The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Thoughts about the ISGA from a first timer...
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Thoughts about the ISGA from a first timer...
David Anderson

St. Louis, MO, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2009 7:21 am    

So this year was the first year I was able to attend the ISGA. I had a great time and had a chance to see some really cool steel and accessories as well as meet the people who build them. Seeing some of the players play as well as getting a chance to meet them face to face was amazing!

I could see how it would be overwhelming for a newer player. It seemed the show didn't cater so much to the new player, or players interested in alternate styles. It would be cool to see an alt country room or sacred steel room.

Except for the Carter display, it didn't seem very welcoming to try out new equipment. I think it would be cool to see more entry level steels that are ready to sit down and play. I think more displays from manufacturers catered to newbies would help grow the steel community. Teaching people about accessories, amps, steels, and learning tools would be so cool for the new guys wanting o learn more. And having alternate styles showcased would attract more players as well.

All in all, I really enjoyed the show. I would love to see it grow and be inviting to new faces. I can only imagine what it must have been like in the beginning when people were coming to the ISGA for the first time. The excitement and friendships that were built are what keep the show going. Attracting new faces will build new friendships and insure the longevity of the instrument, the manufacturers, and attendance for shows to come.

Dave

Tamara James

Post  Posted 9 Sep 2009 8:11 am    

This was my first time at the show also. We must have visited at different times. I was able to try out several guitars. Besides Carter, the Mullen Room was also very accommodating. The G2 plays very smooth. Justice was also great. I could have tried out more, but I didn't feel like I had the time. It was difficult to try out guitars in in mist of all the activity.

Your suggestion of a gospel room is a good one. I did find gospel throughout the convention. Sunday morning servies were very nice. I found many CDs and tracks, as Joe Wright and Huey Productions had several. Billy Phelps had so many gospel related CDs I found it difficult to choose. There were many others. Fran Newman had several courses that were gospel based. One booth was all Christian related, sorry, I didn't catch their name. It would be difficult for them to be on the main floor and in a special gospel room. I would think that would come down to what they sell the most of.

The convention was a bit overwhelming, as there was so much going on everywhere! I had to pick and choose what to attend. I plan on going next year. It was a very positive experience for me. Everyone was so nice. I met a lot of folks and I have new friends.

David Anderson

St. Louis, MO, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2009 10:09 am    

My experience was great as well, and I did see a lot of instruments there. I'm sure I could have asked to get hooked up and try some stuff out. The Justice steels were some of the most impressive that I had a chance to see and Fred Justice is a super guy!

It just seemed like many were on display, but not hooked up and ready to play.