The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mike Sweeney
Carl West

La Habra, CA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2003 6:03 am    

I just had the pleasure of listening to Mike Sweeney's CD. This CD has "Sail My Ship Alone". I have to say Mike's playing is exceptional. His touch and feeling just knocked me out. I certainly would like to know more about. Mike if your out there, WHAT A GREAT CD !

Carl West
Emmons LaGrande

Bob Hayes

Church Hill,Tenn,USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2003 8:56 am    

MIKE SWEENY.....is almost the same as the UnNames Fiddler..who I should say IS ALSO Incredably Talanted..and Opinionated.. I got my copy of Mike's last endover..hot off of the presses. Mike Sweeny IS an Incredible Musician, aranger,producer,entertainer,and person.and friend.as is his partner for life Tereasa.For about the past week I've been listening to that album..and his other albums when I'm driving in my van going somewhere.
Mike grew up in S0uthwast Virginia near Blacksburg ,and was,inspired by a few great steel players and proteg's from that area.
He cut a tape/cd back in '87 that was phenominal..and somehow made his way to Nashville..played with some fine bands,and met some other great pickers..along the way he did a stint as staff steeler at Opryland, and was the steeler with Nashcile acts..including The Great Ray Price and the Cherokee Cowboys.He did session work.and became freinds with most of the top steelers in Nashville including LLoyd Green and Bobbee Seymore..I first met him as the staff Steeler at The Famed Nashville Palace near The Opryland Hotel..When he Volunteered to appear at a Jam that I was Promoting in Church Hill, Tn. along with mike was Hall of Famer Herby Walace & group,Mr Emmons Mechanic/Resorer/and picker Bryan Adams,Jerry Flemming (a protegee of Mike) and Steve Lenord of Bristol,Va. When yo see and Hear Mike..you are listening to Pure Honest Feeling..His cut of Teresa Lynn's Song (which is dedicated too his lovely wife..(and also my grandaughters name)on his "Fillin'Up The Dance Floor)is a prime example.Mike's "The Virginia Sessions" has examples of Mikes speed Picking.
Mike's other Albums are also worth having..PSALMS has a cut of "Yes Jesus Loves Me" that blows me away.and His cut of "Mom & DAD Walzt" on his Pure and Simple Country Album,I feel was made for me as Mike always playe it for me when I see him at Jams and Shows. Mike also is now sharring his Talent with his "Steel Guitar Boot Camp" taht is provided at his home near Nashville.Along with "Drill Sgt..Teresa"...Major Mike will drill you through all aspects of the PSG..including various techniqes of blocking ,pickin',pedeling..etc. Mike is personable!!!!he knows how to tell a good joke .and has a world of information. You can EMAIL MIKE,Talk to him on the Forum, sign up for his boot camp, get his other albums, or invite him to you're jam or show.. He IS a Steelers' Steeler. (ok Mike....that will cost you!!!)
Grouchyvet

Carl West

La Habra, CA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2003 9:16 am    

Thanks Bob for some insite on Mike.

Carl West

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2003 12:47 pm    

Well Bob, You just about covered everything. Your just like Ralph Edwards and this was my life. LOL.
Carl, I'm glad you like the album. It was a true JOY to cut it. It WILL NOT be my last. May be one done this fall.
I was born in Roanoke,Va. and raised in Christiansburg,Va. about 25 or 30 miles southwest of there.
There were and are some great steel players to learn from up there such as Jerry Flemming and Mike Calloway and the late Jerry Staley. I also have a first cousin in Blacksburg named Tom Sweeney who is a good steel player so I was very lucky to be exposed to the instrument all my life.
Also as Bob said I've had the honor to work a short while with Ray Price in '98. I worked road dates with Jack Greene when Doug Jernigan couldn't go out on the dates himself. I worked with a few other people some of which you might have heard of but I don't want to bore anyone.
Thanks for the kind words and yes Bob I owe you one.

Mike