The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  OK Next Question
Bobby Bensley

Orange County, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 8:05 am    

How many players here have mp3s out there somewhere that I can go listen to?

I have found the MP3 to be a valuable tool for me in my A&R work as well as in the promotion of my own music. Having sold several hundred CDs to people I would have never reached without the MP3 and the Internet.

I have visited a few websites for the groups I have met here but aside from a few archived clips of breaks and turn arounds I have found no MP3s?

Point me to them and let me give a listen. I might even get inspired and do some reviews. I write for several publications so you never know where a review I do might show up.

------------------
Bobby Bensley -JavaMusic A&R

Bob Farlow

Marietta,GA,
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 8:48 am    

check this link:

http://www.waltersclan.com/jd&linda/

Ray Jenkins

Gold Canyon Az. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 9:12 am    

Bob, check your e-mail,I attatched an MP3 of David Wright,I don't think he will mind you hearing this one.It's really good. Ray

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 9:12 am    

Sure,
Tone Chaperones' Most Recent CD

(RealAudio if you choose 'lo-fi'; mp3 if 'hi-fi')

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro

[This message was edited by Larry Bell on 11 July 2002 at 10:19 AM.]

Bobby Bensley

Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 9:53 am    

I Fall To Pieces feat: David Wright on Steel

Ahhh, yes, as the email signature said “Country music is alive and well.”
This live recording of Cline’s Classic features a dynamic and emotive female vocal. Classic country with a touch of jazz gives this recording a breath of freshness while remaining true to the tune. This rendition unlike many others done in the past actually does the piece justice. Many club artists attempt to do Patsy’s tunes most do them badly. Occasionally one comes along who has the strength and dynamic control to pull off that signature sound. This lady stands out from the crowd and handles the tune well..

Unfortunately for Steel player David Wright, during much of this piece his work is far in the back of the mix. When the production opens up though as it does for the break at 4 minutes this player really shines. Strong and emotive chops drive the melody. Great tone with just enough reverb to carry and sustain the undertones into tastefully picked lead riffs.

Were it not for the upfront presence of the Steel track during the breaks I would have thought this recording came from a mini disk plugged direct into the tape out on a mixer at a bar gig and that the Amp for the steel was not running through the mix. But the big up front presence of the Steel on the break says the track was captured and then mixed back.

Anyways this is a well-done performance on the part of all involved and was very enjoyable listen. I thank you for sharing it with me.

------------------

[This message was edited by Bobby Bensley on 11 July 2002 at 10:55 AM.]

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 10:01 am    

http://www.lasttrainhome.com/mp3s/mp3s.html

My Band: Last Train Home

MP3's sample page.

Examples with lots of backing steel or solos:
Blue Skies (fills)
List of Sorrows (solo)
Angelina (solo)
Long Time Gone (solo)
Christmas in St.Paul (backing-solo)

------------------

"I AM Z-BOY!"

Zumsteel U12 "Loafer" 8&6 :: ZB Custom D-10 :: Fender Tube Amplification
www.voicenet.com/~vanallen/ :: vanallen@voicenet.com :: www.lasttrainhome.com

Bobby Bensley

Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 10:05 am    

Remington Ride – featuring JD & Linda

I am not sure who is who in this Melodic Instrumental Country romp but they sure do play well.
An entertaining toe taper this tune blisters through the scales. Well produced and recorded this 192 kbs MP3 file brings to life the full sonic qualities of the track. The highs are rich and the sustain is full as this track lopes along and bends its way through a vocal melody.

I think one of the things that really impresses me about the Steel Guitar is it diversity in tone. At one moment it can be Country epitomized and the next it is taking the horn lines in a jazz piece as this due exhibits in Take The A Train.

Great work here and very inspiring, I would truly love to see the music from this forum promoted and shared with the many fans out there that do not even know it exists.

------------------

Bobby Bensley

Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 10:25 am    

Selections from Drinkin', Lyin', Cheatin', Cryin', and sometimes.....Dyin'
By: The Tone Chaperones

The Bio says “The Tone Chaperones are a Traditional Country Band with swing, and Rockabilly overtones.” Not a truer statement could be made about this versatile band out of Michigan (I assume they are from Michigan since the link to the official site at Double D Records was broken).

The first track sampled on this CD Baby page “Diamond T” runs the gambit of genres in a single piece. From the opening vocal one is reminded of Jerry Lee or Warren Storm. As the track progresses it incorporates country chops and melodies with Rockabilly rhythms and Surf guitar solo breaks.

From there they move right into the crying Steel tones to open the country 2 stepper “I Know Who I Am” Here is a tune that is carried instrumentally by the Steel. Ever present it lays the melodic foundation for the lyrics. The Vocals on this piece seem a little tight and stressed at times suggesting that the vocalist is not totally comfortable in the upper registers. That aside as the lyrics suggest you can’t judge him to harshly since the tight feel actually contributes to that old timey feel of the tune.

Blues and swing enter the picture in the high stepping D.U.I. This tune frolics through a serious lyric in a fun whimsical blues strut. Counter pointing harmonies from the Steel accent this piece and give it that little push that takes this album over the top an earn it a place on the top shelf of the collection.

------------------

[This message was edited by Bobby Bensley on 11 July 2002 at 11:27 AM.]

Bobby Bensley

Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 1:01 pm    

Selections from– True North
By: Last Train Home

“All Eyes Go”
Picture if you will a sold out amphitheater, the crowd hushed in anticipation as Leo LeBlanc slides into a smooth and sexy slide guitar intro with Jacob Dylan providing additional guitar as the rest of the band begins to fall in to time.

What you mean this is not the Wallflowers on the Bringing Down The Horse tour? Well until the vocals kicked in you could swear that this opening track from the 1999 freshman release Last Train Home was indeed the Wallflowers. The difference in style and talent comes in with the vocals.

Eric Brace’s vocals on this one are far superior to anything offered by the Jr. Dylan on Bringing Down the Horse. Clear and crisp with a tenor that is both smoky and smooth, one is reminded of Alan Jackson in timbre. Spot on harmony vocals only accent this piece that is as ready for Contemporary Rock / Country radio as anything ever done by Dylan, The Eagles, or Big Head Todd and The Monsters.

“Doughnut Girl”

Now here is a fun and fanciful flight that crosses genre boundaries. With a base sound reminiscent of the 40’s carnival houses this tune jumps up and grabs you in the Chorus. Blend Charlie Chaplin with The Mommas and the Pappas and throw in a healthy helping of tasteful banjo and you get the picture.

The liner notes mention that there is a great Pedal Steel outro that was excluded from this piece because of the stellar trumpet work on the track, and stellar it is indeed melodic and enticing it is a wonderful outro for this fun tune. Fortunately for the listener the competing PSG outro was included on the album as a “Not So Hidden Track” but regrettably it was unavailable to me for this review.

“Never Been To Memphis”
This track shows that Last Train is a well rounded contemporary country rock band as comfortable and capable of authentic Country R&B as they are Contemporary Rock.

If the 3 cuts I listened to from this album are indicative of the quality of the content on this disk then this is indeed one of those treasures that one runs into occasionally in the world of Independent music. Pro performances, top shelf production and content that is diverse, moving and entertaining this is an album that could and should spin along side the best of it class.

PS: I just found the 30 second bonus track “The Outro from Doughnut Girl” on another website. Wow that is some tasty PSG, I can see how the PSG and the trumpet could not peacefully co-exist on the outro to that track. Both parts are exceptional and I am sure glad I did not have to make the choice between them. I think I would have wound up leaning towards the guitar track but then I am partial to guitars.

I also just realized I just reviewed the wrong album and am now giving a listen to the other album, which features a whole lot, more of David Van Allen’s Pedal picking. Very tasteful stuff, full of harmony and sorrow at times and jumping with energy at others it adds an element to the music that takes it over the top of good to the realm of great.

The more I listen to this band the more I like them, I think I may have to buy these CDs.

------------------

[This message was edited by Bobby Bensley on 11 July 2002 at 02:27 PM.]

[This message was edited by Bobby Bensley on 11 July 2002 at 02:31 PM.]

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 2:41 pm    

thanks for the kind words... pray tell what site had an mp3 of the outro to Doughnut Girl?!?!?

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 3:27 pm    

Bobby, if you're lookin' for more listening, here's a few: My solo CD is at www.jimcohen.com , with the mp3s at www.jimcohen.com/listen.html .

My swing band's latest CD is at www.beatswalkin.com , with sound files at www.beatswalkin.com/listen.html or at www.cdbaby.com/beatswalkin

Enjoy!
Jimbeaux

------------------
The "Master of Acceptable Tone"
www.jimcohen.com

[This message was edited by Jim Cohen on 11 July 2002 at 08:43 PM.]

Bobby Bensley

Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 4:04 pm    

Dave,I found it on the bands CDNOW page. It was just a 30 second clip.

Jim, I will give a listen later tonight. Swing is one of my favorite genres so I look forward to it.

------------------

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 4:13 pm    

Bobby if you want to hear many of the players who participate on this forum I have an Internet radio station that plays only tunes from the likes of the forum players, and many, no, all are great, (not including me ) See my website for the link to Steel Guitar Unknown Heroes located at www.live365.com and it's free.

tp
TPrior/SteelGuitarHomesite

Douglas Hudson

Galena, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 5:03 pm    

Hello again Bobby,

You can hear some of the early songs of the band Lightning Creek on cd baby. These songs were recorded in a local studio and prior to my being hired for steel guitar. We are going into a studio the end of this month to do a full length album. Thanks for the comments on the web site.
www.cdbaby.com/lightningcreek www.lightningcreekband.com

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 7:37 pm    

Bobby Bensley- You are doing a great job on those reviews. Shows a lot of Knowledge and expertise.

JD Walters CD's and Jim Cohen are two more that I would like to ask you to review.

Bobby-chekc Jim Cohen's previous post on this July 11....thanks...al

[This message was edited by Al Marcus on 15 July 2002 at 07:19 AM.]

Bobby Bensley

Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 7:50 pm    

Tony, I will be sure to check the radio show out. 365live has sure provided a great tool for the Indie artist to get his music heard.

Lets hope that the new fees associated with the CARP rulings don't cause to many of the station programmers who really cared about the music to back away from broadcasting on the Internet.

Doug, I will get by and hear some of that early stuff. Thanks for the link.

Al, where can I hear these albums? I will gladly review them if they are available.
If they are not streamable online you can always send me their packages. I do accept unsolicited materials but anything coming in marked, as a forum member will be treated as solicited.

Promo packages can be sent to the address in the A&R link in my signature.

------------------

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2002 9:23 am    

Hi Bobby you can find 115 clips, some of them full tunes some of them 30-60 sec. @ http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/html/basil_bio.html

Hope you like some of them.
Baz.

------------------
Quote:
Steel players do it without fretting

http://www.waikiki-islanders.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Doyle Huff

Broken Arrow, OK USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2002 7:30 pm    

Bobby. As far as i know, J.D. is the only live member of the group. He recorded the entire cd in his bedroom using Band in the Box. As he and I are close friends, I was present when he laid down some of the tracks.
You can get a cd though J.D. Go to his web site and get his e-mail address there. His wife sings on some of the cd tracks, his son plays drums on some, and a good friend of ours plays guitar on some. Mostly it is just him and BinB. Remington Ride is just him and BinB

Bobby Bensley

Post  Posted 14 Jul 2002 11:27 pm    

Thanks Doyle, I have been out of town modst of the weekend but will get back to some reviewing tomorrow.

Peace,

------------------

Bobby Bensley

Post  Posted 17 Jul 2002 8:50 am    

Jim Cohen, shows that the PSG is not just for backing tracks and solos.

Listening right now to Desafinado from his debut album "Finally Here" and it is as melodic and any guitar or piano could be on this tune. Saucy and full of spice this Salsa piece moves with fluid ease and Jim has really put together a fantastic arrangement here. The xylophone outro is an extra nice touch.

This is a CD that deserves top shelf placement alongside the legends of this craft. Legends who no doubt had an influence on this man but who in all honesty could and should be called Jim’s Contemporaries.

------------------

Bobby Bensley

Post  Posted 17 Jul 2002 8:59 am    

Hi Baz, say if you can suggest 2-3 full songs out of that mamoth list that are full songs and not samples I will gladly offer a review.

Thanks,

------------------

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2002 9:44 pm    

Bobby,
Thank you for the kind words, you pretty much hit the recording on the head, it was cut live at the club we were playing, to a mini disk just as you though, my stell was in the board, we always keep the music down for Janice when she is singing, when its time to play then you play, she is such a great singer, you really don't need a lot goin on...Im in Nashville right now, doing the NAMM show for Sierra , Thank's again for the nice comments on the song, I do all the arragements for the band,....

------------------
My Web Page
Sierra Guitars

Sierra S-12 9&7
Peavey-2000-PX-300

[This message was edited by David Wright on 18 July 2002 at 06:55 AM.]

Bobby Bensley

Post  Posted 18 Jul 2002 1:16 am    

Dave, it was my pleasure and I really enjoyed the tune. Hope to hear more soon.

------------------

Al Miller

Waxahachie Texas
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2002 5:25 am    

Bobby
check out this site:
www.chris caldwell music .com
lots of steel here to listen too.
its a band i worked with in OK for a while.i think even one track has tommy white on it.
BOO MILLER

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2002 8:41 pm    

Hi Bobby,
Thanks for listening, and I appreciate your nice words about my music. Glad you enjoyed it. All the best,
Jim Cohen

------------------
The "Master of Acceptable Tone"
www.jimcohen.com