The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Commander cody's steel Players?
Scott Appleton

Ashland, Oregon
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2004 9:31 am    

The only referance i can find about the steel players
was Bobby Black and the "West Virginia Creeper"
I know Bobby most likely played the "Seeds and Stems Again" trac. Does any one know the Steel player history for the " Lost Airmen"

------------------
Mullen S12
Acoustic 165 100W tube
71 Tele, Regal 45, Gretch
Lap, Columbia Lap, Line 6

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2004 10:14 am    

I believe Ernie Hagar did an album with them. I don't know if he performed live with the Airmen.

------------------
Dave Zirbel-
Sho-Bud Super Pro, 8 x 5, ZB Custom D-10 8 x 5, Webb 6-14E, Fender Vibrasonic Custom,
The Mother Truckers

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2004 11:12 am    

Didn't Herb Steiner play with CC? He probably can tell us more about it!

Kind Regards, Walter
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf

------------------

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2004 11:39 am    

I was friends with those boys but the only gig I ever did with the LPA's... minus George... was at the Armadillo World HQ in 1973 backing up Ronstadt on a quick pickup gig. She was Lowell George's girlfriend at the time and decided she'd open up for Little Feat at the 'Dillo. Cody's band was in town, and I just came off a Michael Murphey tour, and we put it together.

Cody's steel players, as I recall, were Steve Davis (Creeper), Bobby Black, Ernie Hagar, and for a short time, Jimmy Day. Jimmy left the band because back then he was too weird even for the LPA's.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2004 11:56 am    

The Creeper and Bobby Black were the only steeler's in the LPA that I'm aware of. After their demise in '75, Cody formed 'The Commander Cody Band' which fortunately retained Black. After that, he rarely had a steeler on board until the current lineup which has had at least 2 steelers rotating when available for the last few years. Sure wish they'd make it to Oahu soon. Til then, another greasy cheese burger will have to do.

Glad to see the more informed chime in to fill in the blanx, and get me up to date on the facts. Now back to my burger.

[This message was edited by Ron Whitfield on 03 April 2004 at 01:08 PM.]

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2004 2:34 pm    

I remember seeing them in Champaign Illinois in the late 70's and they had a guy playing a Sho-Bud Professional that looked just like mine. I remember talking to him but I don't recall his name. I don't know if he did any recording with them either. Anybody have any idea who I might be talking about?

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2004 2:35 pm    

I dont know the history, but I can tell you that these days they sometimes use Don E Curtis out of St. Louis. Don gets that Commander Cody thang just right and really rocks out with those guys. Hard slamming swingin boogie-woogie music. Don E's solo on "Seeds and Stems" from their last release is extra perty. Check it out. Don and Mark Emerick make for some of the best steel/tele duo jamming I've ever heard.

Brad Sarno

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2004 10:17 pm    

Might have to jump in on this one, hey imagine if someone taped that Armadillo gig with the Planet Airmen meets Herb Ronstadt band.

Just about every article I've ever seen mentions that Bobby Black replaced the Creeper in 1970, and I'd have to say no way.
I'm not a 100%, but the CC&TLPA debut came out in 1971, and I'm pretty sure the live cuts were from 1971, or late 1970. The studio stuff was most likely 1970.
Bobby was still recording as the Black Brothers around this time, in fact they had a 1971 single.
Creeper got the boot in 1971, and for a short time they might not have even had a steel player until they recruited Bobby.

Bobby's debut was the group's second album in 1972.
In 1974 he split the group for Nashville, then they tried Jimmy Day but that didn't work out for some reason and he quit after a few nights. (or weeks, depending on the source)
Another steel player David Wright (and yes he's on the Forum) had been working with the group, but after Day’s short stint they turned to Ernie Hagar. Andy Stein called Ernie on a Tuesday evening and he was playing his first gig with them on that Friday.
I love Bobby, but Ernie smoked as well, he (sadly) only appeard on one album with them 'Commander Cody & His Lost Planet Airmen', (Warner Bros BS 2847), their fifth long player and the first on WB.

Meanwhile, Bobby Black got very dissatisfied with the Nashville scene and in 1976, he was back with the group.
Hoyt Axton produced the second studio album for WB called "Tales From The Ozone", which by all accounts received very little promotion, despite a single from the last LP actually making the charts.

1976 was also the year that they appeared in the film 'Hollywood Boulevard' which features the Bobby Black era group in a scene. It was made by Joe Dante and Allan Arkush, and of course Dante later made films like The Howling and Gremlins (the latter with Hoyt Axton), cool horror meets comedy film that were very well created.

Anyway, the CC&TLPA then cut "Got a Live one Here" with the addition of Norton Buffalo to the band. It was recorded at Hammersmith Odeon in London. After they returned from Europe in the winter of 1977, the band split, then Commander Cody formed his group.

I'm a bit hazy on the latter versions.

Robbie Bossert

WESCOSVILLE,PA,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2004 10:32 pm    

Ernie also appeared on a Live radio broadcast released on CD by Relix Records. It's a good disc if you can still get your hands on a copy.

Robbie Bossert

Winnie Winston

Tawa, Wellington, NZ * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2004 3:19 am    

I saw them three times live at the "Main Point" in Bryn Mawyr, PA. Twice was with Bobby Black, once was with Ernie Hagar. The pic of Ernie Hagar in my Pedal Steel Book was taken at one of those gigs.

JW

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2004 4:58 am    

On the East Coast these days, Tiny Olsen and John Widgren fill in on steel chores. The Commander lives now up in Woodstock New York.

------------------
Regards, Craig

Kevin Macneil Brown

Montpelier, VT, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2004 5:05 am    

I swear I remember hearing a LPA version og "Beat Me Daddy Eight the Bar" of radio station WBZ out of Boston, back in the early 70s, with Bobby Black playing a tasty steel chorus. The album version was different-- live, I think, with West Virginia Creeper. Anybody know what I heard? A single, maybe?

[This message was edited by Kevin Macneil Brown on 03 April 2004 at 02:36 PM.]

Chuck McGill

An hour from Memphis and 2 from Nashville, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2004 5:15 am    

"Well here I sit. All alone with a broken
heart.......

Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2004 7:41 am    

I got to see them live a few times in the 70's.
Twice with Bobby and from the side of the stage
right next to Ernie. I also remember seeing
one of Cody's bands in the 80's with Steve
Fishell on the steel.

Russ Young

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2004 7:45 am    

Now here's a thread that brings back memories ... or maybe I should say "recollections" -- I was pretty wild back in the heyday of CC&LPA. Fortunately, there is some pretty good history on Commander Cody's web site: the steelers mentioned there include the West Virginia Creeper ("fired for being too creepy"), Bobby Black, Steve Fishell, Pete Siegel and John Wingren.

I saw them live several times between 1973 and 1977, at venues ranging from a 200-"seat" club in my college's student union to a 16-hour mega-concert at the Ontario Motor Speedway. I also saw them at the Oakland Coliseum with the New Riders of the Purple Sage (not to mention the Grateful Dead) in '76 or '77. Bobby Black and Buddy Cage in back-to-back sets -- those were the days!

[This message was edited by Russ Young on 03 April 2004 at 07:47 AM.]

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2004 8:42 am    

I really enjoyed Ernie Hagar's contribution as well. But Tales From the Ozone" is one of my all time favorite records! Wonderful work by Bobby, of course, but also a lot of great songs! And of course, Hoyt had a heck of an ear for great songs, and wrote more than a few of them himself. If you don't have this cd, get it!

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2004 9:26 am    

One of my favorite albums is CC&TLPA 1975, which lists Ernie Hagar on Steel. This was the first I had heard them and laways loved the song California Okie, great steel playing on that.Funny Thing is that the credits don't list George Frayne, I guess it was understood he was there. Craig

[This message was edited by Craig Stock on 03 April 2004 at 09:27 AM.]

Russ Young

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2004 9:52 am    

If I remember correctly, "George Frayne" was credited with doing the artwork for some of the album covers, but the piano player was always identified as "Commander Cody."

Prof. Frayne showed up at my college in '78 or '79, lecturing on creativity, art and music, and playing some boogie woogie piano. I think he was advertised as "Commander Cody" to get us to come to a Friday-night lecture, though ...

Tom Olson

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2004 2:27 pm    

How "creepy" do you have to be to get fired from CC & TLPA for being "too creepy?"

Seriously, does anyone know the real reason why the Creeper got fired?

Robbie Bossert

WESCOSVILLE,PA,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2004 11:46 pm    

George's brother Chris was a talented artist as well and did some of the artwork on several album covers. Sadly, he passed away a few years ago,

Robbie Bossert

Alan Pagliere

Brooklyn, NY, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2004 6:31 am    

Pardon my reminiscing....
I listened to the LPA while in on the east coast, and saw them live several times. Later, in 1978, I moved with my first steel here to the birthplace of the LPA, and so was a bit too late to meet up with them personally. But there are reminders of their legacy here.
Bill Kirchen's brother still does carpentry here. Chris Frayne, who did the Commander Cody album covers, was part of a graphics design place called Crow Quill Graphics with a couple of other guys. They did the artwork for a local joint called Mr. Flood's Party (most people in Ann Arbor have heard tell of the place if indeed they weren't there drinking beer, admiring the wacky decor, and listening to every great band, local and national that came through town). Some of Crow Quill's art shows up here and there and one of the other Crow Quill guys, Zeke Mallory, still lives in town and still does great work.
IMHO, some of the true artisic masterpieces of the 1970's were the 8 1/2 by 11, one-color monthly calendars of who was playing when at Mr. Flood's. Occasionally, you run into someone who still has one in their scrapbook.
I had the honor of joining up with the Friday afternoon happy hour band at Flood's, alternately known as The Country Volunteers and The Cadillac Cowboys, whose members hung out with the Fraynes. The Cowboys played every Friday afternoon for years and years until the place closed its doors. If only my chops were as they were then!
Okay, done. I apologize for that diversion, but to close the circle. I'm not at all sure that if I hadn't listened to CC and Bobby Black's steel work in my musicaly formative years, I would have become a steel player at all. There you go.

------------------
Alan Pagliere
MSA Millennium S12 Universal

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2004 9:25 pm    

The Commander and his (REALLY LOST) "Lost
Planet Airmen" will be playing up in Northampton, MA at the indomitable IRON HORSE this Friday (4/9/04).

Although the show will be hop-footin'-it,
no doubt, the original cast can and will never be equaled. Sorry.

My first brush-up with the "big time" you might say, was back in 1973 when the CCATLPA
came to an arena in Yarmouth, Cape Cod. I had tickets for both nights (Fri/Sat).

The next day, at a local hangout in Chatham (The Squire), local fisherman/rock piano player, Otto Zappitone told me to hang around as he was good friends with "The Commander", and that some BIG things were in the air.

Otto wasn't kidding.

A huge afternoon Saturday party took place out at Dean's place near Brewster, after all
of the band got back from a very successful
fishing trip ala Otto and crew.

I got to meet Billy Kirchen, Bobby Black and all the rest of the Airmen.

I'll never forget it. Those guys were the nicest, down-to-earth dudes you'd ever want to meet. They took time to show me stuff and gave me encouragement.

I wish the Commander well, but I know I won't be able to make this gig.

But back when I saw them, in all their prime and glory, no one could touch this great group.

LONG LIVE "THE COMMANDER".

Amen.

Chipper

Winnie Winston

Tawa, Wellington, NZ * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2004 2:58 am    

Ah! Professor Frayne!
Someone once told me that Cody had taught design at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design.
So once when I went to see them at the Main Point in Philly, I was talking with Bobby Black in the dressing room and a very stoned/drunk Cody wanders in. I mention to him that I herd he had been at the MCAD, and that I'm now teaching design at the Philadelphia College of Art.
It was like watching Superman change into Clark Kent. Suddenly his whole persona shifted. "No Shit!" he said, and we sat down and talked for about 20 minutes about our experiences. I had just gotten tenure two years earlier. Cody had been teaching at MCAD For five years, came up for tenure, and the committee felt his music got in the way of his art committment-- so turned him down. At that point he got serious about playing and the LPA got into full gear. In my case, MY tenure committee thought it was cool I played music, and gave me the stamp.
After a great talk, Cody looked at the clock, said, "oops! Gotto go get ready" stood up, and by the time he made it to the door had assumed his stoned/drunk persona.
It was an interesting evening.

JW

Billy Wilson

El Cerrito, California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2004 12:49 pm    

There playin in the Bay Area in a couple of weeks. Kirchen won't make it but the rest will. two nights at a small bar: 19 Broadway in Fairfax Fri and Sat 16th and 17th. Lookin forward to it. I wonder if Bobby will bring pedals or not. BW

Billy Wilson

El Cerrito, California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2004 12:50 pm    

There playin in the Bay Area in a couple of weeks. Kirchen won't make it but the rest will. two nights at a small bar: 19 Broadway in Fairfax Fri and Sat 16th and 17th. Lookin forward to it. I wonder if Bobby will bring pedals or not. BW