The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Blocking Aid
Tom Callahan

Dunlap, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2003 5:07 am    

After reading back thru the forum, I realized after reading some post by Leon Roberts, that arthritis is a big factor in playing for older folks (such as I)
My biggest problem is getting the back edge of my hand down to block without looking like I am trying to Karate the fretboard.
My wife and I are currently working on an idea to develope a pad like a abbreviated bowling brace that would have a small pad to aid in the blocking.
Has someone already come up with a device like this. If so I would love to know about it. Can't do much about my knees and ankles.
If I posted this in the wrong forum, I apologize.
Tom

[This message was edited by Tom Callahan on 21 August 2003 at 06:08 AM.]

Leon Roberts

Tallahassee,FL USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2003 4:59 am    

Tom, I wish you success in finding a solution to your problem. My arthritis is worse in my left hand that holds the bar. I’ve always been a palm blocker and this is no problem on medium tempo songs. Once in awhile my gun will jam on the “burners” but that has been a problem since I started. I keep two different size bars on top of my steel and switch from a 7/8 to a 15/16 when my hand starts hurting. This in no way solves the problem but elevates it to a large degree. I’ve never seen a device like you described but I wish you all the success in the world. Getting old sucks but the alternative is really depressing.
Leon

[This message was edited by Leon Roberts on 23 August 2003 at 06:01 AM.]

Tom Callahan

Dunlap, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2003 5:16 am    

Thank you Leon for the words. I recently discovered (with the purchase of a new seat) that a lot of my knee problems are coming from sitting too low.
My darling wife, (who can read music, plays the piano and currently learning mandolin & guitar) pointed this out to me.
So with the purchase of a new elite seat, I am up in the clouds.
Will let you know how I do on my theory.
Tom

ed packard

Show Low AZ
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2003 6:04 am    

I am kinda' surprised that a "damper" pad beneath the strings at the bridge and activated by a pedal/lever (ala piano) has not been applied to the PSG.

Tom, depending upon the type of music you are playing, lifting the tail of the bar a bit and blocking with the left hand's thumb on the low strings in front of the bar, and the middle finger extended just beyond the tip of the bar for the small strings (by sliding the bar back and forth = noodling) might save wear and tear on the picking hand. Rolling the left wrist to lift the bar while leaving the fingers down works well for those that do not like to lift the tail of the bar a bit.

There is a school of thought that left hand blocking is a bad thing, but...

I never understood why PSG players like to have the wrists bent down as opposed to bent up, or at least flat,like the lap steel/dobro/standup players (re your comment on seat height).

Edp

Tom Callahan

Dunlap, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2003 6:15 pm    

Thanks man;
I will try that in the morning. rite now got to get to bed. been a long day.

Tom Callahan

Dunlap, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2003 2:59 am    

After much thought and input from my wife, the pad del would not work because at time you might want to selectively block certain strings and a pad would block all.
Beside as she said, the problem is not in the instrument. the problem is in your hand and mind.So adapt and over come and go on.

Tom Callahan

Dunlap, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2003 6:35 am    

Mr. Bob;
Please close this out

thank you sir.

tom

Mike Ihde

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2003 10:31 pm    

When I first started playing Steel I took a toy blackboard eraser from my kids. It was a plastic rectangle with a foam pad on it for easing. I tied it to my hand with rubber bands and it worked great!!! A few months later I saw Jeff Newman at a clinic and figured out the right way to do it. But it sure did the trick at the time.

Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2003 7:32 am    

I do most of my blocking with my picks and my left hand thumb.

Bob