The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Breaking Third String
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2003 11:58 am    

Ha! Gotcha!
Entirely different question except that it's not, really.

I just added a pull to take care of something that's bugged me for a long time---dropping the 3rd string a whole step against the B pedal (resulting "G" note) so as to be able to play some Mooney 3-4-5-6 dom7 'rakes' with A & B down ("tonite the bottle", for instance without having to skip over to the 1st string (raised). I think Norm Hamlet wrote here that he does this.
Anyway---think that this extra action, even though it's a lowering thing, will lead to more bent string/spent string?

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2003 12:00 pm    

shure

Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2003 12:58 pm    

Jon,
I've got that change on my LKR2 knee on my Mullen, and I've never had any problems with the 3rd string.

Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2003 2:20 pm    

Quote:
Anyway---think that this extra action, even though it's a lowering thing, will lead to more bent string/spent string?

...Jon, I can't believe that you, of all people, are asking this question, but I guess even you can eventually run out of string...anyway, here's a new pack of 011's for you..

Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2003 2:29 pm    

Maybe if somebody could design a small revolutionary mechanism so that the angle of the bend in the string wasn't so severe...........................................................

Somebody..........

tap......tap...........tap

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2003 2:31 pm    

I'm having trouble setting the drag on the Zebco to accomodate this change.

Zebco String-o-matic

And for some reason the number 7 is floating before my brain......

[This message was edited by Jon Light on 04 July 2003 at 03:32 PM.]

Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2003 5:18 pm    

...LOL...it's a classic, like an old "Honeymooners" episode...seen it a dozen times and I still laugh..

..seven...hmmm...nah, that would never work..how about if you take a little piece of tin and bend it into the shape of a 5..

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2003 9:35 pm    

"You feel Lucky, punk?"

word.

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2003 6:10 am    

There is one way to deal with the plight of experiencing the unpredictable snapping of the G#, 3rd string. If you possess good eyesight, deliberately scrutinize where the ".011" string appears to stretch the most. After ascertaining that it appears to be over-stressed in the area from the pick-ups, back to the changer finger, spend some time contemplating the constant bending from the apex of the changer finger to the anchor point of the string. Just wnen you feel defeated, think "GOLO". The basic concept of the attachment involves relinquishing cosmetic vanity, and surrendering the belief that all pitch changes must be actuated at the changer end of the steel. The "Golo" can predictably allow any tonal change at the tuning-keys end of the steel, which in effect will redefine the trauma of "teasing" the string.

Bill H.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2003 6:41 am    

Whilst I am by no means averse to tangential cerebration, whether this connotes cognating in an manner exterial to a rectangular compartment or contemplating geometrical tangential relationships between objects both linear (string) and radial (changer), said excercise of visualizing the GOLO is little more meaningful or productive than the contemplation of the physical form of Stacy Dolgen as I exercise my right hand. Id est, there is little or nothing the mind can do to conjure that which it has never seen--although the last visual image of Stacy from the 3rd grade gives the creative mind some small fodder with which to build an idealized icon. Alas, GOLO conjures only vague images of grease-removing hand cleaner, presumably not germaine to the matters under consideration.

Danny Kuykendall

Fullerton, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2003 7:07 am    

Jon, This topic may be intended to be all in fun, however I noticed some advice Buddy Emmons gave to a forumite when he offered the "Ask Buddy" q & a. He doesn't pre-stretch or bend the string ahead of time to allow it to stay more in tune; he allows it to go out of tune as he plays and tunes between songs (I presume he tunes between songs). I tried this and have not broken the third string since.
Danny K

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2003 7:08 am    

swin golo sweet charriot...

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2003 8:14 am    

Danny---no, in fact the thread is (was) in dead earnest (with nothing personal toward any Earnests, living or dead). I consider 10-15 hours to be what I'm going to get out of a 3rd string--.012 in my case but that's about about the same as I recall when I used .011s. I've had strings that far exceeded that usage that I most regrettably cut off because I just wasn't gonna tempt fate going into a gig with a 'miracle' string.

So my question was about the added full step lower I just put on it and whether I should expect significantly worse gas mileage now. I've gotten 1 pro (thanks Lem), 1 con (thanks Johan----BTW, someone from the Netherlands was in the bar recently complaining about how there was no PSG back home. I said 'au contraire, I'm aware of several including one kickass player named Johan Jansen' and he said 'yeah, that sounds like a Dutchman'. Fascinating story, eh?)

and 1 email con (thanks Larry).

That BE method will require very conscious effort on my part since I have always put good tension and a few good yanks on strings while bringing them up to pitch. But for sure I'll try this.

DVA---I'd only top that if I could top that. But all I can say is Golo ry Golo ry Hallelujah!

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2003 10:47 pm    

Hi Jon,
yes , steelplayers aren't recogniced on the streets here
No kidding, I think every move, every bend a string makes, weares it out.stretching? yes, if you lower the string, it has to return back to G# too, again a stretch. I don't think that you get that much less hours out of a string, but it shure helps the process to the breaking-moment. A ticker string can have more hours,I use a .022 for my 6th G#, that lowers to G(pedal 4), raises to A and raises to B on my LKup.They never break, however it makes a travell for two whole tones (G-B).
That's why I rather use a 0.0115 instead of a 0.011, because of the beef. I still have nightmares from a 0.012 that snapped over my hands, brr., so a in between stringmeasure is OK with me.
I normally change my plain strings every 2 gigs and my whole set every 3 weeks. (Jagwire)Maybe you are a less aggressive player then I am, and you get a year out of a set!
Good luck and take care,
Johan

------------------
Click on the pic!

[This message was edited by Johan Jansen on 05 July 2003 at 11:51 PM.]

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2003 3:51 am    

Jon L.,

Defeatism is implanted into the minds of those who lack the iron will to persevere, and proceed to rout out the adversative entities.-Hankey