The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Speedy West SW-10S by Marlen
Ed StOnge

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2013 8:25 am    

Found this is in a local shop this week, and I'm wondering if anyone might have some information about these (all the Google searches come back to here anyhow, so I figure I'd better just ask the experts myself).

It's a Speedy West model SW-10S manufactured by Stadler Music in Reidsville, NC and has Marlen printed on the end of the fingerboard. It has 3 pedals in the Emmons configuration, and 2 knee levers for dropping (RKL) and raising (RKR) the E strings (when I first looked at it, the shop owner said he was told it was set up for C6, but luckily he was mistaken as I know precious little about E9 and nothing about C6). It's dirty and dusty and needs a little cleaning and a setup, but everything seems to work fine and I really like the tone. It came with a hardshell case that looks original to me, and it fits properly.

I'm a beginning pedal steel player, and my other two steels are a Carter Starter 3x4 (on loan from a friend) and a Dekley student model 3x3. I think with this one being a 3x2, I'm afraid I'm working my way back to one big string and no pedals lol.

Just looking for any info that anyone might be able to share about these steels. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2013 10:02 am    

To add the other levers would pose a challenge, as parts are hard to find. Pull-release has great tone, but the mechanism is simpler. And, since it runs on different principles, a lot of folks? like working on 'em.
Not sure who works on them. But if the D# and F levers both work along with the C pedal, you have all you need to understand it.

Henry Senior

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2013 11:06 am    

I've got a Marlen that is almost identical to this one apart from the Speedy West decals.

It sounds fantastic!

Mine's a 3x3 and I'd like to get a fourth lever put on but it's hard to find the people to do it. (particularly in the UK!)

Richard Burton on this forum is very knowledgeable about Marlens and their workings, might be worth asking him.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2013 12:15 pm    

I was in possession of one just like this (Marlen) for a long time, but never worked on it because it wasn't mine. It did have a fantastic, mid-60's Sho~Bud-esque sound. I think the guy paid about $1100 for it, and it had 4 knee levers.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2013 4:36 pm    

I agree with Herb, they are kinda "Sho~Buddy" as far as sound. It is a primitive changer, though, and multiple lowers are a pain. (Adding raises is a piece of cake, though.) Sometimes, these guitars go for much more than I feel they are worth due to the pretty cabinets. I'd value this guitar at $700-$900, but I've seen them bring almost twice that.

Marlens were a cheaper alternative for the player who wanted a nice-looking guitar, but couldn't afford another several hundred fpr one of the major brands. I like to think of them as sorta the "Harmony" or "Silvertone" of the pedal steel world. Mr. Green

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2013 1:48 pm    

I played a Speedy West D-10 for a couple of years. I loved the pedal action and the tone was great for good old country music.

Dave O'Brien

Florida and New Jersey
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2013 2:51 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:

Marlens were a cheaper alternative for the player who wanted a nice-looking guitar, but couldn't afford another several hundred fpr one of the major brands. I like to think of them as sorta the "Harmony" or "Silvertone" of the pedal steel world. Mr. Green

Not true at all of the later all pull model Marlens whose quality was second to none.

Duane Keiper

Niagara Falls, New York
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2013 5:36 pm     Speedy West S-10

I also have have one that I fixed up. It has 3 pedals and 3 knees. I am sending it out soon to have a forth knee lever put on and setup and then she'll be ready for me to play. See before and after pic's. It was alot of fun to work on.I love the placement of the pedals.

and then she'll be ready for me to play. See before and after pic's. It was alot of fun to work on.

Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2013 2:33 am    

A properly set-up Marlen pull-release will hold its own with any pedal steel for tone, and the tuning stability is exceptional. I'd say the pull-release tone is midway between an old Sho-Bud and a push-pull Emmons...bearing in mind that a lot of tone is in the hands of the player.

Adding the usual RKL and RKR changes isn't too difficult for a competent repairman provided he has the capability to make the necessary parts (bellcranks, pull-rods and stop-collars). A 3 X 4 Marlen would have a lifetime's worth of music in it.

FWIW I refurbished the undercarriage on a D10 Marlen pull-release and am more than pleased with it. Here's the top:-

and here's the underside:-

and an end-on view:-

The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.

Ed StOnge

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2013 9:21 am    

Thanks to all who replied both here and privately.

Forgive me for being somewhat ambiguous lol; I should have said I purchased this steel earlier this week (it found it's way into my house, I suppose lol). I picked it up at a reasonable price from what's posted, and while I liked the looks I just really liked the tone I was hearing. I know that the 3x2 config is a little limited compared to most pedal steels, but I believe someone who knows what they are doing could still get a lot of great music out of this one. I like to respect the original intent of the instrument, so I think I'll leave it as is and learn to work within those limitations (kind of like the limitations of an old Telecaster - any shortcomings are likely mine primarily). I like to think of some instruments as postcards from the past, and have a respect for the originality of an instrument (and yes, I like Danelectro's for what they are lol).

Part of the reason I wanted to learn pedal steel was to get back in touch with the music I heard growing up (old-school country), and have my Dad's old console tube stereo in the front room with this one ready to play. Now it's time to get to work lol...

Thanks again, Ed.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2013 9:30 am    

Ned McIntosh wrote:
A properly set-up Marlen pull-release will hold its own with any pedal steel for tone, and the tuning stability is exceptional. I'd say the pull-release tone is midway between an old Sho-Bud and a push-pull Emmons...bearing in mind that a lot of tone is in the hands of the player.

I disagree about the tone. I've never played another steel guitar that sounded like my Speedy West D-10. The pickup had this honky resonance and presence that made it unique. It threw me back in time whenever I played it. Didn't sound at all like an Emmons or a Sho-Bud to me.