The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What is a good drum machine for the steel?
Ben Wittke

Post  Posted 4 Aug 2000 3:46 pm    

I am looking to buy a drum machine to use at home for practice. Is there a good lower priced one that you recommend.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2000 4:23 pm    

I've been looking at the Zoom and the Alesis. I'm in the process of buying an Alesis SR-16 as it seems to be the best one for the money. The Zoom 234 was only about $20 more but it would have taken a lot more work to get some "songs" that could be used. The Alesis has some buit in useable programs and you can create additonal ones as needed. The only negative is there is no pre-programmed 3/4 (Waltz) pattern.

Both of these units had farily good user ratings/comments on the Harmony Center user evaluation pages.

There are also Boss DR model machines but they are about twice what an Alesis is and I didn't really look at them - that and the guy at Sam Ash kept steering me towards the Alesis.

DaveCarr

Leeds U.K.
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2000 4:35 pm    

You might be much better looking out for a second-hand drum machine (as long as the manual comes with it). Drum sounds go out of fashion (at least here in the UK), and you find that people are looking to sell their last machines.
(Ironically, the oldest drum machines tend to be the trendiest and are much sought-after).
Something like a Roland R8 is currently considered out of date here, but it has excellent natural drum sounds and features, and might be bought cheaper than a current model which has all the dance music sounds that you're probably not interested in.

Just a thought,
Dave.

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2000 5:06 pm    

Jack, what I would like is pre-set programs for the types of music I like. Setting individual programs for drums could get complex. Even better than drums alone, is a complete band. I have a lot of friends that have "Band In A Box" and they seem very happy. I don't know anything about "Band In A Box", but I would love to learn.

------------------

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2000 5:23 pm    

I have looked at 2 or 3 drum machines. Just to keep a good beat for me to play along my old pop and jazz tunes. You know what? I couldn't find any with those old swing and ballads beats.

Does anyone out there know of some that might have those "obsolete" beats.????

I also haven't heard any good backup rythm tracks for my songs with complicated chord patterns. Is there any out there???.....al

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2000 5:34 pm    

Al, try Billy Phelps/Full Circle Soundtracks. His E-mail is: FCSound@aol.com
Billy has mostly country and gospel soundtracks. I don't know where you could get POP and Jazz, unless the ones from Jamey Ambersold are still available. Billy's sound tracks are on either CD or tape, and they are really good. Hope this helps!

------------------

[This message was edited by Keith Hilton on 04 August 2000 at 06:39 PM.]

Rob Parker

Paducah, Kentucky, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2000 6:14 pm    

Try a Roland CR-1000 machine..Has some good basic patterns,and is user friendly...Look for a used machine,as I think they have been out of production for a few years...
RP....'come on in'...

Fred Murphy

Indianapolis, In. USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2000 6:39 pm    

I have the Alesis SR16. I like it better than any others I have tried. It doesn't have a lot of preprogrammed drum sets for country, but they are not too hard to set-up. It does have some good blues patterns, and light rock. You can also buy a download for your computer to program it up on your computer and download to the Alesis. If anyone is interested, I can probably get you the address. It's pretty handy to take with you, but the best thing to use at home is midi files downloaded, in cakewalk. You can customize them any way you want. I would think it is about time for Alesis to come out with a new model. I've had mine for a long time.

Don Townsend

Turner Valley, Alberta Canada
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2000 7:39 pm    

Ben;
I like the Alesis SR16---easy to program what you want for drums, easy to set the tempo on the fly, and very reasonable prices for a used one. I'd look for a good used one in the Bargain Finder, or through some of the music stores.
Don Townsend

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2000 7:58 pm    

I've got an Alesis SR-16 too and I really like it. As someone said before, it doesn't have a pre-programmed waltz beat but I'm trying to get one programmed in if I ever set down and read the manual. It's easy to operate and mine only cost $189.00 at Marr's Music in Virginia Beach.

------------------
Have a good 'un! JH U-12

Ben Wittke

Post  Posted 4 Aug 2000 8:26 pm    

Thanks alot guys for all your help. I have Band in a box, all the latest, but it does have no real 6/8 or 6/4 beats, and since I am retired now, I play mostly country gospel and in Church. That music so much of it is in those strange times. If you change them, they loose alot of their richness. I called Band in a Box and they admitted that they cater mainly to the jazz styles.
I will look into all your suggestions. Thanks.

Mike Vasquez

Austin, TX. USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2000 8:47 pm    

Ben- Have you considered a Karaoke player? There's a good variety of Karaoke cd's available- everything from old country to jazz and gospel. Each cd comes with a bunch of songs, not just one or two. They might be good to practice with. Your steel could provide the melody line instead of a singer. I'm considering trying one out myself.

Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2000 8:48 pm    

I also have an SR-16 but to me you have to be smarter than the average bear to program it. Or it could be that i'm dummer than the average bear. If you get a used one of any brand MAKE SURE YOU GET THE MANUAL!!!! You can program it to play any song you want and have a little differant beat when you go from verse to bridge and then back to verse. You can also buy(which I would highly suggest) or make an on-off switch and a switch that changes it to the other beat(each one has an A & B) while you're playing which is hard to do with one foot on the pedals and other on the volume.
If you have the patience to read the manual and learn to program it, you'll love it. But if you don't plan on doing that I wouldn't waste my momey on one. Like someone else said i've never used Band In A Box but have heard nothing but good about it. Good Luck.
Or as the old saying goes, "The More I Learn And The Harder I Work The Luckier I Get".
Bob Carlson

------------------
?

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2000 3:26 am    

I have an old Yamaha RX 11. It's totally programmable. You can program any possible combination of odd meters and rhythms. I doubt that this unit is still being made, but if you can find one, (with the manual) you might like it.

winston

Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2000 6:12 am    

Mike Perlowin, You have the right idea. Any of the Yamaha RX series drum machines would do. They are easily programed and can be picked up cheap. The sounds are dated but if you are using it to practice with then what does it matter? You are just using it as a metronome anyway.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2000 10:30 am    

There's an RX 15 on E Bay, currenty the bidding is up to $51. As I write this, (Saturday morning 11:30 AM Pacific time) there are 19 hours left on the auction.

Here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=396257324

The RX 15 is one step below the RX 11. It doesn't have seperate outs for each drum sound, but it is still totally programmable. You can put in odd meters, changes in meter, tempo changes, etc.

it is also midi controlable. All in all, a very handy unit, and at this price, how can you go wrong?

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2000 3:18 pm    

i use a Boss DR 660 " Dr Rythm "
it's loaded w: Goodies.
i don't use half of it's potential !
Presets + Programs
One can play 3/4 + 6/8. probably 5/8.
Like all these units, U better have the manual !
Good Luck, Ben ...
Steel holdin' on

Fred Murphy

Indianapolis, In. USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2000 8:42 pm    

A word of caution on those old Yamaha drums. I also have one and they have some simple patterns that will do, but, they have an internal battery that must be replaced about every 8 years. Mine hasn't went bad the last time I used it, but it is probably time. I never use it anymore. I was told at the time of purchase that a new battery was about $35.00. You either have to save the memory to tape and replace the battery or take it to a music store and have them change it for you. I suppose the batteries are still available, but I would think they are probably about all ready to go. I think I've probably had mine for over eight years now. It could possibly cost you and extra $50.00 for batteries.

Lowell Gilbertson

Sarasota, Florida
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2000 6:39 am    

I had a Dr Rhythm from Boss for a long time when I had a Tascam home studio. It was easy to figure out, had 100 or so preset patterns and sounded great. Since it was so good, I've been thinking about getting their version of Band in a Box (not sure what it's called) that does bass and piano along with drums.

------------------
Sho-Bud SuperPro
1976 Peavey Session 400

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2000 6:21 am    

I found a Boss DR-550 for 70 bucks in a pawn shop with a manual and it works great. While I was looking I saw and liked the Alesis SR-16, but the Boss was a good deal so I bought it. All I really wanted was a glorified metronome. If I wanted it for more serious recording I probably would have found an SR-16. When I was looking you could search ebay for SR-16 and get two pages of hits.

I haven't seen the SR-16 programming up close, but I really like the Roland's little "measure" display with the beats mapped out. Programming the visual thingie is more intuitive to me.

------------------
bterry.home.netcom.com

Ric Epperle

Sheridan, Wyoming USA . Like no other place on Earth... R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2000 12:11 pm    

I bought a Korg DDD-5 back in 1990. If you can find one of these used some place, get it. It comes with lots of cool preset patterns (including 3/4) and the samples are great. I don't believe they make this model anymore, but I found it to be very user friendly and it will get you up and running in no time. I still use this unit when I play a single.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2000 3:32 pm    

I got the Alesis SR16 today, that I had been dickering on. All I can say is it kicks butt. 20 minutes out of the box and I was playing along with the drum tracks. Several good Country programs, a good Latin (for Spanish Eyes, etc) and a "Polka" that can be used for several types other than Polkas. The only thing I'll have program in a Waltz, but it doesn't look like it will be much of a problem. Give me a week and I'd be ready to do some gigs with it,