The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I watched as Mike Cass worked on my push-pull
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2014 11:10 am    

A couple of weeks ago I was in Nashville and stopped by Mike Cass' shop. While there, he adjusted both a newly acquired Emmons student model and the front neck of a D10 push-pull I had with me.

I was fortunate to be able to stand next to him while he did so and, readers, I'm telling you it was an amazing thing to witness. He took one short look at the underside of each of the steels and knew exactly what needed to be done to each. Quick? His hands were in constant motion as he moved this bellcrank, replaced that spring, adjusting that stop, changed a bad rod, moved that collar, operated this pedal, tuned another endplate screw, etc.

Then he flipped the guitar over, tweaked the tuning just a bit more, stood up, pointed and said, "Here, you're the one who'll be using it." I sat down and, whoa, it was like playing another guitar. It worked as smooth as butter in spite of my playing.

Now, don't get me wrong. I know there are some great push-pull repairman out there. I, personally, have had Dave Peterson of Wheeling IL work on many of mine and his work is outstanding, too. I have no doubt there are others. But I wanted to mention my experience with Mike Cass. It was something else.

Last edited by Eric Philippsen on 31 Jan 2014 7:45 pm; edited 2 times in total

Bobby Bowman

Cypress, Texas, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2014 11:55 am     Mike Cass

Mike is a good man. He does good, honest work and when I grow up, I want to be just like him. Razz Winking
BB

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2014 4:03 pm    

Bobby, I don't think you ever gonna grow up, but you stay that way. That's what makes you the likeable ole coot you are.

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2014 4:46 pm    

I got to watch John Widgren work on my Emmons. Took the train up to Connecticut to watch and it was so worth it.

I can't say I fully understand how a pedal steel works, but I definitely gained a lot watching him work.

Also, my experience was similar to your I felt like I left his place with a new and improved guitar. I went up there thinking I might have to dump my guitar for something better, and when I left I felt like I had the best pedal steel for me.

My two points of advice to any beginner is 1) buy Winnie Winston's Pedal Steel book and 2) take your steel to a tech to get it properly setup.

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2014 6:50 am    

Mark wrote:

"My two points of advice to any beginner is 1) buy Winnie Winston's Pedal Steel book and 2) take your steel to a tech to get it properly setup."

I couldn't agree more! Winnie Winston's book was the first book I ever got when I started. There were NO teachers around at that time, or any that I could find.

As for setup and adjustment, I have a laugh at myself remembering my first experience with that subject. Way back those many decades ago I bought a D10 push-pull. I remember looking at the undercarriage, moving some pedals and knee levers, and saying to myself, "Why, look at how loose all these springs are!" So, I took out an allen wrench, loosened every rod collar, and snugged everything tight against the bellcranks. And then I just couldn't figure out why the action could be so hard after doing what was clearly a logical adjustment!

The problem was that there was no one around, that I knew, who could undo my handiwork! So, that push-pull sat unused for twenty (20!) years until I finally found a guy who changed it back.

Billy Knowles

Kenansville, N. C. 28349 usa
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2014 7:12 am     Mike

Mike does a wonderful job on guitars!!! Hope to buy him a plate of brisket at Jacks the next time I am in Nashville.

STEEL GUITAR EAST

Emmons authorized dealer and approved service technician

my web site: http://www.steelguitareast.com

Mike Cass

Post  Posted 31 Jan 2014 3:58 pm    

Thanks Eric, I enjoyed the day we spent in my shop, and thanx for dinner!

It always amazes me though that when someone posts their good dealings with a steel repair person, (especially it seems a push/pull mechanic)the thread always seems to get hijacked into a: "...well now, my guy so-and-so does every bit as good a job as your guy" type of deal, or in other words it turns into a popularity contest. Let me clear one thing up right here and now....with the passing of Bryan Adams I AM now the ONLY Emmons Dealer who is factory trained and authorized as a "builder/service technician" for both the push/pull and LeGrande instruments and I have been in such a capacity since 1987. I believe that Billy Knowles is also an Emmons dealer, and as he's posted elsewhere he is also factory trained and authorized to work on LeGrande instruments. Lynn Stafford is a dealer for Emmons, and as such he's authorized to sell guitars and parts. All of what I just typed is straight from the horses mouth, Ron Lashley, Jr., who I spoke with only 10 minutes ago concerning this matter. Anyone who has a problem with the truth needs to call the Emmons factory and speak to Ron Jr. or Rebecca about it. End of discussion.
Now then, lets look at what it means to be "Factory Trained and Authorized". It means that such a person as designated by The Emmons Guitar Co. By Lashley, Inc. can perform any of a number of procedures from simple setup to major-surgery type repair or restoration on the model(s) they've been hands-on trained to work on. Such persons work shall be performed to Emmons Factory specs and as such, any work done by such a person will NOT void the factory warranty of said instrument.
Now, to quote Ron Sr. when he first invited me to work for the former Emmons Guitar Co. Inc. in 1987: "...the work you've done on your own guitar is very good, but if you want to work for me you need to come to the factory and have me teach you how to build the push/pull and LeGrande guitars from scratch because if you cant build one to factory specs you cant correctly repair one"(makes sense), which I did, and I continue to go there for updates to this day as Ron Jr. has made a number of improvements on the all/pull model over the last 12 years or so. Have any of the other fellows hanging out the Emmons name on their shingle been personally trained and supervised by either Ron Sr. or Ron Jr. as I have? The only one who comes to mind is Mr. Knowles w/regard to the LeGrande model. A few fellows have had Bryan or myself restore their guitars in years past, paid the fee, then eyeballed how we did things and soon got the idea that, "heck, if they can do it so can I". Well, you may be good at copying my work and that of Bryan Adams but unless you understand why we do what we do youre spinning your wheels. The knowledge is what sets our work apart, and always will. You may get one to look real spiffy, but it will never sound or play as good as one done by Bryan or myself. As testament to that fact is the number of the other fellows guitars that have eventually ended up on my bench for anything from simple re-adjustment to the aforementioned major-surgery type repair, and there have been more than several.
I understand that playing jobs are fading fast and some fellows are approaching or have reached retirement age and would like to supplement their pension with some cash $$ guitar work on the side. Well, America is the land of opportunity and I cant fault you for that. Heck, if Clem Schmitz hadn't quit doing p/p repair here in Nashville Id probably still be trying to earn a living playing, or by now working @ WallyWorld as a greeter...whatever.
Im tired of the current politics of steel guitar repair where there used to be none. If you think Im making a killing doing this then you are sadly mistaken. I do it because I enjoy it, and because I have spent many, many hours under the tutelage of Ron Lashley Sr., first @ the factory and later by phone concerning this subject so I have considerable time and $$ invested in this undertaking, and personally, I spend the time and effort I do on these guitars because I feel that 100 years from now, with simple adjustment and maintenance, they will still be a viable instrument and as such will bear testament to the genius of their ultimate creator: Our Father Who Art In Hermitage.
In short, use who you like for repair, who cuts you a better deal, massages your ego or whatever, but if its factory you want, there are only 2 choices...
Now that's all I have to say on the subject and it is my sincere hope that Ive managed to put this dead horse to its final and well-deserved rest.

....this is not how I planned to spend any part of my 61st birthday.....
sincerely,
MC

mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2014 7:44 pm    

Well said Mike.... The horse should stay dead for a bit, but I'm sure that it will rise again, zombielike.

A BIG happy birthday to you. Very Happy

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2014 9:19 pm    

Mike did do a good job, as will Ron Jr, is anyone contacts him. It would be delightful if this was a dead horse. But unfortunately the same issue is in place. You have guys with a set of screwdrivers claiming to be authorized to fo factory repairs and I have had two pretend attorney's contact me from the 503 Area Code this evening.
Mike Cass and ron Jr pretty well straightened it out. They defined the issue for those who wish make a little effort to really know the truth. Those who just want to put on a little skirt and shake Pom poms for the guy who is the only one you know with a color TV, I am sorry you are disappointed. You should have sent your money to Jesus instead.
The Emmons brand is important. It should not get diluted by unqualified guys attaching their own names to it. Emmons has a bright future and done great news. But these losers need to go before it could happen, or before they put one of their screwdrivers to a new guitar.
It is always so precious to hear them:! " Is it lefty loose or righty tighty?" Bless their hearts I wish them a wonderful Valentines Day.
Not to hijack this thread, but really guys, do domething now for your sweetie so you aren't desperate to do something at the last minute.

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2014 10:01 pm    

Gosh darn it, you Oregon guys. I have gotten three calls from (503) area code purporting to be attorneys in the past 48 minutes alone. I meant 47 minutes but it is probably 48 minutes by now.
I won't be spending much time following these claims. Happily the Oregon AG has a comfortable understanding of what is right and whom should be reviewed further.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2014 12:57 am    

Hey, Mike, you any good with the Promat push-pulls? I'm serious, since they appear to be clones of Emmons guitars.
Not real sure on the "factory-trained" thing, either. I would say, that if Ron Lashley taught you, then you learned from a good'un. I play acoustic guitar, a lot. And I primarily play Martins. And believe me, I have seen and met several "Martin factory authorized" repair guys, that I would not allow to change my strings. And in 1978, I re-fretted a Martin D-35, using a clawhammer, an 8"flat mill bastard file, a big ol' Stanley screwdriver, and a quart of George Dickel(Black Label). When I was finished with the frets, I went for the bottle.
And hell, I almost became a Vox "certified service technician," because I changed out the preamp tubes in my Chinese-built AC-30.
OTOH, I had a good friend, who's no longer with us, about whom a legendary steel guitar builder said, "He can build a better push-pull guitar than any Emmons I've ever seen." And he'd seen a lot.
I've seen your work, Mike. Excellent, to say the least. I am a little curious, though, why you make such a point of being the ONLY Emmons dealer who's factory trained to work on Emmons guitars; stating, in effect, that unless you repair an Emmons guitar, the warranty is voided. Now, as far as calling the Emmons factory, there are page after page after page, where guys have tried, in vain, to get in touch with ANYBODY at the Emmons factory. And just as many claiming to have ordered guitars, and PAID for them, and after X number of months, were still out their money, and without an Emmons guitar, to boot. As a dealer for Emmons guitars, how many NEW LaGrandes do you have for sale? I am not trying to be disrespectful, here. I have seen too much of your work, to feel anything but admiration. I'm just a little curious as to why you feel the need to post this, since you are probably the best-known push-pull mechanic in the world. (Sorry for being long-winded).

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2014 1:47 am    

At least we all know who was pulling Lucker's strings before he started firing off unsolicited emails to people over this matter.

Re Clem Schmitz - Clem has provided a good service to many forumites and top Nashville players for many years before his wife hit bad health. Why was he cleaning up in Nashville? Because of the quality of his work and his innovative modifications to push pulls. He's a top man and a straight guy to deal with who doesn't blow his own trumpet.

Bottom line is that there is considerable choice in the USA of who to take your Emmons push pulls to get a good professional job done - unlike the UK I might add. Crying or Very sad
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Dickie Whitley

Post  Posted 1 Feb 2014 5:36 am    

In my opinion, this sounds more like a mutual admiration thread than anything informational or helpful to PSG players.

In my opinion, people who know their trade and have a reputation for doing great or exceeding great work, shouldn't have to toot their own horn. That kind of reputation travels quiet quickly by word of mouth and other means of communication.

In my opinion, this thread has turned into a ugly "bragging" contest and ought to be closed because I already see it's about to get a lot uglier.

That said, I'm done.

Billy Knowles

Kenansville, N. C. 28349 usa
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2014 5:52 am     Lucker

Lucker, I don't think I need your approval or permission to work one someone's guitar. Don't know that I see that as a plus anyway. I am a Emmons factory trained authorized dealer and repair person for Legrandes with 40 years experience on push pulls and other brands of guitars including ZB, by the way I worked on Tom Brumley's guitars. I restored an Emmons bolt on for Buddy Charleton. I do Sid Hudson's work on all his guitars. I have got more work than I can do and thanks the good Lord, I don't need the money.

STEEL GUITAR EAST

Emmons authorized dealer and approved service technician

my web site: http://www.steelguitareast.com

john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2014 6:59 am     Guitar Tech

Thanks Mark, it was a pleasure working with you. Always glad to help. Mike, I hope the most recent referral I sent you pans out, you are the guy. Billy thanks so much for all your recent (and Past) help with parts, could not have done it without you.

Regards, JW
widcj@hotmail.com

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2014 8:01 am    

Dickie Whitley wrote:

"In my opinion, this sounds more like a mutual admiration thread than anything informational or helpful to PSG players. "

Jeez, all I wanted to do was to tell of a good experience related to the repair of steel guitars. That's all. I had never never met Mike before in my life. I mean, really, what's wrong with saying something nice about someone and their work?

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2014 8:02 am    

Any early automobile manufacturer who had adopted the 'send your car back to detroit' service model would have been dead in the water. Independent service centers were the saviour to the auto industry until population density and electronic fuel injection facilitated customer 'capture' to an exclusive dealer network.

If there is to be one authorized push pull mechanic on the planet, let him do his work in nashville, where it matters most.

For the rest, its nobody's right to tell you who you should and shouldn't use for a mechanic. Those naughty unauthorized guys keep the technology and market for these guitars alive and flourishing. Its good for everyone's business.

I would have no interest in spending 400 bucks for UPS roundtrip and possible destruction of my guitar as the base cost for service work, so a local technician is the first requirement of any purchase I might consider. I know I'm not alone in that reasoning. Too bad if it doesn't meet someone else's standards.

The complete obsolence of push pulls will be marked by the requirement for a social membership into a bizarre cork sniffers club. Not the american way.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2014 8:29 am    

My personal take: Since it appears we have evidence that the other non-authorized cats know what they're doing (and I bet most of them can point to butchery that one of the others performed, but c'est la vie). Therefore, the only real apparent difference pertains to warranty work. And the only push-pulls still under warranty are the ones that Mike Cass has built, since the rest date from nearly 30 years ago.
So this looks like a distinction without a difference to me.

Ricky Hagan

Elm City N.C. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2014 9:04 am    

I would like to say first that I don't know Mr.Cass and I don't know Mr.Lucker but I do know Billy Knowles. I have been Playing Emmons Guitars for 35 plus years. No one has ever done any work on my guitars except Billy. When you leave Billy's shop you can go straight to your gig and play your guitar. Don't worry about something not being right. Billy is not only a great steel man he is also the greatest guy you will ever meet.I have known Billy a long time and consider him one of my best friends in the world. I'm sure Mr. Cass does as good of work as any one else does.I'm sure he is well qualified to do any repairs you may need and if you choose him that's great. But if you choose Billy you will get as fine of service as you could get anywhere. I wouldn't even think of any one else working on my stuff.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2014 9:24 am    

Eric Philippsen wrote:

Jeez, all I wanted to do was to tell of a good experience related to the repair of steel guitars. That's all. I had never never met Mike before in my life. I mean, really, what's wrong with saying something nice about someone and their work?

There's a long and sorry debate that lingers in these types of threads that attempts to socially stratify push pull players and their technicians.

Just politics, nothing important. Nobody really cares either way except maybe one person. So its less than what it appears.

Politics, being what it is, charges people up,
even if its completely irrelevant to their lives.

Last edited by Tom Gorr on 1 Feb 2014 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Dickie Whitley

Post  Posted 1 Feb 2014 10:01 am    

Eric, with all due respect, I have no issue with what you did or said.

It was what, in my opinion, it degenerated into with Mike and Chris comments. I could care less what "certifications" you have on your "shingle". If you can do the job, and do it right, that's all that matters to me. Period. I've known people all my life that didn't have a "degree" from a college but could run rings around those that did in the same job.

I don't have a college degree (although I have over 60 hours of college credits), and when I landed my first programming job, they didn't even send me to the school they sent all their programmers to because I had the experience to do the job without it. No certification needed, end of story.

I just don't appreciate people trying to run someone else's business down because of some "certification", and that's how it came across to me. Feel free to show me differently.

All the above in my opinion, YMMV.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2014 11:27 am    

i respect what mike and chris are getting at. there are two, mike and ron, jr., who are the factory/family people. that's all there is to it. there are lots of good mechanics around, otherwise.
it's kind of like the beatles tribute acts that are great. just because you play the part of paul doesn't make you paul, so don't start thinking you are.

luckily for me who is always broke, the push/pull was created with a beautiful intuitive design that i can adjust pretty well for my own use. it's not rocket science. it's a mechanical musical instrument.

chris doesn't deserve any threats for trying to clarify the facts. 'he's' not delusional.

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2014 11:34 am    

Guys,
I've seen things built from Meccano that are more complicated than an Emmons push-pull Shocked

It's not like overhauling an airliner, where safety is paramount, and full authorization is a necessary requirement, it's a simple mechanical contraption with strings on it.

Any competent machinist/mechanic/engineer would understand how it works in a heartbeat, and be able to set it up, no problem.

I would not want my PP set up back to original factory specs, as I have set it up how I want it, with myriad improvements over how it was from the factory.

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2014 3:11 pm    

Wonder who certified Buddy?

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2014 3:50 pm    

Sid Hudson wrote:
Wonder who certified Buddy?

Sid
I don't think Big E works on his own guitars. It would void the warranty.

Wink

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?