The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Scam
Jim Johnson

Rogersville, Al. 35652
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2004 4:22 pm    

This is a scam alert regarding contact from
a Ben Bennerman who expressed interest in my
Stewart power which is listed on the Forum.
He wanted to have his contact give me a check
in the amount of $3600 and I would take out
the $250 I am asking for the power amp and
send him a cashiers check for the difference.
I feel sure the his check would not clear and
I would be out approximately 3350 dollars.
Be on the lookout for this scam artist and
be sure to report him. I have his email
in my inbox and will be happy to share it
with anyone including bOb.
Jim

John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2004 4:38 pm    

The name means nothing. Different names are used. This scam has been going on for a long time.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2004 6:03 pm    

Does email fraud carry the same penalty as mail fraud?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2004 8:15 am    

Here is a good place to report South African fraud emails, faxes, or phone calls: http://www.419legal.org/report_419_scams.htm

The page has all manner of contact info, including an email link to the SA Police Services.

Here is another African reporting service for 419 crimes: http://www.africaservice.com/fraud/reporting.html

Canadians can forward authentic fraud messages to the local office of the RCMP.

If you are getting frequent 419 scam emails I recommend that you consider becoming a reporting member of SpamCop, at http://spamcop.net

This will help in the world wide fight against all UCE (spam and scams), because SpamCop has the means to track down the original source and all intermediate relays used, and file reports with the abuse desks of all the upstream service providers. This often results in cancellation of email or ISP accounts, and even the termination of some spamvertized websites themselves.

IMHO, Wiz

Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2004 3:51 pm    

Here's a link directly to the FBI Internet Fraud Complaint Center where everyone can / should report internet fraud: http://www1.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp

The FBI-IFCC program coordinates electronically with the States' District Attornies'dedicated internet fraud offices / detectives, ...and the IFCC program takes any internet fraud very seriously.

In cases where the con artist is receiving merchandise and payment back within the USA ...or can otherwise be tracked; The FBI forwards the case electronically to the STATE Distric Attorney's Office in the jurisdiction the payment is supposed to be sent to. When I encounter internet fraud / scams where a payment address is provided, I personally and immediately file an online FBI-IFCC complaint and immediately locate and contact the internet fraud investigator office for the District Attorney for that address's jurisdiction; And inform him that an FBI-IFCC complaint has been filed ... inform him of the details of the scam ... so that he can get a handle on the scam payment address quickly.

I have twice now had to resort to this method for eBay Sellers who thought they didn't have to send the merchandise I bought, ...but were quite surprised and amazingly apologetic / motivated when in both cases a District Attorney detective knocked on their door within 3 days of informing the D.A.

If I ever encounter one of these "Nigerian" type check swap scams with a USA address to send payment to, I will also immediately contact my local FBI office and see what tricks they might have up their sleeve to mark and track a "payment" to be sent to the scumbag attempting the scam. And otherwise be as personally involved as I can in tracking the scumbag scam artist.

Even in cases with respond addresses outside the USA, the FBI-ICC is gaining grounds in tracking and prosecuting those cases in their own countries. So it is important (IMHO) to file an FBI-IFCC complaint if for nothing more than to help feed the FBI more data to work with.

Aloha,
DT~

[This message was edited by Denny Turner on 21 July 2004 at 06:41 AM.]

Gere Mullican

LaVergne, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2004 7:04 am    

I just received my first scam offer to buy my amp. This is the first time I have placed an ad to sell something. I haven't actualy been scammed yet but the offer is exactly the same as so many more on here have gotten. I can't tell where it originated from but I have saved the message as well as printed it out. It came from a person named mark_flamming@outgun.com. Very bad english and a scam that even a retarded ape could spot. I would like to help get this stuff stopped. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
Gere

Gere Mullican

LaVergne, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2004 8:07 am    

Just curious, but what if I were to send this creep a message using his e-mail for a reply and tell him if he don't stop this crap I am going to report him to the FBI? Do you think that would do any good or just make things worse. Thanks
Gere

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2004 8:26 am    

To Gere, or anybody else who thinks they want to play games with 419 scammers...

Before you start something you may regret, please read Post #24, in this thread about the same subject:
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum17/HTML/000242.html

BTW: Most of these people live and send email from Nigeria, or neighboring countries. The FBI isn't going to help you at all, unless an Interstate crime has been committed within the USA. If you can actually get ahold of one of these fraudulant checks, or money orders, which the perp wants you to clear for him, then you may be able to interest local or Federal officials. Otherwise, this is an attempted rip-off, or phishing scheme, from a foreign person in a foreign country. Follow my posted links and report these things to the South African, or Nigerian Police. Read Google results for 419 scams, where you can find many resources for identifying and reporting 419 scams. Here is the Google search page#1: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=419+scams

Wiz

[This message was edited by Wiz Feinberg on 18 July 2004 at 09:32 AM.]

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2004 8:30 am    

Your best bet is to simply ignore these emails. The FBI has no jurisdiction in the country that they operate from.

Remember that these are hardened criminals who have been bribing the government officials in their own country. Wiz and I are working on a way to block their access to the Forum server, but that solution won't be in place until mid-August (it's tied to other changes I'll be making).

In the meantime, just use your computer's "Delete" key on those scam emails.

------------------
               Bobby Lee
-b0b-   quasar@b0b.com
 System Administrator