The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How many of you get to gig with your own kids?
Mark Metdker

North Central Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2004 10:27 am    

My son is also an accomlplished guitarist. He can play just about any style, and like me, loves to play just about any kind of gig. Looks like he may now be a permanent addition to our band. I like this for the following reasons.

1. I can stay on steel just about all night now.

2. I now have a designated driver at every gig!

3. I make him carry my Session 500!

4. ...and...shhhhh, don't tell anybody, but...he's better than me!

5. It's just plain old fun playing with your own son.

click on band link below and check out the last picture.

------------------
BMI S-10
Peavey Session 500

Band Pics
http://community.webshots.com/album/176544894AuXSmi

My other hobby
http://community.webshots.com/album/56863057VldOYC

Work Pics
http://community.webshots.com/album/104144205xDgckj

Eddie D.Bollinger

Calhoun City, Mississippi
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2004 10:42 am    

I'll use the backdoor on this one.
In october of 2003, We opened the Bollinger
Family Theater in Bruce, Mississippi.
Involved is my dad, my 2 brothers and their
wives, my wife, my daughter, my mother, 4 nieces and nephews, and 12 other close friends.
A Branson style show that we put together
for the fun of it. It is now a weekly event
in our new 350 seat theater. We are having
the time of our life.

Call 1-800-530-7047 for tickets.

Eddie Bollinger

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2004 10:47 am    

I've gigged with my daughter Rebecca who somehow became a professional calibre bass player while still in high school. Sings great harmony too, and in Regina where she lived for her last two years of high school did gigs in her preferred persona as a "folkie". Now that she's in university on the east coast, its a little harder to fly her in for gigs though. I remember my friend and early mentor, the late Tom Keates in Kingston Ontario having his son Mike playing lead guitar in his band and always thought that was a great thing. So it was a real thrill for me when I realised that as long as it wasn't a bar gig I had a perfect bass player in my daughter.

Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2004 11:07 am    

I've got no kids, at least no one's proved that they're my kids yet!!

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2004 11:28 am    

Good timing for this question. My 15-year old son is traveling with me to Ireland, and will play alto sax on a few tunes on my sets at the ISGA. He also played on one cut on my latest CD. I'm looking forward to sharing more musical experiences with him.

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2004 11:53 am    

I gig with my granddaughter (sax) and wife (keyboards), plus others. I lead a Christian Rock Group, of 11 members, in our church. Truly a rewarding experience!

Tim Bridges

Hoover, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2004 12:01 pm    

I have 4 kids. Two that are 21, of which 1 is a good guitar player. The other wants to make money. My youngest son is 15 and a real prodigy. He plays percussion. He's the best of the bunch by far. The challenge arises when the younger son gets bored. I am trying to encourage him to be open to different styles of music. At 15, he's in to Big Band Swing, jazz, orchestra, etc. At 15, I didn't even know what they meant, much less play it. But, it is really fun to watch these youngsters and hear them play. My older son likes the southern rock, SRV, Clapton type stuff which I've played for years. They'll both be much better than I'd ever hoped to have been. That's gratifying!

My daughter is only 9, but is a real ham for the audience, she's cute and has a great voice. She wants to play fiddle.

God I hope I live long enough to play with all of them together. That would be way to cool. Good topic!

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2004 12:21 pm    

I play in a CW band with my son of 18. He eats up a tele and sings great, and is doing great on fiddle. He covers bass half the night so I get some time on the steel. We play some of the little opries around, and hit some of the nursing homes, as well as a few good paying gigs. We also are getting involved with our Steel Guitar club jams. My son plays with the band, and I play where needed on bass, too, as well as doing my steel set. We play every weekend somewhere. My daughter is taking piano and will join in on the fun soon, and my wife is our biggest fan.
THE FAMILY THAT PICKS TOGETHER STICKS TOGETHER!!!

Mike Hoover

Franklin, TN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2004 12:28 pm    

Mark,
I get to play with my oldest son and grandaughter in church. The first time this happened it all of a sudden hit me that there were 3 generations on the stage at the same time. This was neat and also makes a lump in your throat.

Mike

Jim Peters

St. Louis, Missouri, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2004 2:00 pm    

My oldest son, Jim, plays with our band when he is not busy with his own, and has subbed for me on some occassions. It's a blast when we play together, he is great on slide, and when we do Lay Down Sally, we go into Jessica, and do some twin lead Allman Bros. stuff. JimP(SR)

George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2004 4:15 pm    

My Granddaughter played fiddle and sang with my band on Saturday night. She has performed with us about 7 or 8 times now. It won't be long and she will be the star of the show. Plays classical music also. I am trying to make sure that she knows her share of the Tommy Jackson fiddle work from the 50's and 60's. Plays a mean Cotten Eyed Joe, Boilin' Dem Cabbage Down, Faded Love, Maiden's Prayer and a few more. With a little more experience and exposure to the right material she will a good one. She also sings some of the classic country like Once A Day, Apartment # 9 and others. Oh, did I mention she is 15.

[This message was edited by George Duncan Sypert on 04 October 2004 at 05:18 PM.]

Jesse Harris

Ventura, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2004 5:37 pm    

I get to play with my dad and with my brother all the time , Its one of the coolest things and it makes travelling a lot more relaxed and fun, only problem is that they are untouchables, I can't fire them lol...:>

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2004 7:08 pm    

Mark, I wonder does your son play steel as well? It is good to see such a young man play country. You must have raised him to be a chip off the old block.

Logan Wilkerson

Fairview, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2004 8:24 pm    

ive allways had the honor to play music with my family. being only 16 im still wondering what they are calling "country music" these days. i wish we had singers back like merle haggard and conway twiity , but music row just aint what it use to be, ill allways cherish the memories ive had jamming with my parents!

------------------
sho-bud pro2 custom
session 400 b/w series

Mark Metdker

North Central Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2004 3:17 am    

Wow, lots of great replies. And I thought I was the only one!.

Paul, I have tried to sit Steve down and show him the basics of the steel, but he just can't get the hang of it. Guess he'll just have to stay with the guitar. As you know, these crazy instruments aren't for everyone!
My 14 year old daughter desperatley wants a drum kit......but I'm really trying to get her into something else!

JERRY THURMOND

sullivan mo u.s.a.
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2004 4:07 am    

Me an my brother each have a son who plays in a band togather, it is a lot of fun. Jerry

Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2004 4:21 am    

I taught my step-son guitar when he was in the 4th grade, it it had not been for him, I probably would have never learned steel, he would come home & sing songs over & over so I could learn the licks. When he became a teenager he played with many of the bands I was in, then a few years later we had a trio together with a drummer. My step-son also played bass guitar & was great at impersonating other singers. We still play together a lot.
I would like to ask a favor of all who read this, he is suffering from bladder cancer & is undergoing treatment at this very moment I am writing this, if you could all just ask a prayer for his recovery, I would appreciate it. His name is Mel Rhodes, thanks in advance guys.

Ernie Pollock

------------------

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2004 4:22 am    

Hey Mark, Go get her a drum kit, She can come over to Durant and play with us!!

Mark Metdker

North Central Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2004 4:24 am    

Hey James. Marshall is the guy that takes all my money already, I hate to give him even more of it!! I was in Durant Friday taking some guitars over there for repair. In fact, I bought my BMI from David over at Marshall's.
I'll make you a deal. I'll get her a kit if we can keep it at your house. I'll bring her by every other day to practice!

Jerry Lee Newberry

Prim, AR USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2004 4:57 am    

I get to gig with my 10 year old grandson. IT is great. My wife and daughter sing some and my 6 year old grandson is beging to sing. It is great to travel and do this with the family. Jerry

Tommy Mark

Port Perry Ont, Can.
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2004 5:27 am    

My 15yr old son and I pick together alot. He is an accomplished bass player and dobro man.He toured this past summer with Lorne Buck and the Backwoodsmen on Dobro, and is up for Dobro player of the year at the Northern Bluegrass Awards in November.Its good to know that a family member is going to carry on the tradition. Tom

Mark Metdker

North Central Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2004 5:29 am    

My congrats to you and your son Tommy. You must be very proud!

------------------
BMI S-10
Peavey Session 500

Band Pics
http://community.webshots.com/album/176544894AuXSmi

My other hobby
http://community.webshots.com/album/56863057VldOYC

Work Pics
http://community.webshots.com/album/104144205xDgckj

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2004 6:30 am    

My son (now 27) and I have been doing steel shows together for sometime now and when the gospel group goes out he goes with me also, he plays rhythm guitar.
John Buffington

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2004 8:40 am    

I play Dobro at the "Good Ole Boys" opry show in Barling, Ar. on Friday nights with my son Jerry Jr. on lead guitar and Jerry Newberry and Austin Stewart on steel guitar. I get to witness the fast development of 10 year old Austin and he feels like family also. Jerry Jr. is a very good 6 string player as well as as excellent drummer when necessary.
Jerry

Ken Thompson

Great Falls, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2004 10:38 am    

I'll add mine to the mix. My son is the lead singer and bass player in our band. I'm the old guy and steel player. It is great!! Here's pics and info for anyone with lots of time on their hands.
www.montanaponies.com