The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I'm going to miss you Mr Berg
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2012 12:37 pm    

I lost an old friend this week, too young to leave us but probably better off playing a harp than living the way he was.
I met him as a customer of mine and sold him the best guitar in the shop a beautiful GUILD F50 made in NJ, in maple with and arched back, abalone and mother of pearl and it just sung to him and me. ( It was later stolen by some girl but that's a whole other story)

I was a green as grass pedal steel newbie, having seen my first one in person when a customer brought his white MSA in to try out amps.

Berg wrote complete songs, with the harmonies in his head, about everything.. love, life, the future, the past.. and the band wrote the arrangements and we played with with all our hearts and souls. The band was really good, got lots of local work but disco and punk became the hot thing so after 5 years or so we all went our own ways..

Berg died the other morning and all his friends will of course miss him.

One of our old close friends who now is playing Surf music with the Rip Chords sent me this link to a tune from 1976 we recorded on an 8 track analog in a little home studio in Philly.. I still can't believe we did this in the dining room, where every time the refrigerator kicked on it ruined the track.. lol

I hope Mitch can find more of the tracks for this never distributed work from 1976.

http://soundcloud.com/homeroomprod-records/good-advice-by-windmill

Jake Ilika

Winona, MN
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2012 5:50 pm    

Sorry for your loss. I listened to the song, it was a lot of fun. Glad you have some sort of "record" of your efforts. I was lucky enough to have a friend with good recording gear when my first few bands were going strong and it's nice to go back and reminisce and listen to how you grow as a musician.

Positive vibes your way!

Jake