INSTRUCTION STRINGS ACCESSORIES MUSIC LINKS
 Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com for Steel Guitars, Strings, Instruction, Music and Accessories 
Forum Index
where steel players meet online
The Steel Guitar Forum

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BL 710s, 910s and LXR-16s
Peter Leavenworth

Madbury, New Hampshire, USA
Post Posted 15 Jul 2018 7:02 am     Reply with quote

Can anyone who has tried these pickups share their impressions of relative merits? I have a 910 and a Lxr-16 to install and a 710 in a PRP Mullen D-10 on the E9 neck that I love. I realize the 910 is single-coil. The Mullen C6 neck has what looks and sounds like a stock Emmons single-coil. I’m thinking of experimenting with any of the three in one of my Emmons D-10 PPs on either neck. I remember someone here on a BL thread saying they liked the LXR-16 on the C6. Just looking to hear of others’ experiences before I start operating.
1996 Mullen PRP D-10, 1974 Emmons D-10, 1976 Emmons D-10, early 70s Emmons S-10, Carter S-10, Milkman Sideman head w/Telonics 15" speaker, Fender DeVille 410, Music Man HD130, Wechter/Scheerhorn and Beard Dobros, 1962 Supro lap steel, Gibson 1939 RB-11 banjo, Gibson 1978 RB-250 banjo
John Swain

Newberry,SC
Post Posted 15 Jul 2018 7:20 am     Reply with quote

The BL910 is actually a humbucker with stacked coils. I've never owned one but Hal Rugg had them on his Zum. The XR-16 similar to the 710 with a slightly thicker midrange.
George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post Posted 15 Jul 2018 12:01 pm     Lxr-16 Reply with quote

My U12 Carter came with an LXR-16 14 years ago. I used that pickup for 4 years before I started experimenting with 6 or 7 other pickups. Now I'm back to the XR-16. I like it the best, [for me, in the Carter]. I also like the George L's 12-1 very much.
Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post Posted 15 Jul 2018 1:21 pm     Reply with quote

Well I own two out of three...never tried a 710. I found the 910 to be very musical and sweet sounding while playing at home but onstage with the band it wasn't cutting through enough to be heard properly. The LXR-16 is also a very musical sounding pickup and it, for my money at least, does a much better job keeping up in a live band situation. These days I am using a Telonics 409 in my Mullen G2 and of the many pickups I've tried it is a clear winner.
Roger Crawford

McDonough, GA USA
Post Posted 15 Jul 2018 1:33 pm     Reply with quote

I had 910s on a Zum, and my experience was like Bill's in that it just wouldn't cut through. I've heard several guitars with XR16s and they all sounded great.
Peter Leavenworth

Madbury, New Hampshire, USA
Post Posted 15 Jul 2018 2:33 pm     BL 710s, 910s and LCR-16s Reply with quote

Thanks John for pointing that out, it’s all coming back to me now......it doesn’t help that the Bill Lawrence site has almost zero information about the pedal steel pickup details.
1996 Mullen PRP D-10, 1974 Emmons D-10, 1976 Emmons D-10, early 70s Emmons S-10, Carter S-10, Milkman Sideman head w/Telonics 15" speaker, Fender DeVille 410, Music Man HD130, Wechter/Scheerhorn and Beard Dobros, 1962 Supro lap steel, Gibson 1939 RB-11 banjo, Gibson 1978 RB-250 banjo
James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post Posted 16 Jul 2018 1:26 pm     Reply with quote

These are all humbuckers......
The 7 series pickups are the britest.....
The 9 series are darker sounding ( my least fav BL pickup )
The XR16 pickup as described earlier is pretty accurate w/more mids...This pickup has a smooth bottom and top end w/nice punch......I’m not a humbucker kind of guy,but I can live with these......Jim
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Oakdale, California
Post Posted 17 Jul 2018 7:23 am     Reply with quote

710's are my favorite pickups. I put them in both a SB Professional and a Super-Pro. I had them in my Carter D10 for years before I put a Telonics and an E66 in recently (last year). After having 710's for so long, the E66 and Telonics sound like crap to me. The 710's are going back in.

My main guitar now is a new Mullen SD12. I love the single coil in it, but play places that are noisy and turning the position of the guitar doesn't really do much. I just ordered an XLR-16 (12 string) for the Mullen. Hopefully it will be a good match. I'm going to wire it so I can switch between single coil and humbucker.
Some anti-virus programs, like Trend and Norton, try to block my site and say it's malicious. It is not. Our computer experts on the forum have helped me and found nothing to worry about. It is safe to put in the exceptions list. See this post in Computers: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=301399
Marco Schouten

Assendelft, The Netherlands
Post Posted 17 Jul 2018 9:00 am     Reply with quote

I dont have experience with the XR-16, but I do with the BL710 and the BL910.
With the BL710 in my JCH, the guitar sounded like an Emmons push pull with that metallic growl when playing the lower strings. Being more of a Sho-Bud guy I wanted to try a different pickup and found a BL910. Most people say that it is darker than a BL710 though I read one comment from someone who thought it is brighter than the BL710. My first impression after putting the BL910 on my JCH was: it isn't darker than the BL710. I discovered that the BL910 changes its tone depending on picking angle, force of picking etc much more than the BL710 does. It makes the metallic sound of the lower strings go away. The BL910 is a great pickup if you can consiously change the way you pick, you can make it bright and snappy, warm and sweet. It's very versatile.
Brett Cooper

Mississippi, USA
Post Posted 28 Aug 2018 4:46 pm     . . . about the BL910 being “darker.” Reply with quote

Id be curious to know from the guys who’ve tried the 910 and decided it wasn’t cutting through . . . were you using a pot volume pedal or an active pedal, like say a Hilton?
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania
Post Posted 28 Aug 2018 6:51 pm     Reply with quote

I have a 912 in my Zum universal 12-string, and have used 910s in my Zum D10 - right now the D10 has some single-coil Wallace True Tones wound to 17.5K Ohms. I like the 910/912. Yes, they have more midrange than a 710/712 and even a wee bit more than the 705. But I like the midrange quality of them, unless the amp is ridiculously midrangey. I use the word "warm". To my ears, nice in a Twin Reverb (which scoops the midrange quite a lot), but also in my Session 400 with a 12" Telonics speaker.

I sometimes use them just straight into my old Sho Bud pot pedals, and sometimes I have a Sarno Freeloader before the pedal. The Freeloader should handle any loading issues, and I never turn it above about 1 o'clock, which I think gives an input impedance of around 500-600 KOhms.

One thing about pickups (IMO) - performance varies with different guitars, effects chains, and amps, at least in my experience. I have to just try them and see if I can get what I want. And nobody has ever argued that my guitars (steel or 6-string) don't cut through, left to my own devices. Ha!

And yes - 710/712, 705, 910/912, and XR-16 are all humbuckers, not single-coil, as stated previously.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Oakdale, California
Post Posted 29 Aug 2018 11:16 am     Reply with quote

I bought a new BL XR-16. Would not fit in my 2017 Mullen Royal Precision SD12. Base plate too long and too wide. I started to file the base plate to be about even with the pickup, but stopped. I've decided to sell it as it has never been in a guitar.

Although I also had to file down the ends of a 710 (actually 2) to make them fit in my Carter.

I love the sound of the BL pickups, but this last bout with a pickup that doesn't fit has pretty much made up my mind that I won't choose BL pickups in the future.
Some anti-virus programs, like Trend and Norton, try to block my site and say it's malicious. It is not. Our computer experts on the forum have helped me and found nothing to worry about. It is safe to put in the exceptions list. See this post in Computers: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=301399
George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post Posted 29 Aug 2018 1:26 pm     Lawrence XR-16 Reply with quote

I bought a new XR-16 for my 12 string Carter a couple of months ago and it fits perfectly without any modification. I did mention to Becky Lawrence that it was for a Carter when I ordered it.
Austin Tripp

Nashville TN- Ft. Worth TX
Post Posted 30 Aug 2018 1:34 pm     Reply with quote

I play a 12 string G2 universal and I have the XR16 in it. It's an amazing pickup. Exceptional tone range across the fretboard. It has a fat low end and clear midrange and the highs are real sweet, not to shrill. I've also used 710s before in my Emmons. The low end is similar to the XR16 but the mid range and the high end is more bright in the 710 (in my opinion) I like the 710 for recording and the Xr16 live. However, you cant go wrong with either.