The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Classic Tobacco ShoBud Professional
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2003 4:38 pm    

This is the Classic Tobacco finish ShoBud Professional that was put out more often than other color schemes....and Belongs to Clive Swindell from Great Britain...and is all finished and plays and sounds perfect in the Classic Shobud way.

Clive is coming all the way from England tomorrow to pick his Shobud up and take a lesson....and boy is he in for a Texas Treat...yee haaa.

I'm starting on another single finger Marlen and should have some more nice "eye-candy" up here real soon.
Long live the Classics.....it just don't get much better than that.
Ricky

Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2003 4:47 pm    

YESS!

Gotta ask. Still have the "baskets" in it? Stock 1R/1L changer?

Got one that really wans to be rebuilt and have more than one knee lever.

I know DM does a real nice job, but I'm gonna have some time on my hands this winter and have access to machine shops, jobbers, etc..

They don't get much nicer.

EJL

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2003 4:54 pm    

Dang, hoss
You do good work!!!!
I'm sure Clive will go 'bonkers'.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2003 4:55 pm    

GOTTALUVUMSHOBUDZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Bill Ford

LARRY COLE

LANCASTER, OHIO, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2003 5:05 pm    

Great looking Sho-Bud Ricky. How do you post pics?

------------------
Playing For JESUS,LC. WILLIAMS U12, SHO-BUD PRO1,CARVIN TL60

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2003 6:02 pm    

Thanks guys; that means alot.
Yes Eric; single/single changer with racks and barrels....but the cool thing I did on this one...was took out half the racks of the two rows on racks that only use one row....simply because like on first three pedals of E9...there are no lowers....so you don't particularly need that part of the rack...and the more you can remove from un-wanted metal...the lighter these professionals become...
Eric....Duane and Jeff are my Hero's ....they also have any/all parts you need if you don't want to machine anything....they are who I work together with....and love them like Brothers.

Larry....you have to upload the pictures somewhere to space online....>Like I do in the House of Wood at www.Mightyfinemusic.com and then each picture you have online...has it's own address that you can copy from right clicking the pic...and click properties and there's the adddress to copy right there..and paste it between the two "img" brackets that are discribed in the help secton of this forum....Go get'um; and Have fun.
Ricky

[This message was edited by Ricky Davis on 26 June 2003 at 07:04 PM.]

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2003 12:03 am    

Ricky, comme d'habitude (as usual) great work on a sweet steel.
I am surprised Crowbear hasn't weighed in yet.
My, my, my, sho is purdy!!!!

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2003 12:30 am    

it's hard keepin' up w: Ya' David
YES ! that's another Beauty Ricky
my Bud's like that one without the rope inlay
(diamonds)

------------------
Steel what?

Bill Fulbright

Atlanta, GA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2003 1:08 am    

Don't it make your heart just a-quiver?

YEEOWWWSA!!

Tommy Minniear

Logansport, Indiana
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2003 6:13 am    

Yep! Got one just like it that I bought off Daniel Cormier. All original with a vertical 5th knee lever added by Duane Marrs. I followed Ricky's formula in polishing her up. Prettiest, best sounding and playing steel (to me)that I've ever owned. (and I've owned a bunch of 'em)! I will probably always "buy and try" other steels, but the Professional is my "Keeper"!

------------------
Tommy Minniear
www.ntsga.com

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2003 7:46 am    

Nice guitar but you are calling the color "Tobacco" , The Sho-Bud color of this name didn't come out 'til '84 for the "Super-Pro II" and was much lighter in color.
This guitar being shown looks like it may be what Sho-Bud called "Walnut", it's a little dark to tell in the picture.

The Sho-Bud "Tobacco" color will be shown on our web-site soon since we just recieved a Super Pro II for the Sho-Bud museium in this color.

Of course your picture illistrated here could be a refinish job and not showing up to well in the picture, but I think you have a Sho-Bud "walnut" stained birdseye maple guitar.

Aren't they great! Ya' gotta' lovum!
Sound good? You bet!

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 27 June 2003 at 10:33 AM.]

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2003 8:14 am    

WEll in my not well lit room where I work...It certainly looks tobacco colored(a little more brownish)...but after I snapped the shot and got some light on it...Gosh it certainly does look more rosewood(a little red-er)...
But thanks guys and it does make your heart quiver...ha.
Ricky

Peter

Post  Posted 27 Jun 2003 11:06 am    

It makes my Liver Quiver!
And I don't drink!
Ricky, you must be doing something right.

------------------
Peter den Hartogh-Fender Artist S10-Remington U12-Hilton Volume Pedal-Gibson BR4 lapsteel-Guya "Stringmaster" Copy-MusicMan112RP-Peavy Rage158- - My Animation College in South Africa

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2003 11:22 am    

The fellow that I was trying to help buy his first steel (you'll recall a couple emails from me on that, Ricky) ended up with a fine ProII. Looks like it's been played some (as it should) and the poor guy must be going crazy, having just got the guitar and not wanting to part with it, but seeing what his axe could look like if you got your hands on it. Hey Chris---enjoy it for a while, knowing that eventually you can send it out to the man here for some serious rejuvenation.

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2003 11:29 am    

Nice guitar alright!!!!
I always called those things brown, but the Sho~Bud catologues back then called them "Walnut Stained BirdsEye Maple". No matter what you call it, they still are pretty.

Mike

Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2003 1:50 pm    

Great, Ricky! The classic "regular" Professional, it sure is nice to see one in fine shape like after you restored it... Every old ShoBud is a work of art in itself and should be treated as such! (I never even lay the bar or anything else between the necks - streng verboten!)
Does this one sound as bright as mine or more on the mellower side?
I can imagine very well how Clive must feel...

My best,

Joe

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2003 10:21 pm    

Ok I REJECT the "Tobacco" Naming of this Color...ha...eventhough it looked tobacco-ish...but they are called Brown...ha..But this one in the actual real light...is Walnut colored...>well what ever color they called'um....they sure are classy lookin'.
Clive just left very happy with his new ShoBud...and we adjusted a few things to fit him better; and jammed a bit together and what a nice man and picker he is>>just makes it all worth while.
Yes Jon; when he wants it to look new again and play new again(probably better than new...ha)> send'r on down.
Joe....This one sounds just completely like the Classic Shobud sound from the '70s.....not bright and not warm....just right in the middle perfect.
But yours(that used to be mine) is one of the greatest sounding Professionals I've ever heard...Just has this waaaay cool warm woody sound..but with a distict brightness/clearity about it.....gosh what was I thinkin' when I sold that to ya...ha....did you talk me outta it>??
Thanks Mike on the correction....and TW gave me more info in an e-mail on the naming of colors from ShoBud....and I have GOT to log all this great info in somewhere....as all my Mentors have been sooo generous in helping me to Live the History of ShoBud> through their eyes and hearts from being there.
Ricky

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2003 3:40 am    

I think they called the Pro11's , Mahogany Birdseye. Which was almost the same just not as dark.

Mike

Tommy Minniear

Logansport, Indiana
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2003 6:08 am    

I owned a Pro I back in the mid-seventies that was a lot darker than the Professional that I own now. It struck me odd that the Professional that have now was being called Tobacco-colored, but I can verify that it is lighter than the Walnut stained Pro I that I had. I know that lacquer tends to yellow with age, but this would seem to cause an even darker look. My thoughts, and I have experimented with stains, is that there was probably some inconsistancies in the very begining. Personaly, I think thats a good thing, as it gives each steel it's own distinct look and personality. Some may recall the black stained Pro II's. In the catalog they appeared "black". When I went to pick mine up it had a see thru grayish look. I didn't care for it and opted for a red one. Other than for histories sake, it doesnt't matter. I believe Sho~Bud's cabinets were some of the most beautiful ever built!

Tommy Minniear

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2003 4:34 pm    

Has anybody EVER seen an ugly Sho-Bud? And Ricardo, my man, you make 'em look extry good!

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2003 7:11 pm    

Thanks Stephen that means alot pal....and Stephen and Tommy....I agree whole-heartedly about the ShoBud Steel Guitar.
To me; every builder out there that is staying with Staining either Birdseye or Hard Rock or Stripped Maple for their pedal steel guitar bodies; is staying with the great tradition of beauty that Bigsby and ShoBud and Marlen> set the trend of.
But there will never be anything more classically beautiful as the SHO~BUD.
Ricky

[This message was edited by Ricky Davis on 28 June 2003 at 08:12 PM.]

Post  Posted 30 Jun 2003 9:24 am    

I'd say Cordovan.

Or how about tobacco-soaked-wine?

Good stuff, Ricky. Keep up the good work.

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2003 12:14 pm    

Tobacco Soaked Wine> I wouldn't know whether tome play it, smoke it, chew it, or drink it.

Mike