The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Got Rid Of The Love Letter Virus
Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2000 8:53 pm    

I opened my e mail last Thursday Oct 26, and I had received two e mails from Fun4you "Have a beautiful day". But with no attachments. I later opened my deleted file and checked. They wanted me to subscribe to something, didn't pay that much attention to it, just went on down and clicked on their e mail where it said I should unsubscribe if I didn't want to join. I did that on both of them......Next day I get two more....... I'm torqued down about 80 foot pounds over specifications for a 68 year old and didn’t really even look at them, just went for the unsubscribe but on the 2nd one I noticed the little thing in front of Fun4you but never thought much about it. I don't get the Love Letter Virus,
other people do, but I don't. But I did and I was lucky that it didn't wipe it all out. I
don’t know for sure but as I understand it, if I had opened the actual e mail it would have spread to everyone in our e mail address book and would have did a lot more damage to my software.
My Main Internet is Go.com Express Search. It will use 10 or more search engines to find what you’re looking for. If you want to try it, enter http://www.go.com and sign up. It’s free and works like you can’t believe!

My first indication that something was wrong was when my home page on Go.com showed 4.04 ERROR and chicken tracks all over the page. I don’t know what prompted me to do so but I clicked on favorites and I could access the Forum and the rest of them. I then opened my deleted file again and the last two, that came on Friday, had a funny looking thing in front of Fun4you. Best I can
describe it is it looked like a little stick man.

My computer came with McAfee V 4.01 and I was able to run the virus scan but it didn’t come up with anything. So I clicked on the upgrade button. It said if your computer is loaded with V 4.02 you can download Version 5.13, the latest update, for free. If not it cost $39.50. So for $22.50 I just down loaded an upgrade. It turned out it was V4.02. Later on I was then able to up grade to the V 5.13 for free. Well it cost $22.50 but thats better than $39.50. After I run V 4.02, it said I had been the victim of the Love Letter Virus and to click on a button and it would either clear it or delete that file. It deleted the file. So now very little works and I decided to start over.
I run my C0MPAQ "quick restore" CD which reloads Windows. Then I had to reload ME. It shuts down and starts up a lot faster and it hardly ever locks up, but that’s about all I can tell that I gained by installing Windows ME. Morel of the story, If It even looks strange, DON'T open It, DELETE It.

Bob Carlson

Uff Da!

[This message was edited by Bob Carlson on 02 November 2000 at 09:04 PM.]

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2000 9:25 am    

Quote:
chicken tracks all over the page....

Man, I HATE when that happens....

Mark Ardito

Chicago, IL, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2000 10:44 am    

Bob,

Man sorry to hear about the return of the "I love you" virus. I am a Network Administrator at my company and last week we had 3 viruses hit about 87 computers. Took me 3 DAYS to get rid of them all. One of them was a new strand of the I love you virus. And another was a virus call W95.MTX it prevents you from going to certain websites(like Mcafee.com and symantec.com) and it crashes your computer when you try and update the virus definition files!!! Man it is one bad virus. Watch out for that one!!!

Anyway, you should be able to go to WWW.Mcafee.com and download the new .dat files. Save this file to your hard drive and just double click on it. It is a .exe file and will execute when you double click on it and do all the work of updating your virus protection. If you need anymore help just email me and I can walk you through it. Thanks

Mark