The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Keyless tuner
Jim Myers

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2022 6:47 am    

Does anyone out there make an 8 string keyless tuner head?
I want to build a lap steel.
56 D8 Stringmaster.

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2022 7:28 am    

Watching this one!

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2022 6:01 pm    

Sure,,,I started off building 8 stringers,,,,now mostly 10s,,,a 12 or two. I make a Kline type keyless tuner. I've recently started designing a tuner similar to Anapeg and Sierra (I think). Lamar Colvin also built this type of tuner. The Kline type is the simplest. Up until a few years ago the tuner was an independent comnponent,,,then I started building a tuner that functioned in conjunction with the bridge.

I've sold my keyless lap steel all over the world. Paul Franklin used one for his lap steel demonstration video,,,also used it on a George Strait session. Do a search for info.

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2022 3:45 pm    

Sonny's keyless tuner works great--and it's very well made!

Dave

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2022 5:45 am    

VEGA almost made just that or something that could have been that (in the late 30's?) Smile

I've been hoping for a quality non-pedal steel without a key head with any number of strings (in my case 10 or 12) for a long time, for travel purposes.
Playing C6th, I CAN keep my self "busy" on a non-pedal guitar. I need it 24" scale but the shortest possible - sized so I can throw it into a suit case amidst my clothes, not too heavy, stable and still enjoyable/satisfying to play.
I tried to have my MSA SuperSlide S12 converted with a Sierra Session Keyless Tuner but MSA warned away from because how the neck and keyhead are put together.

Aslo, I say "without a key head" because an alternative could also be an "key head" UNDER the body (strings wrapped around either end and being tuned with regular keys under the body).

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.