The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Heart Over Mind - Jimmy Day - Pet Milk Opry
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2006 9:07 am    

Here is a new clip of the great Jimmy Day backing Ray Price on the Pet Milk Grand Old Opry.

Enjoy
Bill http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wjv6kyuK1I

Billy Wilson

El Cerrito, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2006 8:42 pm    

Looks like Jimmy didn't get the dress code memo. Great clip!

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2006 5:42 am    

Willie Nelson(bass) is out of uniform too...maybe he and Jimmy brought the club uniforms instead of the"feathers"...accidents can happen.

Mike Kowalik

San Antonio,Texas
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2006 8:46 am    

I guess Willie and Jimmy were out roarin' kinda late and didn't have time to change!! Razz

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2006 8:50 am    

Jimmy and Willie roaring?

Dave Burr

League City, TX
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2006 10:20 am    

Wow! Willie's actually in time... Wink

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2006 1:35 pm    

That was awesome! I didn't catch Willie till I read the post above. I wonder if that was live? I can hear a tick tack bass but maybe it was in the staff band. You can learn a lot about shuffle beat song construction just by watching the drummer play. Where is the 13 piece drum set with the double bass drums, percussionist, keyboards and 4 guitar players?

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2006 11:21 pm     Tic Tac

Greg, Pete Wade was doing the tic tac on his guitar. This was pretty standard in those days even though the studio cut was done with a 6 string bass.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 6:56 pm    

What kind of guitar is Ray playing? It looks like a Gibson headstock. The body is huge, but when they show it from the side, it is very thin.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 9:07 pm     Guitar (Ray Price)

Lee... That guitar was one designed by George Gobel. It is a thinline L-5 Gibson. Most folks don't know, but George was a super good guitar player. He loved the looks of the L-5, but did not like the thickness of the body. So, he designed one for himself. They are still available on special order ( at least they were about 5 years ago). All it takes is money Laughing

Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 10:29 pm    

I think the actual Gobel model Gibson had f-holes, Ray's guitar has an oval hole. But other than that, yes, it's similar to the Gobel model. I think it was Pete Wade who said that Ray's guitar looked great and was good for show but sounded like c..p.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 11:38 pm    

Great video. Smile

Yeah - the L-5CT "George Gobel Model" had f-holes. He used to play that one of his all the time, and he was a really good archtop rhythm player, sorta similar to Homer Haynes. George Gruhn has one of these in his photo gallery: http://www.gruhn.com/gallery/AR3046.jpg

They're very rare, and have the very distinctive cherry red finish. I had a chance to play one years ago, and it sounded great - it had crisp, clear archtop projection. It was way out of my price range at the time. But I shoulda bought it - I could take a year off work on the proceeds if I sold it now. Wink

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2007 12:32 am    

Wow, that's the Real McCoy! I agree with Greg about the drummer and the tick tack bass. What a sound! Just a clean, basic shuffle. Why can't bands get that sound today? Wink

It's funny that those pompadour Hairdos of the 50s/early 60s were so rejected and mocked by the late-60s/70s generation... and nowadays they look so cool again! The drummer really has the hair thing going.

I think it's odd that Willie Nelson seldom used a pedal steel in his band or on his recordings, especially after seeing him working with Jimmy Day in this clip. I do remember seeing a picture of Willie playing in the '70s when he was a big star, and Jimmy Day was playing steel with him.

Matthew Prouty

Warsaw, Poland
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2007 4:06 am    

I just sent that clip to our drummer for him to watch and learn. Its the hardest thing to teach a shuffle to people that never heard one before. I always told the band leader: "Take away the floor tom, the tom, the symbols, and the bass drum and let him work it out on the high hat and the snare!" Just like this guy is doing. Rock solid!

M.