The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ANY Speakers sound as good as the D-130's
Gary Steele

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2006 4:03 pm    

Several people has been using all these light weight and various speakers, How do they compare????????????????????????????????
Thanks, Gary.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2006 5:35 am    

Gary, IMHO, no.

Kkeep one thing in mind, the ol' D130 was a low power speaker, originally rated at 25 watts when it was developed over 50 years ago. While it's possible to do many things, you'll never be able to have a robust speaker (one that will handle 200 watts or more) that will sound like those original D130's. IMHO, each time they re-engineered the speaker to handle more power, the sound changed slightly. So, you reach a point where you have to decide what is most important, "vintage" sound quality, or the ability to handle gobs of power. While I used the D-130's for years, and found them to be ultra smooth, and have a very sweet mid-range, I found them lacking in bass and power handling capabilities (especially in open-back cabinets), and grew tired of reconing them every couple of years. Your playing style and how speakers are used usually determines their longevity, and these factors should also be taken into account when you select a speaker. The "best" sound can be a poor choice when it fails you on a live gig.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2006 6:01 am    

Donny really nails it. I'll add I find the D130 also has a bit of a harsh top end IMO...but it depends on WHAT D130, as the specs changed several times.

There are several "clean tone" speakers available nowdays that are far more efficient, have better power handling, a smoother top end, and better overall harmonic response.

In the 100-watt power handling range(per speaker) my favorite clean speaker is the Weber California; but Eminence makes some good, lighter, high-tech models with more power handling. Peavey also makes ones with more power handling, although I personally have had problems with them.

If you want to know how they compare, you can search old threads and read poster's comments; there are also extensive reviews on the web for most of these speakers, and WeberVST posts user reviews - good and bad - on their own website.

IMO opinion, for modern steel what most people are looking for when they say a D130 sound is a clean speaker with tons of headroom. I think most have probably not heard a vintage JBL in a steel application, but are hearing about it and assume it must have some "magic". IMO Altec. Gauss and EV made much better soundng speakers in the 100 watt range during the 60's/70's. But ALL those (and the JBL's) used huge magnets and mostly cast frames, and are extremely heavy.

I had a Gauss 15 rated at 100 watts that looked like something out of Star Wars and NEVER broke up - if you biased an amp for clean sound, that's what you'd get and wihtout the JBL top-end problem. Wish I'd kept it!

"Speaker Chasing: is an expensive pastime, so read the comments and reviews, decide exactly what you want *your* sound to be like, and choose carefully. And as I've recommended in the past, call Ted Weber at WeberVST - he will answer your questions, and if he doesn't have anything suitable will tell you so AND make suggestions for *competitor's* speakers - which I think is a great business ethic..

[This message was edited by Jim Sliff on 22 December 2006 at 06:01 AM.]

Scott Shipley

The Ozark Mountains
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2006 8:00 am    

I'm using an M series JBL that I had Woody Woodel put an aluminum dust cap in, and it kicks tail. Half the weight, and I got it used for $20!