Author Topic:  Live reunited NRPS webcast featuring Cage
JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2005 5:44 am    

webmaster@nrps.net

Greetings from NRPS Unite,

We're pleased to let you know that the New Riders' performance from Mexicali
Blues in Teaneck, New Jersey this Friday night, December 16, will be
streamed live over the internet for your listening pleasure.

To tune in to the webcast, go to http://www.digitalsoundboard.net on Friday
night, Dec. 16 at 9PM EST and click on the Tune In link on the left hand
side. The webcast will begin when the band takes the stage, so it may wind
up being more like 9:15 or 9:30PM.

Enjoy and thanks to those who've made it out to see the band recently.

webmaster@nrps.net

These shows have been great. Check it out!

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
Fessenden D-10 8&8
"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel
www.buddycage.net

http://www.nrpsmusic.com/index.html

Steve Hitsman

Waterloo, IL
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2005 7:01 am    

Cool.

Jim Meiring

Highlands, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2005 5:07 am    

Did anyone hear the broadcast fri. nite from New Jersey? I regret missing it.

Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2005 11:36 am    

Here's what they played that night.

First set: Lonesome LA Cowboy / I Don't Know You / Contract / Sunday Susie / Garden Of Eden / Rainbow / Panama Red / Whiskey / Groupie / Running Back To You / Truck Drivin' Man

Second set: Henry / Last Lonely Eagle / Dirty Business / Louisiana Lady / Whatcha Gonna Do / Fifteen Days Under The Hood / Sutter's Mill / Take A Letter Maria / Death And Destruction / Lochinvar / Willie And The Hand Jive

Encores: Everybody Must Get Stoned / Ripple

I got up at 3 a. m. (remember this is the other side of the ocean) and didn't regret it one second. I also caught the support act, the Zen Tricksters, who were excellent. When the New Riders took the stage, they jammed for several minutes on an E chord for tuning up in true GD fashion and then launched into a familiar beat which developed into Lonesome LA Cowboy. At first I didn't recognize the voice since David Nelson had a bad cold which forced him to sing lower than usual. (It didn't stop him from singing Panama Red backwards after he was through with the "proper" version... can you imagine?)
Cage was a bit laid back in the beginning but began to warm up before too long. Each tune that followed was like a pleasant surprise. They sounded - in a word - 100 per cent authentic, exactly as the New Riders are supposed to sound like. Nelson pretty much played the same way he used to play back then, it sounds simple sometimes but is actually pretty sophisticated, like one of them said after Louisiana Lady: "I know only one person in the world who can play that rhythm"... The "new guys" - Michael Falzarano, Ronnie Penque and Johnny Markowski - did a great job, I think they couldn't have found anyone better. Ronnie's singing sounds remarkably like John Dawson and Johnny can cover Dave Torbert vocals quite well. And, of course, Cage. Now he really has taken his playing to the next level, it´s simply outstanding. He's coming up with a lot of new ideas yet always retains that unmistakable sound of his. He's also one of the few steelers I know who really make creative use of effects. I always love it when he plays outside the typical country patterns.
There frequently was a lot of praise for John Dawson's songwriting. Many songs he wrote are timeless, just as valid now as they were 30 years ago. Just listen to Garden Of Eden which fits right into our time now! All the different categories were well represented, the "good old barroom" tunes like Running Back To You, the songs of sheer beauty like Rainbow, the nostalgic stuff like songs about gold diggers, head hunters etc., but what impresses me most is what they call the "negative" stuff, like Death And Destruction... right down the abyss... spooky.
I sure would have loved to be there in person but this was at least something. The guys at Digital Soundboard also did a great job, the sound quality was excellent with practically no interruptions, maybe a second here and there which didn't matter. I hope this or another current show will be released on CD some day.

Ride On,

JH

[This message was edited by Joe Henry on 22 December 2005 at 11:39 AM.]

Jim Meiring

Highlands, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2005 5:48 am    

thanks for the report. Hope they tour the east again soon.

Tony Susen

Milton, MA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2005 7:48 am    

Here are some additional NRPS tour dates in January and then some:

18 – Cat's Cradle – Carrboro, NC
19 – The Pour House – Charleston, SC
20 – The Melting Point – Athens, GA
21 – The Neighborhood Theater – Charlotte, NC

June 10 – Milford Music Fest. – Milford, PA
July 28 – Balloon Fest. – Solberg Airport – Readington, NJ

Aug 5 – Jerry Fest. – PA

I imagine these will be posted soon on one of the websites listed by Mr. Arnold above. It looks like they are poised to book some more shows over the summer. Sure hope so. I saw them in October in Danielson, CT and they were terrific, Cage especially.