The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Taking apart steel and cleaning it.
Michael Dan Ehmig

Clearwater, FL, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2002 7:01 pm    

I noticed the rods under my steel are all kind of brown and also the c6 neck doesn't seem to be connected to the pedals. Is there a book or a video that can teach me how to strip, clean and reassemble my Marlen double neck. Even if not to take it apart I need to learn how to set up the pedals etc. I'm in Clearwater Florida, Tampa Bay, and I only know one steel player here and he wants a lot to do the work. Being mostly house bound, (I take care of mom and bro), I could use a short term project. Because I can't get my first lesson for a couple of weeks still, so is it really hard or a fairly basic, take down, rebuild? Thanks for all the support and input guys. MDE

Gil Berry

Westminster, CA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2002 9:26 pm    

Disassembly/reassembly is not difficult if the guitar is properly set up in the first place and you are VERY CAREFUL to note exactly where each pull rod/lever etc. is attached...BUT it is very easy to SC&&W up and if you're not very familiar with steel guitar mechanics, the "lot of money" may prove to be very inexpensive.....Basically, if you're the type that isn't afraid to tear apart a clock or a transmission AND ACTUALLY GET IT BACK TOGETHER...have at it. Otherwise, better wait until you're a little more familiar with your guitar...that'll come...

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2002 10:49 pm    

Disassembling, cleaning, and reassembling a steel guitar, especially one that is not properly set up to begin with as you seem to imply, is many hours of tedious work that is in fact worth a lot of money to have performed.

You may find, once you get the thing apart, that it's worth paying someone experienced in the task to reassemble the thing. Frustration and aggravation are expensive too. It's a long drive from Tampa, but you might consider taking the thing to NC and having Mr. Leonard Stadler, who built the Marlen, do the job for you if he's still into doing that sort of stuff

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2002 6:28 am    

Michael,
It really depends on what your objective is. Are you ready to learn C6? Are you far enough along with E9 to take the time required to work on the other neck? If not, and if your E9 neck is working ok, I'd suggest not doing anything yet. There's a lot to learn on the C6 neck, even without pedals, if you get bored with the E9.

Pedal steel players have to balance their time working on top of their guitar (playing) vs working on the underneath (repair, adjustment, and maintenance). Some spend 99+% of their time playing and rely on a knowledgeable repair person to do the rest. Some constantly tinker with the undercarriage. You have to decide what the goal is. It's good to understand the mechanism, but it's also critical to spend time with your fingers on the strings.

I agree with Herb. If I felt it necessary to strip 'n' clean 'n' reassemble, I'd be checking with Leonard Stadtler to determine if he and whoever else is at Stadtler Music (Marlen) these days can spend a couple of days restoring your guitar. Otherwise, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Enjoy that guitar. My friend Frank Rogers has played one for years and it is a great sounding axe.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Emmons D-10 9x9, 1971 Dobro

Don LaCourse

Spring Hill, FL, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2002 9:16 am    

michael,
e mail me ,i can help,
don... ps .i live in spring hill.
i also know a good steel man in seminole.