The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Country songs for dobro course
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2004 3:58 am    

I started out in 1962 on dobro, and really my first professional gig was as a dobroist for Linda Ronstadt in 1968, who then pushed me in playing steel guitar. I never quit playing reso, but I never deeply got into the later Auldridge style which spawned Jerry Douglas, Rob Ickes, et al. My playing style is rooted in Josh Graves, Shot Jackson, and Pete Kirby.

It dawned on me through teaching that steel players frequently are asked to play reso guitar occasionally, but don't really get familiar with the G tuning. So I assembled a course based on the series of lessons I've given to students the last couple of years.

The material is a 30-page book and a CD. The book has tabbed arrangements of 13 popular country songs of the past, and essays on scales, slant bar playing, and harmonized scales. I discuss the role of dominant, diminished/augmented, and minor chords and where to find them. I list the major slant bar positions and all harmonized scales I play with them.

The CD has me playing the scales, then playing the tunes with a BIAB rhythm track that is suitable for practice. The tunes are: Wildwood Flower, Great Speckled Bird, Wabash Cannonball, What A Friend We Have In Jesus, Blue Moon of KY, You Win Again, Cold Cold Heart, Your Cheating Heart, Wabash Blues, I Still Miss Someone, Born To Lose, and Foggy Mountain Breakdown.

The book assumes the player knows how to hold the bar, wear picks, read simple tablature, and has a little experience with music. The tab and the material is for the beginner with a little experience, or the intermediate player. A totally rank beginner in music might find the material a little over his head without private instruction.

The price for the course is $22 postage paid. I will have them for sale at my product table at ISGC for $20. There's no information on my website as yet about the product, this is the first notice. I just got the books back from the printer.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

[This message was edited by Herb Steiner on 30 August 2004 at 05:06 AM.]