The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stage-fright cures?
Anders Brundell

Falun, Sweden
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2003 2:02 am    

How do you guys cure stage-fright? I know that that´s a widespread problem, and also that even some really big names suffer from it, and now I´d like to know if someone have found any non-narcotic and alcohol free method of dealing with it.
I know it´s silly to be nervous and hence play bad, but I can´t make myself react rationally and stay calm, and play at least a bit better. I actually get angry at myself because of this.

[This message was edited by Anders Brundell on 13 June 2003 at 03:03 AM.]

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2003 2:39 am    

There's always some mild intimidation but if you are well rehearsed and are in tune and ready to go my plan would be to play simply at first , keep it close to the melody and after a bit you will loosen up then gradually work in more complex playing..or maybe just keep it simple the whole night !

If you've got a nervous right foot ( volume swell) take your foot off the volume pedal and place it directly on the floor for the first few tunes..this may not help your playing but it will eliminate the nervous volume swell...

Do not make the mistake that most guitar players make which is play everything you know in the first song at full speed and full volume.

I can say that with authority as I have been a bandstand guitar player for 40 years..

Keep in mind, the folks that are there came to listen to a band or listen and dance to a band..for the most part they are happy that you are there at all ! Most of them could care less that you are not playing like Paul Franklin, unless you are Paul Franklin of course...

I am fully setup usually no less than 30 minutes ( usually more than 45 ) before the gig, I wash my hands ,( always and mandatory ) and relax a few minutes and then I check tuning about 5 minutes before the first tune. I do sit and do some scale exercises for a few minutes as well just to work out some kinks..

good luck

don't forget to play loud !
And have fun...

tp

PS: How do you get a Guitar player to turn the volume down ?

Put sheet music in front of him

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 13 June 2003 at 03:47 AM.]

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2003 3:00 am    

Yoga !

Neil Lang

Albert Lea, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2003 4:12 am    

I can really relate to this problem. It is at its worst when I play at Steel conventions, Jams & such. It seems when I & my steel are "The Focus" and there are Steel Pickers watching & listening.......it can get so bad I can hardly play. Now this sounds wierd for someone who has played for over 35 years, backed & or played warmup for several country Stars. It is NOT a problem or at least NOT near as much of one while playing backup for a country show or a dance gig. Its something to do with being in the SPOTLIGHT while being somehow "Judged" on your picking! And yes, if anyone has a "CURE" please share it with me!!
Thanks, Neil

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2003 4:22 am    

A lot of actors (and some steel players, so I've heard) use beta blockers. They're prescription, but not narcotics. They're usually given to lower blood pressure and they make your heart beat more slowly and evenly. Seems to help with stage fright, but of course I'd recommend trying the non-pharmaceutical routes first.

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2003 4:58 am    

you guys didn't know Cohen used to be a drug dealer, did ya?????

a little Xanax can work wonders too
------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

[This message was edited by Larry Bell on 13 June 2003 at 05:59 AM.]

Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2003 5:00 am    

Tony -

What is it with this hand-washing compulsion? I DO THE SAME THING! I HAVE to wash my hands before I play, or everything's shot.
JC

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2003 5:04 am    

Anders, there is an excellent book titled "The Inner Game of Music" that deals with this subject. It delves into uncovering the causes of this phenomenon, and gives the reader specifc tools and techniques with which to overcome it. There is other useful and interesting information in the book as well that covers the enhancement of the musical listening experience, strategies to use when teaching others, the mental state of improvisation, etc. Highly recommended.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2003 5:50 am    

Anders,
I have found that if I practice enough my hands seem to do the right thing no matter how freaked out I am. Experience might be the best way to deal with stage fright. I've tossed chunks at some very important gigs and wasted a bunch of other people's money at sessions. I get up there and screw up on a regular basis. Nobody dies and usually nobody notices. Mostly I try to stay within myself and just do my best.
Listening to the music around me instead of my internal self loathing seems to help also.

Hang in there, Bob

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2003 5:55 am    

I pray a lot!
Erv

Danny Kuykendall

Fullerton, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2003 6:10 am    

I found that allowing myself to be nervous or anxious was a key to relieving some of the performance anxiety for playing steel, public speaking, playing pool tournaments, etc. Some butterflies are actually good, and will spur you on to play better. Professional athletes will admit that they perform better with some nervousness.
I don't resent the anxiety any more, so I can be anxious and it can be OK. The resentment of the situation (my anxiety) made it worse.

Danny K

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2003 6:13 am    

Jody..washing hands is not a compulsion....it's to get the dirt and grime off my hands from unloading, setting up sound system wires etc...wires that have been on the floor etc..

Why would anyone want to start playing a Steel Guitar, put picks on and pick up the bar..or even worse, start playing a six string ( Tele' with new strings on it )..

all with dirty hands?

I have also refused to let people play my Telecaster without washing their hands first..after all it is mine, and I don't play without washing my hands..and I like the strings and neck to be as clean as possible.

Ok..maybe I have flipped out....

Maybe I need the drugs that Jimbeaux is selling...

tp

Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2003 6:17 am    

I'm with Erv, plus:
Remember, they (audience) have to go to the restroom sometime, even the heavy-hitter pro that's come to check you out, unless of course they have an undergarment in place like a "Depends" for example.
So loosen up, PICK that steel & HAVE FUN!!

Jesse Pearson

San Diego , CA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2003 6:24 am    

Stage fright is just the fear of being criticized, our narcissistic personality traits can cause us to want to avoid such a situation. Busking in a busy downtown at night seemed to help me a lot. It was like, o.k. I'm now standing here in my underwear for every one to see, what's gonna happen? I needed the money so I played over my embarrassment. Then after the first 10 bucks I kinda felt like, yea I play music and they like it. My stage fright now is basically only around really good musicians and me not wanting to get cut too bad. I think if you study real hard and visualize playing in front of people you can minimize the fear. It's a trip how easy it is to forget that not that many people can play music and how impressed they are with such a feat, just remember that and the stage fright usually only lasts for about half way through the first song.

Tony LaCroix

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2003 6:40 am    

Maybe, it's just me, but I've learned to overcome stage-fright by taking myself lightly on stage. The music should already be rehearsed to the point where thinking about it really hard is NOT going to help.
Since the rest of the musicians on stage are probably a little nervous too, smiling and making a joke just before the first tune loosens everybody up, and the crowd notices this. They're there to have fun, after all. (If they're not, tell em to go home.)

Make fun of the drummer or bass player. This is rarely difficult.

[This message was edited by Tony LaCroix on 13 June 2003 at 07:40 AM.]

Mike Delaney

Fort Madison, IA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2003 6:44 am    

Danny K. is exactly right. I have played live for over 40 years, and if I didn't have a bit of anxiety before the gig I would really be worried.

All this amounts to is a small dose of adrenalin that is as of yet unused. This is the same stuff that makes you run fast and jump high, and will help you play well.

A sports coach once told me to embrace that feeling; means you're ready, on edge, prepared to do your best.

If you fight it you'll lose, but if you embrace it, it will become your friend and helper.

Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2003 6:50 am    

A six pack of scotch usually works for me!

Bill Fulbright

Atlanta, GA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2003 8:27 am    

Although relatively new to steel (2 1/2 yrs now), I am not to performance.

I am always a little nervous before I begin, and that is a good thing... I just channel the nervous energy into being focused. I am there to play first of all for me, and be sure I am playing to suit the music with a worthy contribution...

That there is an audience out there usually doesn't register until they start participating with the band... then it really gets fun and I totally get into it because I know they are having a good time.

The only time I am feeling the "flop-sweats" or in a creative paralysis is because I am lost or disoriented in the tune, or because I am simply not prepared.

------------------
Bill Fulbright
Mullen D-10 8x7; Gibson ES-165; Peavey Vegas 400;
ICQ# 2251620 My Music Site

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2003 8:31 am    

If you are playing a steel show make sure you don't use the "Imagine the audience in its underware" trick. The resulting horror is much worse than stage fright.

Bob

Dirk B

Harrisburg, MO, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2003 9:14 am    

Quote:
I am always a little nervous before I begin, and that is a good thing...

Quote:
if I didn't have a bit of anxiety before the gig I would really be worried.

I don't think that "a little nervous" is what Anders is talking about. If I relate it to myself, he is talking about not being able to pick the intended notes, having your picks bounce off dead strings that you miss-blocked, having your right hand move like it has arthritis, having your timing and intonation off, and never getting on track.

I play a once-a-month jazz lunch gig with a bass player pal that went swimmingly until yesterday when 3 of the top musicians in town were there to see me. Nothing went right until they left 3/4 of the way through the set. Then my bass player noticed I was starting to swing. Now what does that tell you?

My bass player pointed out that I was allowing them to be a receptive audience for my "inner critic." He also pointed out that my inner critic is the same person that criticizes OTHER musicians when they're up there on the bandstand, and possibly they are having a rough time of it up there too.

[This message was edited by Dirk B on 13 June 2003 at 10:20 AM.]

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2003 9:20 am    

I can usually tell how nervous I am by my tone, it shows up first in my hands. If I start out nervous, but my hands and playing are ok then I settle down, however, for the occasional session or performance when I can't afford to be off I'll take a half (10mg)an Inderal ( the generic is: propranolol), a beta blocker. A friend, who is a scriptwriter suggested them. Every writer he knows takes one before he or she has to pitch a script. If I take a whole one, I can tell that I've taken something, a half is just enough to steady the hands and I'm ok after that.

Anne Marie O Keeffe

Co.Waterford,Ireland.
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2003 9:34 am    

Stage fright is a figment of our imaginations and proof of our huge egos! I am a singer.....of course I'm well aware that as such and being female I am considered beneath contempt by certain steel players on here but that isn't the point, I'm a performer, thus the ego comment!!!! We all know that if we didn't feel we had something to offer the public we wouldn't be on stage in the first place so I reckon it's just a matter of remebering that we have a talent and that we are about to display it to whomever is "honoured" enough to be in our presence. Therefore there is no reason to be unduly nervous..... and anyway a little burst of adrenalin is good. Go for it guys!

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2003 11:00 am    

i'm w: AMOK !
stage fright goes away quick once things get rollin'
learn to relax before goin on.
i do Yoga or Meditation sometimes
or do like Erv
For those that Play Musik, Pray Twice

Anders Brundell

Falun, Sweden
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2003 1:01 pm    

Thanks everone for an overwhelming response, with lots of good (and some other) advices!
I have no beta blockers at home, and Dirk B describes my case very well - nothing works; it´s like trying to play after being out whithout gloves in mid winter temperatures for hours - just a bit worse! (I´ve more then once thought of founding Steel Guitar Assasination after really bad gigs.)
One friend told me to stay sober and pretend being dead drunk (!)
I´ll let you know tomorrow after the gig. Maybe this litte Forum therapy might help after all. I´ve decided to have fun tomorrow, anyway, and that makes it feel better already.
Thanks again!
Anders

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2003 1:12 pm    

Quote:
Stage fright is a figment of our imaginations and proof of our huge egos!
Anne Marie, I have to disagree. Stage fright and nervousness are very palpable and I think are based on personal fears, justified or not, more than huge egos. I don't really want to get into a discussion of the ramifications of ego, but I think the pressure of uncertainty, expectations and doubt is very real.
Quote:
I am a singer.....of course I'm well aware that as such and being female I am considered beneath contempt by certain steel players on here but that isn't the point, I'm a performer, thus the ego comment!!!!
One way of looking at performing with a steel guitar is the same as the dynamic of the business office, where the boss has a large desk, as a barrier, between him and the world. So by the same token, as a steel player I have my guitar between me and the audience, as a protection. I've worked with singers who had to sing with a guitar, so as to have something between them and the crowd, so if you're just walking out there with your voice, you could say that you are taking a very fearless position.