The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buck Reid (and Lyle!) on 'Letterman'
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2003 7:36 am    

GREAT to see Buck on TV last night! It's an interesting band, to be sure, although the song was on the 'dark' side.

Not Buck's gorgeous red JCH, though - it shone like a beacon, even if he wasn't featured. That guitar looked fabulous!

The guitar-player's orange 6120 Gretsch made me salivate, too - were they Alnico p/ups on it, and is the instrument 'vintage' or re-issue? Maybe Buck knows and will be kind enough to 'post' with some info on the whole experience.

Good to see you on TV again, Buck!

Roger R.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2003 11:05 am    

I heard Buck picking in the Peavey Room at ISGC, and Man, he's got it going on. Chops, tone, taste. Looking forward to the next time!

------------------
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2003 2:15 pm    

He sure has, Mark - I'd never heard of Buck before I went to ISGC 2000 (my first), and Jimmie and Russ introduced him in their set.

I was lucky enough to spend an afternoon with him a couple of years back - he fixed a change on my guitar, but the real benefit was watching him play and stealing ideas !

He's truly exceptional.

RR

Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 7 Nov 2003 4:18 pm    

I had the pleasure of seeing and listening to Buck and Jimmy Crawford in Va and everyone stood on their feet and applauded. They were tremendous and two of the nicest guys I've ever met. If I remember correctly they sold all the CDs they brought.

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2003 2:04 am    

Roger, that Gretch you saw, I believe you said it was an orange 6120, is probably a new re-issue. I think it is billed as a "Duane Eddy" model. There was one at a music store that I was working in. That model has a P90 on it, but I can't remember if it is in the neck or bridge position. I think that all of the new Gretch guitars are made in Japan. I would have liked to hear more of Buck on that tune, but the other lead guitar player really tore it up.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2003 6:31 am    

Thanks, Bob

Yes, they could have been P90s (or even just one); the one I noticed was the 'neck' p/u as his hand obscured the other. He did play well!

I hadn't realised they'd gone as far as doing a Duane Eddy version. Maybe it's also time for the Eddie Cochran model - he DID have a P90 in that position on his 6120. I don't recall Duane's Gretsch' pick-ups, even though I actually got to have a go on it when I played a German TV show with him in the '70s! What a nice man he is - and what an underrated player, too!

Does anyone know when Buck's 'Lyle' tour ends?

RR

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2003 8:01 am    

That was Ray Herndon on the guitar, from Phoenix. He's been on many Lyle records, and was also in McBride and the Ride. Killer player, as is Buck. I saw the show here last month, and was the best show I have seen this year.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2003 9:20 am    

I had the pleasure of listening to Buck play after the Peavey booth closed at the St.Louis show this year. He is a top rate player and is a steeler that I think that will be a pro performer for life. I highly recommend Lyle Lovett's latest release.

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2003 3:17 pm    

Roger, I believe that it is an "Eddie Cochran" model. Hence the P90 in the neck position. They also have a Brian Setzer model. I don't know why I thought it was Duane Eddy. Thanks for jarring my memory. I haven't played very many original Gretch's, but these re-issues play great. I'm not familiar with Gretch guitars enough to know if the re-issues sound as good as the originals, but they seem to be excellent copies.

[This message was edited by Bob Watson on 11 November 2003 at 03:19 PM.]