The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Marshall Tucker Band (Toy Caldwell)
Greg Simmons

where the buffalo (used to) roam AND the Mojave
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2006 4:10 pm    

Fire on the Mountain... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aCW0Vp69A8&mode=related&search=

...armpit guitar, but I dont think you'll mind http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy6n5ovPRjs&mode=related&search

Marlin Smoot

Kansas
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2006 9:16 pm    

Marshall Tucker band was one of the few bands from the south during this time period who fused country, rock, blues and jazz into their music and getting played mostly on free-form FM rock and college radio with limited mainstream country radio success (sadly). They had a knack for having country lyrics and punched up arrangments .

Toy and his thumb playing was pure energy and emotion. They were on top of their game in these examples but the 2nd clip was the best, it was while Tommy (Toy's brother on bass) was still alive before his Jeep accident took his life. Doug's voice was primo.

That line up of players (i feel) was the best.
Thanks for sharing these, it took me back to when i went to their concerts and enjoyed their music live.

Mark Chesnut has released a new CD called "Heard It In A Love Song" (A MTB song) and I understand it may be his first single off the new CD(?)
Clint Black covered their "Bob Away My Blues"
Waylon covered "Can't You See"
Charlie Daniels played fiddle on some of their studio recordings.

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2006 5:20 pm    

The Marshall Tucker band got their start in Spartanburg, SC, and Toy played steel and wrote the songs until he died in 1993 and Toy's brother Tommy played bass guitar. Brett, Emmons S-10, Morrell lapsteel, GFI Ultra D-10-aka "Redgold Beauty"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2006 9:26 pm    

Oooh. Thanks for the memories. I remember our band learning that song when it first came out.

That is a beautiful Emmons guitar.

By the way, we still play "See You Later, I'm Gone" for our last song of the night.

Lee, from South Texas