The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sid Hudson
Wally Davis

Belleville, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2010 2:38 pm    

Back when I did my tour of duty in Nashville in the mid 80's, there was a great guitarist by the name of Sid Hudson that toured with Barbara Mandrell. He was the hot player in town in those days that everyone went to listen to. He was also a great player in every style of music. I stumbled across this on YouTube. Apparently this was done fairly recently. Nice to hear his playing again after all these years. Wow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ct5RkJOEKA

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2010 3:50 pm    

Great stuff, AND he has a pedal steel in the corner of his living room. Very Happy

Michael Lee Allen

Portage Park / Irving Park, Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2010 4:59 pm    

Deleted.

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 23 Feb 2011 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2010 5:08 pm    

Saw him in a 4 piece band with Buddy Emmons on steel and Sammi Smith on vocals in 1983 during the Nashville disk jockey convention. I thought he was a knockout and remember Buddy saying some very complimentary things about him as well.

I guess that one LP is all he ever did??

He was mentioned on this forum 8 or 10 years ago and someone said he was skilled on steel as well.

Never heard any explanation as to why he left Nashville or how his career progressed after the mid 80s.

Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2010 9:35 pm    

When I saw and heard Sid, he was playing with Buddy Charleton at Hunters Lodge in Manassas VA in about 77-8 with The Justice Brothers and Roy Self on Bass and lead vocals.

I'll never forget it. He was fantastic, and rose to the occaison playing with the "big guys" in the "String Dusters" band.

I heard he played steel with a flatpick and his fingers, and was very good at it.

Smile

EJL

robert hays

sikeston mo. usa
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2010 10:30 am     Sid Hudson

I have not seen Sid in several years,But the last time I saw him was in my music room with a bunch of my friend having a blast jamming, At that time he was indeed playing steel as well as he plays tele, And he does play steel with a flat pick and bare fingers, At the time i'm referring to he was playing a Boson steel, I had never heard that brand before but I talked to his dad and he said he also has a boson, I also have a cassette tape(remember those?) of Sid doing all the instruments and it is very good it has 9 songs on it such as "sweet georgia brown" OBS etc. Sid is the real deal!!!!!!!

Bret Raper

Hoosier State
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2010 5:52 pm    

I first heard Sid Hudson playing with Big Jim Vest and the Nashville Cats in 1982 at the Hall of Fame Motor Inn, and he always knocked it out of the park. The NC's also had Tommy Williams on fiddle and Rod Hamm on bass. Can't recall who played drums, but it was a fantastic band.

I think at that time Sid was married to Donna Meade (who later married Jimmy Dean). Donna's band was at the Bull Pen Lounge at the Stockyards. This was also a great band with Terry Crisp on steel and Rob Hajacos on fiddle.

Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2010 5:55 am    

Quote:
Donna's band was at the Bull Pen Lounge at the Stockyards.

The name of the band was Lickety Split. Laughing
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville