The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My Saturday morning Project.
Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2022 11:41 am    

I spent my Saturday morning finishing a few Roller Blocks. I set up and cut Multiples for efficiency Sake.

Ready to Polish or Brush and install.

Greg Forsyth

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2022 12:25 pm    

Quality machine work Barry, thanks for posting your work. Multiples are the way to go.
Are you interested in machining some bridges for 8 string lap steels?

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2022 2:27 pm    

Hey Greg I probably can need to know total height, Width, roller gap width and string spacing.

Thanks Barry

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2022 4:57 pm     Nice milling machine.

Hi Barry,
Nice milling machine. Also nice looking roller nuts you made. Very Happy
I've got one of those mill/drill combinations in Saigon. It's okay, but nothing like a real mill. I miss the Z axis lever. The X & Y are just okay.

Now that I've set up a workshop here in Oregon I'm thinking of getting a small Milling Machine and Metal Lathe from Harbor Freight. I know they are not all that good, but I don't expect to be doing lot on them. Right now I'm using my drill press with a cross vice, but thats far from the same.
The best part is the price of about $800 each and not needing much room. A good thing since I've already filled up a two car garage.
Best wishes,
Andy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Nicholas Thomas

St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2022 5:06 pm    

I made two this morning as well for my project. Wasn't fortunate enough to have a mill at my disposal so I used my drill press, hacksaw and my file set.

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2022 6:19 pm    

Really nice for hand tools Nicholas work like that takes more talent determination and patience than I have any more.

Thanks Andy the mill I used on these is a Grizzly 6019 its one of the larger bench top mills and has good power.

I have the smaller Harber Freight mill too its not bad but the bigger mill is much easer.

Barry

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2022 10:30 am    

A couple simple bell cranks for 3/8 square cross shafts.

Easy change addition.

Thanks Barry

Greg Forsyth

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2022 10:35 am    

Barry,
Thanks for the reply. When I get the requested info together I'll get back to you.
Are you planning on building psg's with the parts your machining or are they replacement parts for existing psg's?
My Best, Greg

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2022 11:06 am    

I've been helping a friend of mine with some guitars he builds I am about to start a guitar myself and will make all my parts for it. I also thought I might help out some people here on the forum with the odd and end part that might be broken or with parts for projects. I don't want to compete with Michael at PSG parts online his stuff is really good I'm just trying to fill that little area for things not available at the normal suppliers and stuff for hobby builders with their projects or repairs.

Thanks Barry

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 11 Mar 2022 7:37 am    

Thanks Andy the mill I used on these is a Grizzly 6019 its one of the larger bench top mills and has good power.

I have the smaller Harber Freight mill too its not bad but the bigger mill is much easer.

Barry[/quote]

Hi Barry,
Can you tell from this link which is most like your model?
They don't seem to have one listed as 6019 any longer.
https://www.grizzly.com/search?q=milling+machine
Any idea about the price these days as everything has gone up a lot in just the last year or so?

I got a new Grizzly Hybrid cabinet shop table saw and I'm very happy with that.Most of my work is with building guitars so for me a milling machine and metal lathe will only be used now and then.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 11 Mar 2022 7:41 am    

Barry[/quote]

Hi Barry,
Can you tell from this link which is most like your model?
They don't seem to have one listed as 6019 any longer.
https://www.grizzly.com/search?q=milling+machine
Any idea about the price these days as everything has gone up a lot in just the last year or so?

I got a new Grizzly Hybrid cabinet shop table saw and I'm very happy with that.Most of my work is with building guitars so for me a milling machine and metal lathe will only be used now and then.

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2022 2:18 pm    

Your correct Grizzly no longer handles the G 6019 mill Shop Fox has the same mill as mine in a white color ShopFox M1111
The mills are exactly alike except for color the specks are the same. If you like Grizzly the G704 is there most popular mill and if you ever decide to go CNC it is easily converted The G758 is another good mill from what I read. I was going to get the G704 Myself but found a Killer deal on mine used in new shape.

Barry

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 12 Mar 2022 7:11 am     Found it, but....

Hi Barry,
Yes I found the Shop Fox mill at Home Depot website, but at $3,600 I just can't go that high for a machine I won't use very often.
Thanks for the information. It does look like a better machine.
Best wishes,
Andy

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2022 1:17 pm    

Hey Andy I sent you an email both the Grizzly and Shop Fox are made by another company go to www.travers.com and look for OTMT Super X3 Mill/Drill same machine red in color
$2299.49 don't know if that's in your price range but search Super X3 or X3 mill drill.

Good Luck
Barry

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2022 5:17 pm     Re: Nice milling machine.

Andy DePaule wrote:
Hi Barry,
Nice milling machine. Also nice looking roller nuts you made. Very Happy
I've got one of those mill/drill combinations in Saigon. It's okay, but nothing like a real mill. I miss the Z axis lever. The X & Y are just okay.

Now that I've set up a workshop here in Oregon I'm thinking of getting a small Milling Machine and Metal Lathe from Harbor Freight. I know they are not all that good, but I don't expect to be doing lot on them. Right now I'm using my drill press with a cross vice, but thats far from the same.
The best part is the price of about $800 each and not needing much room. A good thing since I've already filled up a two car garage.
Best wishes,
Andy

I have a Harbor Freight mini mill that I've had for years. I still use it, mostly as a great little drill press.

For milling, I still have a very small set up but it's adequate for my needs and budget. It's a Little Machine Shop Hi Torque mill with a CNC conversion. The Little Machine Shop version of this mill doesn't have the tilting head, and therefore stays square once you tram it. Big improvement over the Harbor Freight. It's still basically a Sieg machine, so there are a lot of options out there, but it's solid. Especially for the price. I've done changers and other steel guitar stuff like that (mostly CNC) on this rig.

Dave

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2022 5:27 pm    

Hey David CNC is by far the way to go I hope to get into a cnc rig in the future. the Grizzly I have is the Sieg Super X 3. I have never tilted the head on mine so it has held pretty true and works well.

Barry