The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A Gibson Grande...this one is just beautiful.
Al Terhune

Newcastle, WA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2003 5:58 pm    

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2563968066&category=33040

Museum quality. For some reason, he says it's a double 8 instead of 7 over 8.

[This message was edited by Al Terhune on 09 October 2003 at 06:59 PM.]

[This message was edited by Al Terhune on 09 October 2003 at 07:01 PM.]

Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2003 8:19 pm    

Definitely a beauty!

Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2003 8:09 am    

You just don't see many in the natural finish-and this one has the type of pickups that are probably the most desireable (like Don Helms'guitar)

Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2003 9:55 am    

Here's one that was at the HSGA Joliet 2002 convention.
http://www.hsga.org/Joliet2002Pictures/Joliet2002InstrumentPix/MikeBeeksGuitar.jpg

------------------
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'

Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2003 6:39 am    

I just wanted to let you know that this left-handed Norwegian was the high bidder on this guitar. Back when I wanted a multi-neck guitar about 50 years ago, I was undecided between a Fender or a Gibson. I wound up with a T-8 Stringmaster, which I don't regret to this day. But, now I have both!
Erv

Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2003 6:43 am    

Erv,- congratulations from a right-handed Norwegian!

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2003 6:46 am    

Congratulations! That is truly a gorgeous instrument and I bet it will sound as good as it looks.

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2003 8:04 am    

Congratulations Erv
Looks like a fine axe !
price of GAS eh ?

[This message was edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 14 October 2003 at 09:05 AM.]

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2003 8:25 am    

Yes, CrowBear, GAS is getting expensive!!!
Uff-Da!

Al Terhune

Newcastle, WA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2003 7:01 pm    

Way to go, Erv. From one left-handed playing steel player forced to play righty to another, I'm really happy for you! It looks like it's just in incredibly-mint condition. Give us a report when you've received and played it. I've got an identical guitar, but in the tobacco sunburst, and it's what I use mostly when I record.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2003 6:03 am    

Al,
If you look at the pictures, there is a little wear showing on the front neck. It looks like "pick" wear. But, all in all, it looks like a nice instrument. But you better believe the price of GAS (guitar acquision syndrome) is definitely going up. After I bought the Gibson, I went back on e-bay and found a new, in box, Gibson Goldtone GA-30RVS amp and put in a winning bid on that also! There has been a recent post about this amp on the Forum here so I went into Harmony Central to check out the reviews and it really got rave reviews. The Console Grande and the Goldtone should make for an awesome combination!
Erv

Karl Oberlander

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2003 10:33 am    

Looks just like mine. I thing mine is a little more dinged but not much. I like the blond color. Check out the pix on my web page.

Kobe

------------------
Gibson D-8 Console Grande - Stringmaster T-8 - Alkire EHarp D-10
Fender Super Reverb
kobe@austin.rr.com
http://home.austin.rr.com/kobeco

Al Terhune

Newcastle, WA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2003 6:51 pm    

Gee, Erv, a new Gibson amp, too? Yeah, that's going to be sounding pretty darn Gibsony (great), if you ask me. By the way, the treats must be flowing for us steel players, as my wife just okayed a money order for me to get a 7-string EH100 -- and I'm doubtin' she's going to let me buy another amp to complement it.

Karl: No way. A double-10 Alkire? Is that legal? I've never seen one, but then I'd never seen a double-8 EH150 until a couple of weeks ago here on the Forum (nor a 10-string EH150). By the way, I think your grande is a few years newer, as it's the four-legger, and Erv's (and mine) is the three-legger. Be that as it may, your collection is very, very, veeeeery nice.

Iain

Edinburgh, Scotland
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2003 2:26 am    

10 string EH-150: there's a couple of pics of mine in "News" and "Gallery" (see Jason Ringenberg section) on band's site www.sunshinedelay.com

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2003 6:27 am    

I'm really anxious to try that Gibson Goldtone amp with the Console Grande. My first amplifier was a Gibson and I always thought the tone was a little "muddy". But it sounds like the new Goldtones are really "state of the art". The one I bought over e-bay is new, in the box, and is sposed to be one of the last ones built in the UK. It is brown and the ones built in the States are black.
Erv

Karl Oberlander

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2003 8:50 am    

Al, I've never seen another Alkire D-10 either. This one is very unique as it doesn't have the logo plates on the headstocks. It may be a one-off trial piece. I dated it from the pots. I've also been in touch with Eddie's sons and am trying to find out more on it. It is in spectacularly clean condition and I've gotten a lot of the original Alkire instruction method material so I can try my hand at that.

As for the Console Grande you may be right on the date. I was told by the uy that I bought it from that it was 1951 but I've been sceptical about that. I've not seen any of the three legged models either to compare. Guess I could open her up and check the pot dates. Probably will when I need to change the strings again. It's got a really nice tone too. Different from the Stringmasters. I'd like to find an amp like Erv's as well but they are very rare I guess.

Keep on steelin'

Kobe

------------------
Fender Super Reverb
kobe@austin.rr.com

Al Terhune

Newcastle, WA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2003 6:50 am    

Erv --

What was your first Gibson amp? I've never had a Gibson amp, but have been keeping an eye out for a deal (an EH100?). And I didn't know the Goldstone was/is made in the U.K. Interesting. You're all set.

Ian --

I DID see your beautiful (you...you...I hate you) 10-string EH150 from that pickup post. That's just not fair, my friend. If you ever feel guilty about having such a rare AMERICAN-made guitar, you might feel better by donating it to someone who respects you, but would welcome back into the country a long, lost buddy. I'll give you my address for future conscientious referral. (!)

Karl --

Ditto on your D10 Alkire! Because you live in Austin, I can't try to make you feel guilty like Ian (like that's going to work), but if you have a living will, I'd be such a wonderful parent to your Eddie.

What I do love, though, is the fact that at least a portion of these rare guitars belong to lap lovers.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2003 9:09 am    

Al,
I can't remember the model Gibson I had. I got my Gibson lap steel around 1952 or so and the amp came with it. I wound up putting a switch and plug-in on it so I could use it as an extension speaker with my Fender amp. By the way, I traded that lap steel off for another Gibson, a 7 string EH 150 w/Charlie Christian pickups. I don't regret making that trade!
Erv

[This message was edited by Erv Niehaus on 17 October 2003 at 10:11 AM.]

Iain

Edinburgh, Scotland
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2003 6:25 am    

Al - to make it worse I got it at such a stupid price 5 years ago the guy in the shop more or less donated it to me to take abroad!
If it's any consolation I toured with it, gigging, in the U.S. for a year, so it saw America...

Al Terhune

Newcastle, WA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2003 7:18 pm    

Ian,

You obviously are a steel lover, so it's only appropriate that this guy put her into your care, as opposed to someone else who would've just turned it around for a buck.

I'm still green...

Al

Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2003 1:30 pm    

They did make a D-10 Alkire E-Harp I had one-they look the same as the the oblong shaped yellow marbloid one (rather two stuck together) and the necks were tiered-too heavy though-might as well add the pedals for all the extra weight

Karl Oberlander

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2003 1:37 pm    

Check ou my web site for pictures of my Alkire D-10 Eharp. It is a 1955 model and is quite nice. It is a bit heavier than most but it is a console so that really doesn't cause any frustration unless I want to use it somewhere else... which I don't. I have others that I can travel with I suppose. I've never seen any other style Eharp thoug. Would you have pictures?

Thanks,

Kobe

------------------
Fender Super Reverb
kobe@austin.rr.com