The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BC Steel Guitar Jamboree
Travis Bernhardt

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 19 May 2003 7:39 pm    

Just got back from the BC Steel Guitar Jamboree--what a great event! Inspiring playing from people like Al Brisco, John Lacey, Duane Becker, Bruce Hamilton, Ray Montee, Hank Rodgers and many others whose names I'm drawing a blank on right now, but whom I assure you were just as good (there was a Bob somethingorother, and maybe an Ed whathisname... it'll come to me...)!

I arrived Saturday night, and caught Duane Becker at the OK Falls Hotel, with a local band. Then plopped myself down in the front row for the whole of Sunday grinning like a ninny.

I got to hear what the fabled push-pull Emmons sounds like thanks to Bruce Hamilton--what a strong, clear sound that really cuts through the band but without being harsh. Actually, there were a lot of great guitars there. All different, but all good IMHO.

Okanagan Falls is in a nice area, too. Makes for a pleasant drive. Thanks to all the steel players for putting on a great show!

-Travis

Len Ryder

Penticton B.C.
Post  Posted 20 May 2003 2:27 pm    

Yes Travis, it was a great weekend and I think we all had a "Hoot".
The "local group" (and they're great) were at the hotel on Friday also. Bruce Hamilton and I sat in with Duanne on that night. Bruce sat in with the guys in Penticton while I sat in with another group at the local Legion on Sat.
The turnout was really good and a very large bunch of Kudos to Don Benoit for spearheading this super event.

Len Ryder
Princeton B.C.

Bruce Hamilton

Vancouver BC Canada
Post  Posted 21 May 2003 5:44 am    

I might add that it certainly was refreshing to see some young people there actively listening,asking questions and getting as much information as possible. The steel might have a future yet.

Bill Nauman

Cresco,Pa,USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2003 8:42 am    

Sure wish i could have been there . I would have seen a few old buddys and shown off my grey hairs! Some i have not seen in 20 yrs or so. Keep Pickin' Ah the sweet smell of success..Bill in Vegas