The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  101 Ranch Boys
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2005 10:28 am    

I've heard that Leonard T. Zinn played with the 101 Ranch Boys, but I've never heard of this group in any other context. Where can I get a recording of them? I can play LPs, 45s, cassettes and CDs. Any sources? I'd like to hear the band that propelled L.T. to stardom.

Anyone have an old record that I could borrow for a week?

L. T. is one of my favorite players in the world, by the way. His hands on the Hawaiian guitar are phenomenal.

------------------
Bobby Lee (a.k.a. b0b) - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Williams D-12 E9, C6add9, Sierra Olympic S-12 (F Diatonic)
Sierra Laptop S-8 (E6add9), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (E13, C6 or A6)

Bill Pastuch

Bluegrass Country Kentucky USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2005 10:53 am    

Boy that's a tough question Bobby.

My dad used to listen to their radio shows that aired on Saturday P.M. in the late 40's
on a major network simply titled, "The 101 Ranch Boys" and he never missed a show.

They were popular enough back then and surely had to have recorded some of their songs on a major or minor record label.

This info must be archival somewhere, maybe try the Library of Congress.

Bill Pastuch

Bluegrass Country Kentucky USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2005 11:02 am    

Bobby:

Nix the Library of Congress, just Google 101 Ranch Boys and get a ton of info including sources for their records.

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2005 7:54 pm    

Bobby:

There was a reissue LP in the 70s or 80s out of Germany--on Cattle, Castle, Cowgirlboy or one of their affiliated labels, all put out by Reimar Binge.

I think there has recently been a CD reissue on Lentzco.

Contact Mike Gross of the Swingin' West net radio show for details. I think he has played a track or two from it. It's gotta be an import.

And a track or two has been reissued on a Columbia label anthology of 40s and 50s C and W.

Bobby Lee

Post  Posted 3 Jul 2005 8:25 pm    

How can I be sure that L. T. is on it. Is he on all of their recordings? I see a track here and a track there on various anthologies. Is there any CD that someone can recommend with some great old style steel guitar from L. T.?

------------------

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2005 2:16 am    

I think Leonard is on all of them. I remember their local broadcasts from the York, Pa radio station and later the TV shows from Channel 8 in Lancaster, Pa. I used to see them at local shows around central Pa (including Valley View Park) and Leonard was always with them.

A lot of the bands billings was "Leonard Zinn and the 101 Ranch Boys".

Egil Skjelnes

Meland,Frekhaug
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2005 4:50 am    

Hi Bob.
If you go to this site,you may find a good LP with L.T. all over it.It is named:
George Long & the 101 Ranch Boys-Singing and swinging western style-Cattle LP75. This label releases alot of old stuff like this,they may still have copys,even re-released it on CD. www.dagmar-anita-binge.de
Hope this takes you a step further.
Regards,Egil.

Bobby Lee

Post  Posted 4 Jul 2005 8:16 am    

Anyone who wants to hear how L.T. Zinn sounds today should buy one of his CDs from the forum catalog. They are all simply beautiful steel guitar albums.

------------------

[This message was edited by Bobby Lee on 04 July 2005 at 09:16 AM.]

Doyle Huff

Broken Arrow, OK USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2005 9:38 am    

I have a photo of the 101 Ranch Boys with L.T. in it. I prize that photo.

Evelyn Whitney

Muskegon, MI 49441 USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2005 7:39 pm    

b0b
L T just found this post and he will answer your inquirey in person, right here.
Yes he has reissued the 101 Ranch Boys recording from the 40s and 50s (Lenzco)
He has titled it "Remembering" and Mike Gross is playing cuts from it OFTEN on his Swingin' West Radio Show. (Thanks Mike)
You can get copys from L T at 1890 Carriage Rd Suite 210 Muskegon, Mi 49442 You may call him at 231 777 1339 or 231 719 0410.
I, want to interject here that while L T was with the Ranch Boys they did broadcast from an ABC network station in York Pa nationwide every SAt. at noon and people such as the great Jimmy Day, Bobby Black, Jody Carver, have told L T that he was a great influence on them as they listened to the show. Actually in those days they were on the air live, seven time a week, from the ABC station and a Mutual station.
In those days if you weren't hearing them live, some DJ was playing their records.
L T was the only steel guitarist the Ranch Boys ever used. He was their music arranger, also.
He and Smoky Roberts of (Lancaster PA) are the only 2 remaining of the band.
Rocky Rydell who joined them at a later date is still among us.
If anyone would like a picture of the band, let us know and we can get some out to you.
One note of interest about Smoky. He is an underwater cinmatographer. If you had know who he was you would have probably seen his work on public TV from time to time.
Thanks from L T for the nice interest.
He's still going strong and is getting ready to go to Winchester IN for the Hawaiian get
together where he will hold a seminar, play his portion of the show and do some MC work.
He will see a lot of you in St Louis.

Evelyn Whitney

Muskegon, MI 49441 USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2013 10:51 pm     update

Leonard T Zinn turned 88 years of age on Dec 27th.
He now lives at 4512 Arbutus Ct Muskegon Mi 49442 and can be reached at evelynwhitney32@yahoo.com Or Alohaltzinn@yahoo.com
Still selling the recordings in CD form now...

Zeke Cory

Hinsdale, New York USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2013 2:34 am     About LT ...

Back around the early 90's, I played with a band called Keystone at the Appalachian Jubilee in Chambersurg PA. LT was the staff steel player on that show. What a great steel guitar player he is. He had a music store just up the street from the Jubilee theater. One nite, I arrived very late at the Jubilee due to a snow storm. LT said to just use his guitar already setup on stage. Well, I did, and when I started our first song, I realized his guitar was setup totally different than mine. I guess we all have different meanings to "standard setup". What a tough hour that turned out to be. lol. He spoke often of the 101 Ranch Boys. He is the kindest, most generous man I have met, and a real treasure in the world of steel guitars. Hats off to LT. My best to you. Zeke Cory

Evelyn Whitney

Muskegon, MI 49441 USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2013 8:50 am    

We still have many video tapes of the Jubliee Show. I enjoy watching them from time to time and I've watched Keystone's contribution to the show...You were a very good group....I'm glad L T brought a lot of those tapes to MI. He is in good health and doing quite well.

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2013 9:46 am    

Reading Jack Stoner's reply here, I remembered those early years when we boys would ride around and listen to shows by various bands but most often it would be the 101 Ranch Boys. A few years ago in Atlanta, I got to talk with L T about those glorious days of youth and fun and fine music !!

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2013 9:49 am     Going way back in time..............

Before I was ten years old, I used to go on the other side of the block and visit this kid, really large for his age, that used to steal people's empty milk bottles so he could take them to the store for change.

I later learned his mother was a 'lush' and for that reason, I wasn't allowed to visit anymore.

On more than one occasion, she'd hollar outside for us kids to "come and listen to the purty music which we obediantly did". Before I even knew what a steel guitar was, I was completely mezmerized (sp?) by the sounds I was hearing from Leonard T. Zinn and the 101 Ranch Boys from York, Pennsylvania. LT used to roll soft chords in the background between songs and behind the radio announcers' commercials, something that was truly unique in those days. I have strong recollections that LT was playing most of that stuff in C#min tuning, however, I could be wrong on this point.

She later tipped me off to this guy that made his g'tar talk. The steel guitar player was 'wah-wah' talking to the radio announcer and to his questions.
Just prior to JERRY BYRD's passing, he acknowledged that that was one of his "schtiks" in those imaginative early days of steel guitar.

Fond dreams for me, indeed.

Evelyn Whitney

Muskegon, MI 49441 USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2013 7:08 pm    

Leonard T. is enjoying these stories to the max....and so am I...What fun to hear these things..

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2013 10:32 pm    

My steel teacher Kenny Dail turned me on to the 101 Ranch boys early on. Finally got to meet Leonard T. at a Steelin' for Hearts show in Maryland. what a thrill to put a face to those great licks that I had heard coming out of that radio long ago.

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2013 4:52 am    

I spent some time with Lonard at the St Louis show 7 or 8 years ago and I bought some CD's from him. I was raised near the 101 Ranch in Oklahoma and we heard them on a Tulsa radio station. I first heard his name and I wanted to meet him. He spent a great deal of time the next day he actually looked me up because he remembered some more people he wanted to talk to me about. What a great guy.

I think I have 3 or 4 CD's

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

Evelyn Whitney

Muskegon, MI 49441 USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2013 8:46 am    

Hello Joe;
I've shown your reply to Leonard T. and he was happy that he had met you and talked about the Ranch, Etc. I've printed this thread as something that someday may be added to his life's work in book form.
Have you checked his web page? - LTZINN.COM - and he has videos on YOU TUBE. Thanks for the kind words...Evelyn..

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2013 10:28 am    

Just on his web site again - I was raised near Ponca City (Ponca Indian connection) and went to the 101 Ranch Rodeo many times. I can not remember the DJ's name on KVOO in Tulsa but many times would mention LT on steel guitar.

Leon McAuliffe and his Cimarron Boys also in Tulsa was a big deal in the 50's and 60's and also on KVOO.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

Evelyn Whitney

Muskegon, MI 49441 USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2013 10:38 am    

In the recent, past, few years, L T has reunited with the last two remaining 101 Ranch Boys...Smoky Roberts on Accordian and Rocky Reidel, Drummer....They both live in Lancaster PA. Smoky became an underwater cinema photogher and Rocky is a minister at his church...they are still active. Also met with Wayne Trout the announcer at WSBA in York, Pa where they played a lot of live shows...I just posted an old recording on FB of Beer Bottle mama...

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2013 10:07 pm    

I have a few LP albums that are worth mentioning:

Leonard T. Zinn - Reveries Of Hawaii - Largo (late '50s?)

Andy Reynolds & 101 Ranch Boys - 0ur Best To You -Renco 111 (also '50s)- George Rowe on steel

Andy Reynolds & 101 Ranch Boys - He Touched Me - Joel Records 123(late '60s) unsure who's steeling.

Joe

Evelyn Whitney

Muskegon, MI 49441 USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2013 9:30 am    

L T is now starting the process of putting together another 101 Ranch Boys CD.
He has quite a few of their recordings and has started the process....We are fortunate enough to have a studio nearby and that's where it will be put together..
My son Scott and L T are working on the Cover...I'm anxious to see and hear the finished product...Memories of my youth, for sure....

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2013 2:56 pm    

http://www.ltzinn.com/101_ranch_boys.htm

Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2013 11:44 pm    

I have a gig in Sweden this weekend and one of the songs we're playing is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HioUBnkjZLc