The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Artist 240 W/FS
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2004 1:08 pm    

Peavey hybrid. Bright, normal, series, parallel inputs. SS preamp, 6L6 Power amp sec.
Ser. #8A 175408. Excellent cosmetic condition, perfect working order. 1501 Flat Magnet Spider Web BW. Era of the chrome knobs and wider grille rails. Same size as LTD. 120w output. Great jazz amp. Original warranty cards, paperwork. $300 and S/H. Footswitch included.

Really need the cash but...
Trades negotiated for following:
Transtubefex w/card
Roland GP100 pre/pro.
Hilton LP vol. pedal
Boss SX700 spatial processor.

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2004 1:30 pm    

GREAT AMP. Great steel amp actually. This one (I believe) has the discrete transistor preamp like the old Skynard Mace amp. Similar idea as the old LTD or Session 400. As loud as a Twin Reverb. That 12" Black Widow is like what Paul Franklin records with. Jerry I just thought I'd plug a little about this critter. If you use the normal channel run real clean with the mids way cut, it's a real nice steel voicing and super loud. Power Tubes!!!

Brad Sarno

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2004 1:43 pm    

I appreciate your comments Brad, and the bump, this one has a 15" BW tho, NOT a 12.
Some guys might like it for steel
but I have personally never found a setting with enough body to suit me, but different strokes. It is a great amp for guitar or whatever you would like a tube amp for and yes, it will get plenty loud. It can be clean or nasty as you want.

[This message was edited by Jerry Overstreet on 10 October 2004 at 03:19 PM.]

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2004 6:35 pm    

Yea, the cabinet is a bit small to create much bass, but being pretty much an E9 only player, I found it to be pretty steel-friendly. Definitely loud enough. I can imagine it being a killer jazz guitar amp like you mentioned.

Brad

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2004 7:14 pm    

Well, could be I just didn't spend enough time in the eq dep't for steel. In the interest of full disclosure, I just didn't want to mislead anyone into thinking it was designed for steel. The cabinet is the same size as the LTD which was designed for steel as is the BW speaker. I defer to you on the SS preamp design. It definitely has 4 glowing glass 6L6 power tubes for those that like tube voicing. I am using my Mosvalve w/the 2 channel pre for both steel and guitar + I have an old 1482 Silvertone tube amp that is lighter and a little more compact and a great guitar amp too, so I just don't need this Artist anymore. The footswitch is functional in at least 2 of the 4 inputs. In the one jack, you can switch between Normal or Bright or stack the 2....In the other, the choices are Bright, or Series for the heavy distortion, or stacked. You can also switch the 'verb on and off. So lots of possibilities. Thanks for the plug and input. JO

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2004 5:38 am    

Someone has asked about the type of eq control. I believe it would be considered passive rather than active, but don't hold me to it. The owner's manual is not specific. The ft. panel layout is jacks 1,2,3,4.
Bright vol., Norm., Bass, Middle, Treble, Reverb, Master vol. Standby Sw.
The reverb circuit on this amp works like it is supposed as far as I know
but, it is not very strong. If you're looking for a Fender type reverb, this isn't it.
Pics are available.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2004 10:53 am    

Please close. Deal pending.