The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Phaser on Pedal Steel - Audio
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 14 May 2024 12:24 pm    

I've been having some fun with an MXR phase 95 lately. It's taking me back to the 1970s!

Here are a couple of audio clips:

-----> https://www.instagram.com/reel/C69SWC8uNfY

-----> https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2aLKWnAP8Y

Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 14 May 2024 1:11 pm    

Cool,yes I'm getting the Sneaky Pete Buddy Cage vibe, psychedelic steel. 👍

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 14 May 2024 1:15 pm    

Yes, and lets not forget the much maligned Jerry Garcia. Very Happy

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 14 May 2024 2:00 pm    

cool sounds

love all those guys but I associate it with Buddy Emmons more than anyone... he even had the effect built into his Peavey amps for awhile Cool

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 14 May 2024 3:12 pm    

Yes, Buddy used phase quite a bit back in the late 70s, early 80s. And the Peavey Session 500 had an onboard Phaser that was very deep... sounded great.
Then there was Mooney with Waylon. There was a lot of phase shifting going on in that band!
It's funny how phase went out of style by the 1990s and nowadays seems to be making a comeback.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2024 3:44 pm    

Sounds great Doug! That first clip made me think Ralph Mooney plugged into Waylon's phaser.

Where did Jerry use phaser on steel?
"Candyman" is a wah into a leslie per the folks at the Good Ol Grateful Dead podcast when they break down the parts of the song from the master tracks @38:00 mins in.
https://youtu.be/9TCklcDXzSI?si=Vz4Xcqx3HsoKc8p5

The quintessential phaser pedal steel guitar imo is Jackson Browne's "Take It Easy" -> "Our Lady of the Well". Sneaky Pete nailed that one.

Greg Leisz does it well with Jackson these days.
"Take it Easy" -> "Our Lady of the Well"
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 14 May 2024 5:52 pm    

To my ear, the pedal steel in "Sugar Magnolia" has some kind of motion going on. I always assumed it was a slow phase, but I could be wrong.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2024 4:57 am    

Might be more Leslie usage on Sugar Mag. I've listened to so many Dead show tapes I sometimes forget Sugar Mag was a lot more country on the American Beauty recording. Or maybe Jerry had a univibe like Hendrix, Robin Trower, and Dave Gilmour used which emulates a Leslie via optical lightbulb circuitry.

To my knowledge phaser pedal effects didn't come on the market til 71 when Maestro released the PS-1. MXR released the Phase 90 in 72. Mutron released the BiPhase in 74.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5