The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Modding S10 E9 to have a 6th tuning?
Adam Tracksler

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2018 8:13 am    

I have a wonderful S10, it’s got 4 pedals. I didn’t know if I could repurpose the 4th pedal to put me into a 6th tuning. I know I could just restring it to be a C6, but wondering if anyone has done a 4th pedal to do this.

Thanks. Ad

Last edited by Adam Tracksler on 6 Jul 2018 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2018 8:32 am    

You already have alot of 6th tuning options on an standard S10.
You can hold the AB pedals down and you are in A6th, and C6th is in the 3rd fret.
If you lower your E's to Eb, you have C6th on fret 1, starting on string 10, just skip string 9.
Release the E to Eb lever and play string 9 to go to the 4-chord (4-seventh) which simulates the 6th tuning Pedal-6.
It might be cool to put the 6th tuning Pedal-7 function on your extra pedal.

Larry Hamilton

Keller, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2018 10:14 am    

I lower my D to C# and 10th string,B, to A on a knee lever + B pedal C6th at third fret.

Paul Pearson

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2018 11:13 am    

Check out some of Randy Beavers recordings he can really c6 on e9 the best I have every heard

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2018 6:10 pm    

Yes Randy dose a cool version of Night life on E9th. I wonder what his copeadent on E9th looks like.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2018 8:40 pm     Modding S10 E9 to have a C6th tuning?

If You go back to a post by Jack Wilson Sigler Pedal, dated 10 March 2013 here on the forum. Concerning Mike Sigler's 4th pedal (Sigler Pedal C6 voicing) he has on his guitar he flies to gigs with. You may want to contact Mr. Sigler and discuss this project with him. Mr. Sigler may have already figured it out for you. Good Luck and Happy Steelin.;

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2018 8:52 pm    

I've gone the other way - modding a S-10 D6th tuning to get the E9th sounds. https://b0b.com/wp/?page_id=551#s10

Lee Warren

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2018 5:16 am    

Like Bobby said, you may want to consider putting Mike Sigler's C6th changes on pedal 4.
I find it an interesting option.
Lee

Paul Pearson

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2018 5:43 am    

Randy Beavers copeadent is pretty straight forward he does have a knee lever that's lowers 6 & 9 a half step do a search it is on the fourm

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2018 6:10 am    

As others have mentioned, a ton of 6th tuning positions are available by lowering the E strings and by engaging the A and B floor pedals. The idea to add the C6 7th pedal function is also excellent.

Even more really cool stuff is available if you engage pedal B with 1/2 pedal A! Split tuning pedal A helps a lot. Adding the E to Eb knee lever to this combo gives a full sounding diminished chord. Lowering string 9 a half tone gets you even closer to the pedal C6 tuning if your willing to learn some new grips.

All of these ideas are shown in chart form and through tab and sounds files here:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/C6th%20On%20E9th/C6th%20On%20E9th.html

Playing Night Life on the E9th tuning using the ideas presented above is shown here:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Night%20Life%20E9th/Night%20Life%20E9th.html

Here's a version of Sands played on the standard E9th tuning using only Pedals A, B, the E to Eb knee lever and a few bar slants:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Samples/Sand.mp3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Adam Tracksler

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2018 9:59 am    

b0b wrote:
I've gone the other way - modding a S-10 D6th tuning to get the E9th sounds. https://b0b.com/wp/?page_id=551#s10

What would you use if you had 5 levers and 4 pedals? Which pedal and knee would you leave out?

I know I’m way out into uncharted (for me) territory.....

I also just consider selling the S10 Fessy and getting a Sierra 8 string......

Henry Brooks

Los Gatos, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2018 10:39 am    

I can only say IMHO stay with 10 string E9th guitar. You can play anything that you can play on a 8 string plus lots more. It's really impossible for you, at this point, to know just what or how many changes you will need to play the music you want to play. You have to work that out over time. Jeff Newman always told the guys to "play what you got" and Lloyd Green said that when he added the E"s to F's change he had "all he needed to play music".
Henry

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2018 2:36 pm    

b0b wrote:

Adam Tracksler wrote:
What would you use if you had 5 levers and 4 pedals? Which pedal and knee would you leave out?

I know I’m way out into uncharted (for me) territory.....

I also just consider selling the S10 Fessy and getting a Sierra 8 string......

It's an interesting question. I'd probably do a S-10 4+5 hybrid D6th like this:
Tab:

LKL  LKV  LKR   P1   P2   P3   P4   RKL  RKR
E            +F
F#                      +G
D  +D#  ++E                      ++E   -C#
B                                ++C#      +C/C#
A                 ++B       -G#
F#          --E         +G
D  +D#                                (-C#)
B                                           +C
G       ++A                 +G#       
D                           ++E

Imagine for a minute that your E9th string 2 was tuned to C#, and your half stop lever raised it to D and D# (like Weldon Myrick). Then imagine moving that string to be string 4 instead of string 2, so that your top 6 strings are F# G# E C# B G#. Then lower it all a full step to be based in D instead of E. That's how the hybrid D6th works. P1, P2 and all of the knee levers are standard E9th changes on the top 7 strings, but the strings they work on are tuned one step lower.

This tuning doesn't have the 7th and 10th strings of the E9th. It has the middle and low end intervals of the C6th instead. It's a hybrid, not a universal.

With just 4 pedals, you'd be missing the C6th P6, but you can get that essential change with P2+LKR and a tuneable split on the 6th string (which is what E9th players usually do anyway). It feels better on a pedal, but if you only have 4 pedals you can still have that functionality.

With only 4 pedals, it's totally missing C6th P8. The low P8 "boo-wah" changes could be added to LKL (the E9th "F Lever") if you really need them, but they would be better on another pedal.

The high half of the C6th P4 is there on RKR (string 4). I also have the 8th string full step raise with a half stop on my RKR, but it's pretty tricky getting strings 4 & 8 to half-stop in sync on most guitars.

On standard C6th there's a high C to B lowering lever. The equivalent E9th lever lowers both E strings to D#. So, on the hybrid D6th I lower both D's on RKL. I back out the nylon tuner if I'm playing a "mostly swing and jazz" gig.

I hope this explanation makes sense. In the hybrid approach, you don't have to hold a knee lever to switch from "E9th mode" to "C6th mode". You are always in a D tuning. You go to the leftmost pedals for E9th licks and the rightmost pedals for C6th licks. The knee levers are shared between the two approaches.

Adam Tracksler

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2018 4:34 pm    

Bob, you’re using regular e9 strings, right?

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2018 4:50 pm    

No, they're sort of in between E9th and C6th. My gauges are on the chart at https://b0b.com/wp/?page_id=551#s10. If you want a set, PM me. I've been going back and forth between GHS Cryogenics (nickel wound) and D'Addario NYXL. Both are available by the gauge. Can't make up my mind.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2018 5:34 pm     Set up

Hi Adam ..here’s one more 6/5..Ext 10 string E9..lots and lots of chords.. Shocked Larry

Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 7:15 am     10 String Extended

Dear Larry - I have always been intrigued by your 10 string extended tuning. Today I took a little closer look at your post. How long did it take you to get used to that copedant and play satisfactorily when you first adopted it? Not having the 9th string D, and having to substitute with the 8th string knee lever lower is a pretty big difference for me, I like just hitting that 9th string without any effort, and its always there. Is this still your primary tuning? I can understand most of it but I don't get what the 5th and 6th pedals are doing.

Thanks,

S. Richard Alderson

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 10:08 am     Set up

Not trying to hijack your thread Adam...Richard, I played the standard E9 for a few years and was missing my ability to play all types of music away from the standard E9 approach so I made these changes..the RKL lowers the Es and getting the D is easy..the 5th pedal gives me an E7 with the low E on 10 and 8, the 6th pedal gives me a 6/9 with the Es lowered to Eb..(.C6 idea.) My A pedal lowers the 9th (B) down to A for a fuller 4 chord...my F lever lowers the 10th to C# so I get a nice fat D7 on the 1st fret or D with the A pedal added....yes this is my primary set up, Larry Very Happy

Adam Tracksler

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 11:49 am    

Hijack away Larry Very Happy