The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Reporting attempted scams against Forumites
Bobby D. Hunter

USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2004 8:53 am    

I'd like to remind everybody that I am still tracking the remaining scammers who are slipping through our defenses, and are attempting to defraud members of the Steel Guitar Forums, so please Forward any steel guitar equipment-oriented scams to me, at: wizardodelasteel @ hotmail dot com (remove all of the spaces and substitute a . for "dot")

It is also reported that some members are now receiving 419 advance-fee, financial fraud scams, sent to email addresses used on, and possibly harvested from this Forum. I am also interested in having these messages forwarded to me for tracking.

NOTE:
It is very important that your forwarded email contains the original full headers, if it to be of any use to me. The scam message without the headers is of no use at all. Some email clients automatically include these headers when you Forward the message, such as Outlook Express. Others strip them out, by default, and must be coaxed into displaying them.

How to display and copy the headers:

Every email client (program) will have a means of displaying the headers, which can then be copied and pasted into a new email message. For instance, Outlook Express uses Alt + Enter to display the headers of a message that is either highlighted or is being viewed. You can also use the File menu and select Properties. Then go to the Details tab. The full headers will be displayed. Right-click and choose Select All, then right-click again and choose Copy.

Open a new email message, address it, add a subject, the right-click in the message body and choose Paste.

Message to users of the Incredimail email client:
Incredimail strips out the original message headers when forwarding messages. These headers are needed to track an email's origin, not the message body. The headers are not usually visible in any email, as they work behind the scenes to deliver the email.

I have visited the Incredimail website and found the following information, at - http://www.incredimail.com/english/help/faq.html - which will allow you to display and copy the headers in any original email.

If the email is in the Inbox list, right-click on the message and select Properties. Next, click on the Details tab. Highlight all of the header, then press Ctrl + C to copy the headers to your clipboard.

If you are already viewing the message, press the keyboard keys Enter + Alt together, or, go to the File menu and select Properties. Go to the Details tab, and copy the headers.

Open a new email message and right-click and paste the headers into the body. Address it to me and add a relevant subject so I know what it is about, and send it to me.

I would also ask that Incredimail users please turn off the fancy backgrounds, emoticons and stationary, and choose Plain Text as the style to send messages to me. The needless stuff added by Incredimail cause filesize bloat and obscures the important details that are needed to track the message.

Users of Pegasus, Yahoo!, Hotmail, Firefox, etc, should consult their email program's help file, advanced options, or Email Preferences, to learn how to display and forward the full original headers.

Thanks to all who continue to forward scam emails to me. Your contributions are important in ridding the Forum of these slimeballs.

Bobby D. Hunter
Hunting Slimeball Game

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2004 12:39 pm    

bump

Bobby D. Hunter

USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2004 8:15 pm    

Thanks for the bumperousky b0b.

In my Post I said that I thought that Outlook Express sends the original headers when you forward a message, but it appears that this is not true. You will have to get the email's Properties, by pressing ALT and ENTER, then click on the Details tab. The Headers will appear in the Details window. Copy them and paste them into a new message to me. Type a meaningful subject so I know what it is all about.

I have more details about reporting scams correctly on the Forum News page, here: http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum13/HTML/001207.html

Bobby D. Hunter