The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons Push Pull Parts.?
Johnie Helms

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2014 7:53 pm    

Im looking for a 3 piece (right) moving lever assembly for push pull guitar. (black lever)..

Also, My question is, is there anyone still manufacturing parts for these classic guitars.?

Thanks

JH

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2014 4:19 am    

I collect push-pulls and some of the ones I find are in poor condition and need parts. Most commonly, though, a player wants to add a knee lever or change a setup which often requires, at the very least, additional bell cranks.

It has been my experience that finding push-pull parts is tough, although certainly not impossible. There are several sources:

- The Emmons company does sell a limited variety.
- There are some pretty well known repairman who specialize in Emmons work. Their names can be found on this Forum and they're all great people. They might have what you require although, understandably, they might be unable to sell parts because they need them for what they do. Some do sell, though.
- Springs, rods, collars, screws and raise-clip/wire are available from hardware supplies.
- Some parts, such as knee levers, stops, cross-shafts and brackets, can be made by a good machinist to look and function exactly as an original. I've seen great work and the most gawd-awful too. It's always amazing to listen to repairmen's horror stories of what they've run into on ruined steel guitars.
- Sometimes one runs across a push-pull that is so messed up it's fate is destined to be a parts guitar.
- As for push-pull bell-cranks, Bobbe Seymour's shop used to sell new replacements. I don't know if it still does. Also, a somewhat little know fact is that many, many push-pulls were built with additional, unused bell cranks already installed.

Last, or first, have the repairman I mentioned earlier do the work you require.

Best of luck.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2014 7:48 am    

I bought a knee lever kit for my push pull through Billy Knowles - http://www.steelguitareast.com/index.html but there are a number of dealers and repair centers, including Mike Cass, Bobbe Seymour and Lynn Stafford. All of these guys are excellent folks to deal with.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2014 9:56 am    

Ken Byng wrote:
there are a number of dealers and repair centers, .

There are a number of dealers, yes, but there is only a single factory authorized repair center.

Being a dealer does not make you a repair center, just as taking a tour of the factory does not make you an Emmons repairman.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2014 9:59 am    

Chris
Some of the names that I have mentioned may well take exception to your statement.

Ken
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2014 10:33 am    

From Lynn Stafford's website;
As an Authorized Dealer with the Emmons Guitar Company, I can provide sales of new Emmons guitars and parts, as well as factory-trained service and repair.

From Billy Knowles' website;
Billy Knowles, guitar tech, has over 40 years of experience on Emmons Push Pulls and ZB guitars...................Has been factory trained on Emmons Legrande guitars.

Chris Lucker

Post  Posted 29 Jan 2014 1:39 pm    

Like I said, there is one Factory Authorized Repair Center for Factory Authorized repairs.
Do you read their remarks as meaning that they are authorized by the Factory to do Factory repairs?

Let's have them answer the question with a simple yes or no.

Billy Knowles

Kenansville, N. C. 28349 usa
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2014 6:17 pm     factory

According to Ron Lashley, just talked to him, as my web site states, I am a Emmons Factory Authorized repair person for Legrandes.

STEEL GUITAR EAST

Emmons authorized dealer and approved service technician

my web site: http://www.steelguitareast.com

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2014 6:45 pm    

Chris, both Billy & Lynn are actiual Emmons factory authorized repairmen and have spent time with Ron Jr at the plant to get that designation

Chris Lucker

Post  Posted 29 Jan 2014 11:01 pm    

That is news to me.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2014 1:51 am    

Smile

Last edited by Lane Gray on 30 Jan 2014 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2014 2:04 am    

Why on earth would Ron Lashley Jr. spend his valuable time training and teaching these particular dealers in the art of repair if they can't carry out accredited repairs on behalf of Emmons??

Doesn't make any sense.

Chris Lucker

Post  Posted 30 Jan 2014 3:26 am    

I have not heard Ron Jr say he trained those individuals to be factory authorized repairmen. Have you?
There is no dispute that they are dealers.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2014 4:09 am    

Chris, as you are not an Emmons dealer why should Ron Jnr tell you what arrangements he has with his dealers? They are the ones who should know. Billy Knowles and Lynn Stafford are as straight as they come, and they would never make false claims about being service and repair centres for Emmons guitars. I think that their handiwork speaks volumes and they both have many satisfied customers in the shape of Emmons guitar owners who have benefitted from their trained skills.

Johnie asked a simple question about acquiring Emmons parts, and you have hijacked the thread with your incorrect assumption about Emmons repair centers. Please do not send me any further emails on this subject, as Billy has clarified the matter in his post above.

This is all a load of nonsense, and I for one would not question the integrity of Billy and Lynn.

Bobby Bowman

Cypress, Texas, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2014 11:25 am    

Chris,
Unfortunately I have to add to your "15 minutes of spot light".
I guess to you you have a problem with this discussion.
However, it doesn't appear to be one for anyone else.
Sometime a person suffers from the old foot in the mouth problem. If you're not there, you're not far from it concerning at least this matter.
My best advice for you right now is to adjust your attude to a better state of mind that is more compatable to the people around you,,,then go sit down to your guitar and see if you can become a better player,,,which in most of our cases, is what we all should be doing.
BB

Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2014 1:22 pm    

+1 on Lynn (west coast) or Billy (east coast)

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2014 1:32 pm    

I don't give a rat's ass if they are called "authorized repair stations" or not. Their work speaks for itself.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open E slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2014 2:11 pm    

I have 2 PPS and one Legrande.

Billy does all of my work.

At this very time I am having Billy turn one of my PPs into a show piece.

I couldn't give a flip whether he has a piece of paper hanging on a wall somewhere that states that he is certified in Emmons repair on BMW repair. To know his work is more than adequate for me and I’m pretty picky.

To make any statement that could be remotely interpreted as derogatory about a craftsman and a gentleman like Billy Knowles, I find offensive.

Sid Hudson

Chris Lucker

Post  Posted 30 Jan 2014 2:54 pm    

Bobby Bowman wrote:
Chris,
".
,then go sit down to your guitar and see if you can become a better player,,,which in most of our cases, is what we all should be doing.
BB

I wish I could do that. I truly do. After 2006 I can lift a Twin Reverb by the handle but it hurts to turn any of the knobs to the left. So, I became a Wraparound collector and a Bigsby collector.

Chris Lucker

Post  Posted 30 Jan 2014 2:57 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
I don't give a rat's ass if they are called "authorized repair stations" or not. Their work speaks for itself.

Richard, I am pleased to see you understand what I was saying. Thank you for supporting my point.

Billy Knowles

Kenansville, N. C. 28349 usa
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2014 3:31 pm     point

Quote:
do not know what your point is as I am a Emmons factory authorized approved repair person per Ron Lashley. You must have a problem.

STEEL GUITAR EAST

Emmons authorized dealer and approved service technician

my web site: http://www.steelguitareast.com

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2014 5:24 pm    

Chris, lighten the load here. You have made it clear, from your viewpoint that Mike Cass is the only authorized repair center. You admitted that you did not know about Bobby and Lynn training with Ron, now you do, accept it. Why do YOU have to hear it from Ron personally? Who are you, and who made you King for the day?

The knowledge you have about the history of the Emmons brand is second to none, why not spread the joy and info along those lines? You would be doing the steel community a big favor by sharing. Until then do us a favor and give it a rest, take an aspirin and call me in the morning.

Larry Behm

Phone: 971-219-8533

Chris Lucker

Post  Posted 30 Jan 2014 5:55 pm    

I have a request of the Forum members. If you are selling an Emmons guitar and the work is performed by Lynn Stafford or Billy Knowles, please make that clear in your ad.

That would be helpful.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2014 6:01 pm    

it appears to me that these fine repair people have become the go to people mainly due to the fact that the emmons co. doesn't seem to be able to handle much of a work load themselves.
so....accredited or not..it is what it is...

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2014 6:02 pm    

Chris Lucker wrote:
That is news to me.

I am quite sure a lot of things about a steel guitar would come as news to you.