The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ??? For all Newbies to steel guitar---------
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 1:31 pm    

How YA'LL doin' out there! How are you coming on learning your instrument and the music that you like to play on steel? What hurdle are you trying to get over? For instance, I've been playing a little over three years. Seems my biggest hurdle to tackle is training my right hand to stay in acceptable form. Seems that right hand keeps "evolving"!! My right hand is at constant war with my mind! I'm winning sometimes now!

So what tough hurdles do YOU face in learning the steel? This question is a broad statement to inspire questions about ANYTHING that us newbies face in the challenge of learning steel and it's music!

Any accomplished players may want to offer some ideas to our newbie's questions to help us out, well feel free to!

The idea of this topic, is through participation, we will see a few problems that maybe more common than we think.

Calvin Walley

colorado city colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 2:11 pm    

after 3 years at this i still can't seem to pick the bar up off the strings without getting chatter ( i think i must have the slickist bar on the planet) haha

good thread

------------------
Mullen SD-10

Gordy Hall

Fairfax, CA.
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 2:24 pm    

I've been playing about 6 months, trying to figure it out with books and playing along to music I can play on guitar. I've got the 1-4-5s figured out, with a couple variations of chords, but am still working on the minor chord voicings.

And my right hand is always picking the wrong strings!

But it's coming along.

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 2:25 pm    

I'm about 5 years in. (It seems like "newbie" status is for anybody with under 10 years behind the steel. ) One struggle has been raising the E's on the LKL and the B's on the A pedal simultaneously and smoothy. I also find it a challenge staying up to speed on fast numbers when I solo. I mostly palm block, which came to me rather easily. But I find myself pick blocking a bit more these days since taking a Joe Wright seminar. It's keeps creeping into my playing. So I work on that with the volume pedal down in between phrases during shows. Speaking of the volume pedal, I'm finally starting to get a good thing going with riding it at a high volume and using the power to sustain.....now that's satisfaction.

Overall, I'm striving for a nice clean tone and precision picking and phrasing. I am also concerned with my role in a song's structure. Myself and the fiddle player have a great thing going where we trade off during a song, and that helps my dynamics quite a bit.

John Coffman

Wharton,Texas USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 3:26 pm    

About 1 1/2years. I had trouble with right hand and following tab sturcture. When to pick when to hold etc. Finding a teacher in my area was hard. So I bought as much teaching instruction as I could. With the help of friends and formites I have progress slowly. I also had no previous musical training again slowed my progress. I finally got moved to Texas and have a teacher now and more time to play. These days I find my job is one of my biggest problems. I try to get out and see as many local shows here as I can. Best of luck to all

------------------
Thomas SD10 3/4 and D10 8/5 Beginner

Adrienne Clasky

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 3:54 pm    

I've been playing for a year or so and just moved up to a Carter U12 (which I LOVE!). My two biggest problems are changing the strings and using the volume pedal while using pedals. There is so much to learn and discover with this instrument.

Thanks for this post!

Tim Jones of Kansas

Andover, KS, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 3:57 pm    

More or less two years of casual learning has me pretty much close to where I'd like to be. Although with Western Swing and 50's-early 60's music, there is much more to be had. I don't use instructional tools or fancy 10-string guitars with lotsa pedals and so-called 'knee levers'. I just jump in and go for it, without thinking first, and that is what gives me the motivation to further learn steel guitar. I continue to challenge myself with what I have. But I don't give up, and thats an important threshold...I've come too far to quit now.

I say, the best of luck to my fellow beginners!

Tim Jones
)~Fender 1000, two pedals, and NOTHING else~(

Mike Winter

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 4:46 pm    

I figured out a few years back playing bass that I have really good dexterity with my right index finger, and not so much with the middle finger. When playing bass, I tend to use the index finger most of the time, the middle finger somewhat, and the ring finger hardly at all. So, when playing steel, I tend to unconsciously follow the same pattern. I have to make a concerted effort to use the middle finger, because it doesn't feel natural to me.

------------------
Mike
------------------
Blue Moon Highway
(Country Music...and then some.)
www.bluemoonhighway.com

Don Powalka

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 5:13 pm    

I started out with a Sho-Bud Maverick, traded it for an Emmons E9th S10, and traded it for a Sho-Bud S12U 7 & 4. I've been thinking about going to a double neck, but you loose that low E with a 10 stringer. When I began playing steel, I bought the books and studied in just about all of my spare time as I was single. I really enjoy playing the S12U, but since there isn't a whole lot of instructional material available for universals, it forced me to experiment and learn on my own. My only gripe is I never learned any real speed picking techniques. I hope to hook up with some local players and learn scales and right hand tech to get some speed. I do enjoy discovering new chord formations as they really can "color" the music I can play, and that makes up for my lack of speed.

------------------
Fender Strat Fender Tele Gibson Les Paul ShoBud U12 Genuine Dobro Washburn B16 banjo for aggravation

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 5:28 pm    

Funny thing Mike,my problem is just the opposite.I've been playing lead for years using a flat pick and my middle and ring fingers,and now I find it hard to make the index do what it's supposed to do.In trying to train it I'm doing this,I practice with the thumb pick and index pick only.Seems to be working.I've got the vol.ped.working good and no problems with finding A and B peds,and all 4 KL's.Still can't use C ped very well and my blocking still sux.But can't walk away from a fight.
This forum has been a true blessing.So many seasoned vets here to answer questions.I'll never be able to thank them enough. Thanks Guys.PJ

Andy Jones

Mississippi
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 5:51 pm    

After 8 months into this great venture,my main problem is difficulty in sliding the bar from the higher to lower frets with accuracy.Also when playing in public,I can't get the bowling balls off that are stuck on my hands,or so it seems.I used to pick at my sister-in law about that when she played the piano,and now it's happening to me!

Calvin Walley

colorado city colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 6:04 pm    

hey Andy
thats what i call the
" Barnie Fife " syndrome
i have it bad, i can play fairly well (for me that is) as long as no one is listening to me but if i know someone is listening to me play my hands will shake like ole Barnie haha

------------------
Mullen SD-10

Andy Jones

Mississippi
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 6:19 pm    

Calvin,it will go away as we gain confidence.I know because it was like that when I started playing banjo with a bluegrass group.When I learned how to play decently,it was like walking.I'll just be so glad when I learn to play this MSA!Another thing,I have a bad habit of resting my right leg against my RKR,making my 2nd string sharp.

Larry Strawn

Golden Valley, Arizona, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 7:02 pm    

Andy,,
I'm not sure it ever goes away comletely, at least I hope it doesn't it keeps me on my toes.

I've been into this PSG a little over 10 years now playing just about every week-end, and still if I know there's another steeler in the club I'm all thumbs, takes about a half dozen songs before I can find the right strings and pedals. there's only a few of us here in this area, but they are all better and more experienced than I am.

They have all been really supportive and encouraging towards me, never a bad word! I don't know if it's because they are just nice folks, or if it's because I'm 6'1' and 225 lbs!! lol..

Heck, every now and then I play something that makes them grin and give me a thumbs up!

Larry

------------------
"Fessy" S/D 12, 8/6 Hilton Pedal, Sessions 400 Ltd. Home Grown E/F Rack
"ROCKIN COUNTRY"

Roy Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 8:19 pm    

I have 62 years of experience, many years of which I was a professional -- and I'm still learning a little more each time I practice or play a gig. In my expeience playing and teaching, I have learned that the most successful beginning steelers are those who enjoy the actual learning experience. Thus, in my opinion, those who simply want to play are usually much less successful than those who actually enjoy the learning. As you progress up the learning curve, you will find hundreds of thrilling "ah-ha" moments that make the learning process enjoyable.

You can't just want to play; you have to want to learn.

------------------

Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.

Pat Kelly

Wentworthville, New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 10:45 pm    

After two years, I still can't for the life of me move to or from the open position without bar chatter. Suggestions?

Edit: I'm not sure if it's the same problem as Calvin in post 2 or not.

[This message was edited by Pat Kelly on 23 April 2006 at 11:46 PM.]

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2006 12:49 am    

I find I have good luck searching around the neck for patterns in a key.

How many ways can I do transitions
from one chord to another in a 6 chord jazz blues pattern.

Same idea either neck, or any neck for that matter.

I look for both big and small voicings.
If you can find BIG ones, then you can pull them apart into small ones easily.

Tab often gives you somebody else's small groupings,
but they very likely saw a bigger picture, that they then made them from,
but you only see the small one with TAB.

If I can find clean passing chords in any direction,
I have chords to use at any time.

Of course picking string grips and blocking them,
is always a work in progress.

Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2006 1:45 am    

I'm about a year I'd guess into Reece's 12 string tuning. I'm starting to really branch out for different grips and combinations. There are so many on this tuning that it's a little daunting in the begining. The thing that seems to give me trouble at this point is a lazy index finger on my picking hand. No problem as long as I'm grabbing chords but when I start to do some single string stuff or scales, my middle finger and thumb do most of the work and I sometimes get that index finger caught up. I'm working on it though so hopefully this problem will go away.

Rick

John Coffman

Wharton,Texas USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2006 3:54 am    

Roy, You are so right you must want to learn. If it was just wanting to play I would have made these steels a boat anchor. When you stop learning you die. Right on Roy.

------------------
Thomas SD10 3/4 and D10 8/5 Beginner

Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2006 4:50 am    

my main problem is not enough time in the week to play.
second, thumb picks; cant find one that fits w/o pain. yes, Ive kearned the hotwater adjustment.
perhaps my problem stems from forty years of flatpick and bare middle finger method on all my other non pedal guitars.
and lastly, working the right knee lever w/o bothering the volume pedal.
not alot of room on that side.
I am learning slowly and having alot of fun.
I play a 74 ShoBud. the tone gets me every time..

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2006 5:34 am    

there is a great little exercise that WE ALL should be doing..especially early on..

Put the Bar down. Put it down..thats right..put it away...

Sit at the Steel..

No pedals..
pick string 10, then 8, then 6..
then 8, then 6 ,then 5
then 6, then 5 then 4
then 5,then 4 then 3

Repeat with AB pedals down

Then repeat with B Pedal and E Lower Lever...

This is a great little exercise for getting your right hand in shape..as well as working in your left foot and left foot with left Knee.

Do this at a steady meter..not fast..start slow..build it up.

Do this 5 minutes a day..

Do it for 30 days ..you will be amazed...

You will notice that the standard string grips are close to or have entered your Auto Pilot zone...which is mandatory...

You will also become very familiar with the different tonalities of each grip...

good luck..
t

Lawrence Sullivan

Granite City, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2006 9:06 am    

I have had my Carter SD10 a couple years now and started out with Jeff Newmans Right Hand Alfa but the biggest problem I have encountered is getting the music in my head
If you get it in your head you can eventually get it to your hands I can play a few tunes but have big problems trying to imagine what to play along with a tune
I listen to the better players on tunes and wonder how they thought of that but can't match it
Good luck everyone
Larry

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2006 9:50 pm    

Hey Tony, That sounds like a great plan! Thanx!!

Darryl Hattenhauer

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2006 11:19 pm    

I have only one hurdle to clear: I stink.

------------------
"Drinking up the future, and living down the past"--unknown singer in Phoenix

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2006 3:52 am    

While I am not a newbie, I do find this topic interesting. You guys will find out in time you will solve most of the problems you are experiencing. I noticed one comment about picking with the thumb and index finger. There are some people who pick that way and if it works for you then that is ok. I found one thing that takes time is releasing the pedals and levers the way you want them to sound. I have sat down with young players and they had trouble with releasing pedals and levers just as they did with pick blocking. I admire all of you for choosing a instrument that is very challenging. Just stick with it and I promise after a while many things will become like second nature to you. The steel guitar has brought me many years of enjoyment. One thing I like about the steel is that there are not too many people around that can play one which makes us special. Best wishes to all of you, and especially James Moorehead, my friend up in Oklahoma.