The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I bet my monitor is bigger than yours
Terry Downs

Wylie, TX US
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2000 9:06 pm    

I got a call from my wife today. She said "I blew up the computer!" There is a strong smell of burnt electronics and the monitor is black! I was elated because I had a 15" monitor since 1993. I bought my college bound daughter a 17" monitor for $122 at Best Buy and wondered why I didn't replace mine with such a deal. I was holding out for a good deal on a 19" model.

Anyhow, I looked around a few places and a friend referred me to

http://resourceconcepts.com

I found a 21" ViewSonic monitor for $275. I figured it was a mistake. I visited their warehouse and they had one left. They had to check on the price in disbelief. The more senior guy said "that's what is in the computer". So I took it home and connected it. It turns out the power supply in the computer blew up ... not the monitor. When my wife said the monitor was black she meant the screen was not illuminated.. the plastic cover was not burned!!! I replaced the power supply and enjoyed my big 21" monitor.

I was wondering how many of you have 21" monitors......It is awesome.

------------------
Terry Downs
http://nightshift.net
terry@nightshift.net

[This message was edited by Terry Downs on 25 September 2000 at 10:09 PM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2000 3:16 am    

Bigger monitors are becoming the standard. The 17" is currently the most common entry level monitor. 19" are closing in fast on the 17", tho.

The problem with big monitors, along with finding one with decent resolution, is finding space for it. I have a 17" and it just barely fits in the allocated space in my computer desk.

Ingo Mamczak

Luimneach , Eire.
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2000 3:10 pm    

Another thing to watch out for is if you do write a bit of html , keep in mind that the smaller screens wont see stuff the way you see it
( I'm just jealous )

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2000 5:25 pm    

How many pixels can you get on a 21" monitor?

Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2000 7:43 pm    

I have a 19" Monitor and it does have a real nice BIG picture. But it also has a not so nice real BIG frame that fills up my Computer desk. But the big picture is worth it.
Bob Carlson

------------------
Uff Da

[This message was edited by Bob Carlson on 26 September 2000 at 08:44 PM.]

Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2000 12:20 pm    

I think you can get 1280x1024 on a 21" comfortably...I have a 17" and a 19" that are set on 1152x864, which is comfortable viewing for me. My advice on setting a screen resolution is do not set it below 800x600 unless you have a monitor less that 15", and most importantly, adjust it to be comfortable on your eyes. Depending on the person, you may need a bigger or smaller screen resolution.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Jonathan

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2000 2:19 pm    

We used to use 21" monitors on DEC VAX workstations at one of my previous jobs. We always ran them at 1600x1200 resolution. The text size was almost exactly what a printed page would look like, and you could put two full pages side by side for (almost) true WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get).