The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  What Is That Thing
Herbie Meeks

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2006 8:58 am    

A few years back, while playing The Steel at gigs. I was surprised when people from the audience started caming to me, asking, What is that thing, I found it hard to describe, some would ask, is it easy learning to play, Could I maybe learn to play it, e.t.c

My thoughts were confusing, as I knew they had been hearing the Steel, if they listened to a Radio,
Somehow we got pushed into the unknown as far as Radio, and Recording , was concerned.

Herbie

------------------

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2006 10:45 am    

Most listeners, I have found, hear the instrument's sound, but don't give a thought to what is making "that" sound.

Herbie Meeks

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2006 7:29 am    

Could it be,? The DJ's quit announcing the musician's, names, credits, and the instruments being played ? Also the automated Radio Programs,Local Stations subscribe to,!! like seven in a row, with cues for the local stations to insert local advertising, !! Just a Guess,,,I DON'T KNOW
Also, the new generation of DJ's, And Program Directors, may/do, influence what is, and is not included

Herbie

------------------

Phillip Lee Thompson

Canby, Oregon
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2006 3:42 pm    

Hey Herbie,
You are not alone in this area of " NAME THAT INSTURMENT ". Over the last 50 years (at least) I have had untold numbers of people come to me at a gig and say " WOW,so thats what makes those beautiful sounds ".
(please believe me,I am NOT bragging on my playing,but the Steel carried the day again for me.
A good friend of mine,and an excellent Steel player of many years,Warren Davis of Prescott Arizona,was ask one day by a friend -- Warren,how long would it take me to learn how to play the Pedal Steel -- to which Warren asked the man " how old are you ?? " The reply was " I'm 45 " ,-- to which Warren replied you don't have enough years left to learn !!!!!
Take care,and you will be asked many more times about your Pedal Steel. Phillip.

[This message was edited by Phillip Lee Thompson on 30 October 2006 at 03:55 PM.]

Herbie Meeks

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2006 9:55 am    

Phil, we still feature Kids on our weekly live un-rehearsed Radio Show, I loaded some Clipped songs from our archived shows, of Kids. We still seem to have many Kids that go for the old Country,and Rock songs,Which are new songs to these Kids. Yes I am playing Steel, and Fiddle,the old fashioned way, with the band backing up these kids, ( Free streaming, and downloads to any and all) who like The Old Family Style Radio Shows.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageartist.cfm?bandID=220955

I think you will enjoy these Kids,

Herbie

------------------

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2006 10:21 am    

....and the next most asked question that I hear when they see the wrinkles in my face is: "How long have you been playing that thing?"

My answer is always, "all of my life", which leaves them to quess how long that has been.

------------------
www.genejones.com

Herbie Meeks

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2006 12:22 pm    

The first clue that I was slipping, was when I had to put wheels on my amp, and ask someone to carry my Steel, and lift both Amp and Steel up on stage.

Herbie

------------------