The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What famous artist did you back up?
Ted Solesky

Mineral Wells, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 8:33 am    

I read a remark by George Redmon stating that he worked VFW's etc and he mentioned backing up some big names. My question to you all is, what big artist did you back up? I've been a week end warrior like you all and feel good when I do an ok job backing up a big name artist. My personal favorites, when I still learning, was Buck Owens and Don Rich. I copied every Ralph Mooney lick I could get my hands on. It paid off that nite that I worked with Buck and Don. My other favorite was Patsy Cline. Later, she offered me a job but because of surgery, I had to back out. Those artist were wonderful people to meet.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 8:48 am    

Jon Wayne Texas Tour 2001 !!!!!

Dwayne Martineau

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 9:11 am    

Holy cow!

Earnest, I never made that connection until just now.

Texas Funeral is the probably THE craziest record I've ever heard.

I first heard it about 8 years ago, and I'm still trying to figure it out...

-Dm

[This message was edited by Dwayne Martineau on 14 April 2005 at 10:11 AM.]

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 9:37 am    

Well,on a "regular" basis,Jim Ed Brown,The Compton Bros.(twice),Wilma Burgess,Tommy Overstreet,Roy Clark,Cal Smith,Brenda Lee.

On a "one night" basis,Loretta Lynn,Johnny Lee,Johnny Rodriguez,Melba Mongomery,Dick Curless,Johnny Paycheck,Hank Thompson,Willie Nelson,Grandpa Jones,Charlie Louvin,Lynn Anderson,Bobby Bare,Boxcar Willie,Vassar Clements,Roni Stoneman,Penny DeHaven,Johnny Duncan,Skip Ewing,Lefty Frizzell,Jack Greene,Jan Howard,Ferlin Husky,Wanda Jackson,Jim & Jesse,PeeWee King,O.B. McClinton,Jody Miller,George Morgan,Vernon Oxford,Stella Parton,Minnie Pearl,Carl Perkins,Eddie Rabbitt,Marvin Rainwater,Susan Raye,Gunilla Hutton ("Nurse Goodbody" from HeeHaw),David Rogers,Johnny Russell,Billie Jo Spears,Sue Thompson,Porter Wagoner,Charlie Walker,Billy Walker,Jerry Wallace,The Wilburn Bros.,Sheb Wooley.

And then...the week after THAT.......

HEY,YOU were the one that asked!!
(I just couldn't seem to keep a job.

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 9:45 am    

In Austin hundreds of people stood in the rain and sang along with "Mr. Egyptian" !!

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 10:43 am    

Well I "almost" got to back a big name artist once. Larry Gatlin did a short concert at our church in Austin a couple of years ago and had our band back him up. But wouldn't you know it, I was in Dallas, at the Texas Steel Guitar Jamboree, listening to his former steel player, Mike Smith perform. Oh well, maybe next time.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

Chick Donner

North Ridgeville, OH USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 11:26 am    

Much like Smiley, above, on a regular basis, Jeannie C. Riley, Billie Jo Spears, Charlie Louvin, Wayne Kemp, Webb Pierce; on a more or less one night basis, Jeannie Pruett, Moe Bandy, David Allen Coe, Tommy Cash, Michael Twitty, Wilma Burgess, Jeannie Seely, Tom T. Hall, and "many others."

Jimmy Gibson

Cornwall, England
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 1:11 pm    

BoxCarWillie,George Hamilton 4th ,Johnny Tillotson,Patsy Montana,and a few more.

J G.Excel D10,PV Session400LTD.AMPEG SS70,PV BANDIT AND OTHER TOYS.

John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 1:45 pm    

’67–’70 Various Artists (Short~Term) ’71–’72 Billy Walker (Steady)
’73–’76 Various~Artists (Short~Term)
’77–’78 Stonewall Jackson (Steady)
’79–’98 Various Artists (Short~Term)
’99–’05 Can't Recall (too recent!)

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
’49-’50 Fender T–8 Custom
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15” Eminence

Perry Hansen

Bismarck, N.D.
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 2:13 pm    

In Hawaii in the late 50s. Lefty Frizzel,Jimmy Dickens,Faron Young. Joe and Rose Maphis,Also backed them in Alaska in 63. Fiddlin Katy Warren. Worked regular with the great George Riddle. Merle Travis, Audry Williams and Hank Jr (he was 12 then.) In alaska: Tommy Duncan, Carl Belew(sp). Moe Bandy, Tommy Collins.

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 2:14 pm    

Johnny Rodriequez
Suzy Boguss
Becky Hobbs
Hank Thompson
Del Reeves
Ronnie McDowell
Marty Stuart
Albert Lee
Ray Flacke
Sandi Patti
and others....

------------------
Tim Harr
Carter D-10 8/9 w/ BL-705s, Hilton pedal, PODxt, Webb 6-14E Amplifier, 65 Twin Reverb
http://groups.msn.com/TimHarrWebPage

[This message was edited by Tim Harr on 15 April 2005 at 01:15 PM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 2:19 pm    

I've been fortunate to work with some Nashville talent since I've been in Florida. This past winter I toured with George Hamiton IV. The past two years with Tommy Cash and I'm booked to do Tommy's Florida tour next year.

I've also done "one show" dates with Ray Pillow, David Frizzell and Alan Frizzell. And also worked with Bobby Bare, Roni Stoneman and Jack Greene who did guest appearances at the weekly show I work in.

I've also recently done several sessions for Jimmy Peppers, who has written a lot of songs and also was the drummer with Ferlin Husky in the 60's, band manager for George Jones in the late 60's/early 70's and also Produced one of Mel Street's albums.

I got to pick rhythm guitar for Bill Monroe in 72 when I worked at Little Roy Wiggin's Music City music store. Bill did a Saturday afternoon guest appearance at the store and I was in the right place at the right time.

Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 2:19 pm    

This is going to sound ridiculous, but it's true.

I backed up several country stars in the late '70's, didn't know who they were at the time and forgot their names 30 seconds after being told, so I still don't know who they were.

Of course I knew of all the old country stars, but hadn't kept up on the current ones and really wasn't interested to know. When playing clubs, I learned the new songs and the artist who did it was just a name I didn't know. It's not that I didn't like the music, I just wasn't interested in following artists or trends.

An example: When I'd quit music and was a working for Fox 5 in Las Vegas, a tough-looking black guy came in my control room and asked to use my phone, I said "sure". After his call he hung out for a while, watching a little of whatever show was airing, chatting a bit. Later someone said, "you know who that was?" I said, "nope". They said, "world heavyweight champion Mike Tyson!" I said, "Oh. OK."

So when I was on the road doing package shows with various artists, we'd get to the next one, just have time to setup, run through the tunes, shower, eat and do the show. Most of the stars' names went in one ear and out the other.

The ones I do remember were, Jeannie C. Riley, Wynn Stewart, and Lorrie Morgan. I also played a show with Shoji Tabuchi, sitting in with the Garrett Brothers Band.

I played guitar and steel on an album and Marty Stuart guested on guitar, he was a friend of the band I was in, this was before he hit it big.

Not a household name, but I did some shows with Loren Paulsen, comedian Pat Paulsen's brother.

In the "almost" department, I got a call from the Santa Rosa, Ca. union to play steel on a Hank Williams Jr. concert in town, around '75. I blew it because I felt it wouldn't be fair to dump my weekend booking to play it and couldn't fit them both in the same night, so I declined. A few days later my weekend booking cancelled. I lost the Hank Jr. show for nothing.

I played guitar with Gladys Knight and the Pips' band while Gladys was taking time off and the band worked with other artists. They asked me to join the band as a regular member and I was pretty happy about it. Turned out, Gladys took a long hiatus from live concerts in the early '80's, I never got to do a show with her. I bowed back out and went back to playing 5 nights a week in the country dance halls.

I played regular guitar on several "casuals" around Las Vegas with Curly Chalker, glad I got to do that.

I actually met and worked with many more big stars while I was a director/editor at the TV station than while I was in music full-time, but glad I got to work with a few.

Wish I knew who the others were.

[This message was edited by Jim Phelps on 14 April 2005 at 03:25 PM.]

Gene H. Brown

Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 2:39 pm    

Charlie Pride (three times) , Red Sovine, Johnny Russell, Bobby Bare, Freddie Hart, Bonnie Guitar, Rose Maddox, Wynn Stewart, Freddie Weller, Wille Nelson (One Night Jam in Portland, Oregon, also Roger Miller that night and the great Thumbs Carlisle 1966 or 67), Charlie Walker, Lawanda Lindsey, Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs, Red Simpson, Dave Dudley (many times on the road), Susan Raye (2 years TV show in Portland , Oregon), Dallas Harms, The Family Brown, Joe and Rose Lee Maphis, Little Jimmy Dickens, Gordy Tapp, Sheb Wooley (Too Many Times to Count) and a few others I have forgotten, my memeory ain't what it should be anymore.

------------------
If You Keep Pickin That Thing, It'll Never Heal!

[This message was edited by Gene H. Brown on 14 April 2005 at 04:13 PM.]

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 3:08 pm    

Hank Thompson. David Houston, and Sheb Wooley

Les Anderson

The Great White North
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 3:08 pm    

I have backed four biggy names in the world of Blues and Jazz; however, it was not with a steel guitar so I will just read on and turn several shades of green with envey.

One of my favourite country stars who I would have loved to back was Wilma Burgess. What a tremendous and beautiful voice the lady had. For those of you who did play behind her, I envey you greatly.

------------------
(I am not right all of the time but I sure like to think I am!)

[This message was edited by Les Anderson on 14 April 2005 at 04:11 PM.]

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 4:08 pm    

I did a record with Hasil Adkins and one time I jammed wiith the French band "Magma".

------------------
Bob
intonation help

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 4:58 pm    

Devo
A pickup band for 1 show with Doug Fieger (The Knack) on vocals and Ry Cooder on guitar.
El Vez
Did some recording for Joe Strummer, who loved country music and steel guitars.
Played live several times with Thomas Newman, film composer.
Designed and built an instrument that was recorded for John Williams' piece for the opening of Disney Hall.

Played on 50+ films for various composers including Thomas Newman, Christopher Young and Ed Shearmur.

Got to be in the video for "Caught in the Crossfire", SRV, because of my tattoos, not my playing. Always good to have something to fall back on in the music business.

Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 5:16 pm    

Does playing along with the record or CD count? If so I have played with them all.(except the new country stuff)

Chad Karnitz

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 5:50 pm    

Craig Davidson

Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 6:06 pm    

Hey, I left out the most famous of them all, Buck Starr!

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 6:18 pm    

As the staff steeler at the Georgia Mtn. Fair I have been honored to back several stars including Jeannie Sealey, Johnny Gimble, Ray Pillow, Bill Carlisle, Jack Green, Hank Thompson, Melba Montgomery, Hank Locklin, and Charlie Walker.

On other gigs I have worked with Warner Mack, Barbara Fairchild, Stringbean, and Mac Wiseman.

------------------
"Gimme a steel guitar, 2 or 3 fiddles and a Texas rhythm section that can swing"..R. Pennington

Billy Wilson

El Cerrito, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 6:21 pm    

Charlie Louvin for a five nighter ln Oakland. Fred Maddox for a two day festival in San Diego. I got to play guitar behind Vance Terry alot in the 80's and 90's which was great. I had Tom Waits as a guest in my Zydeco band one night. He sang "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" and "Fever"

Neil Lang

Albert Lea, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 6:31 pm    

Steel for: Johnny Lee, Jeannie Seely, Hagar Twins, Margo Smith, Tommy Jennings, Jan Howard, Susan Raye & Charlie Rich Jr.

Same Bill (opened for):
George Jones, Randy Travis and Don Williams.

Neil Lang

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 6:34 pm    

I played guitar or bass backing Chuck Berry, Luciano Pavoratti, Henry Mancini, Oscar Peterson, Chet Atkins, Bob Hope, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, Perry Como, Herb Ellis, Roy Clark, more vocal groups than I can even remember, Lawrence Welk, Billy Eckstein, Trini Lopez dozens and dozens more. I used to work a lot of show clubs and concerts back in the 70s and 80s when so many groups traveled and just picked up a rhythm section in the town they were performing in. That's pretty much over now.