The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mullen vs. Emmons
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2002 12:31 am    

What about tone? Mullen vs Emmons. Tone, timbre, voice, etc.

Brad Sarno

Ray Walker

Smithfield, NC, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 May 2002 3:15 am    

I believe that tones and different sounds are great things. Difference is the point I make. The artist will make it sound the way his or her heart tells them to. I have heard great musicians pick up 10 cent instruments and make em sound better than I thought was ever possible. Put two guys with two separate Emmons' side by side and listen to the difference. Same guitar just different hearts. I bought an MSA with 10 strings one neck and 12 on the other. Learning to play the thing and then listening to the greats I just knew that the sound(TONE) coming from mine was inferior. I also played with a buddy of mine Skip Mertz.. who plays an Emmons and envied the sound his (Guitar) made. Wrong wrong wrng.. Skip just plays a good steel and has a good heart in it when he plays. He can make the 10 cent guitar sing. I recently purchased a Mullen D-10. Boys does it sound good. Was going to sell the MSA to help lesson the burden of all that money in a steel. The MSA is a great guitar ...it just has a different tone and who knows...someday when I get really good I'll set em both up and switch off and have some fun. I love the sound of both now. I love the sound of an Emmons. Hell I love steel guitars. Well boys that's my unqualified 2 cents worth but if ya don't use it all...don't look for any change.
Ray Walker
Mullen D-10 10/7
MSA D-10 8/4

Ray Walker

Smithfield, NC, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 May 2002 3:19 am    

Oh...by the way. If ya think the MSA doesn't sound good Listen to some of Ty Herdon's older stuff. Jim Lindsey played the MSA I now own for Ty. That MSA is a hoss in the hands of a pro... Just that it ain't in the hands of a pro right now(hehe)