect with a pedal, but Manuela Boy happened to be in G, so that major 7th to 6th sound can be had on this tuning with the open string!
Bringing Mr. Sandman down to G let me use that open E string in that song too.

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2024 6:36 am    

Joe A. Roberts wrote:

Here is the tab which should be mostly right.
You can see how I often play a G major 7th chord at the 2nd fret, and pulling of the first string to make it into a G6th chord.

Thanks for posting the chart! I'll have some fun looking at it.

Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 11 May 2024 7:07 am    

I just remembered I wrote out the whole of Manuela Boy -
Aside from obviously being interpretive, the transcription was for my own use and I haven't double checked it.
But I remember it being a pretty good approximation if anyone wants to check it out Cool

I tried to find the track on youtube, but only found this upload, mistitled Manuela BAY with fairly awful sound quality (the actual record sounds great)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsrL9hQq0hM

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 21 May 2024 5:01 am    

Thanks, Joe. I've never really investigated this tuning before but I will now. There are a lot of nice musical colors available and you still have the first three familiar strings from C6th on top.

Alex Cattaneo

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 21 May 2024 5:13 am    

What about putting a G at the bottom AND a G on top for an 8-string tuning? Then you get the traditional C6 on top and G7 on the bottom, like a variation on the A7/C6 tuning.

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 21 May 2024 11:16 am    

Allan Revich wrote:
Looks like it would make a cool 7 string tuning, adding the root (G) on string 7.

My thought as well......

Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 23 May 2024 10:41 am    

Alex Cattaneo wrote:
What about putting a G at the bottom AND a G on top for an 8-string tuning? Then you get the traditional C6 on top and G7 on the bottom, like a variation on the A7/C6 tuning.

Thanks everyone for the G string suggestions Smile
I just had a stunning (to me) epiphany…
If I take my E13th (Noel Boggs/Jules Ah See) neck and raise only the middle G# to A, I get:

E
C#
G# -> A
F#
D
B
G#
E

Which is intervallically equivalent, a minor third lower, to:

G
E
C
A
F
D
B
G

Mr. Green

So instead of retuning 3 or 4 strings (depending on the tuning) to get a 6 string G13th, I only have to change one for a huskier 8 string version in E!
Since that was my fourth choice for a tuning, it makes me feel better about losing by a neck Wink

I am going to put a “Pitch-Key” on that G# string get to raise to A and back with just a twist of the wrist.
If only someone would invent something that could change the the pitch of steel guitar strings while playing…
maybe it could even be foot operated, can you imagine? Laughing